Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S vs. 996 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 03:58 PM
iudelt89
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S vs. 996 911

Hey guys new the forum as well. Looking at jumping into a 2006 cayman S or a 996 911. Any thoughts on pros/cons to either? The car will be used for weekend drives and HPDE during the summer months only. I need something that is going to hold up to some track abuse. (I realize there will be a bit of bias posing in the cayman section).

I've been researching for a while and have heard a few things about reliability issues with the 996 engines, but haven't heard much about the cayman S. Budget is going to be a factor. I'm looking at $30k max to pick something up. I may also look at a track prepped 944 turbo, but I'm trying to go for something N/A. I've seen far too many FI cars have heat related issues at the track.

I have a mach 1 mustang I've built up for HPDE, but after this last event, its getting to the point where I need something with higher limits. Dumping even more money into it just isn't financially responsible.

I drove a 2016 Cayman GTS at Road America for a full 30 minute session and loved it. Exceptionally well balanced with very high limits even though the stock brake pads and tires weren't the best. The only cars I couldn't run down were a GT4 and GT3 RS, both of which were on slicks. That actually pushed me in this direction. I don't have any experience in a 911 though.

I'll be looking for something that has some work already done (reliability mods, suspension, brakes, short shift, etc). If anyone knows of anything listed or has something for sale that might fit the bill, please let me know.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:18 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

IMO you would be better off looking for a 2009 Cayman or Cayman S. The infamous IMS bearing issue affects the earlier models of both the 911 and the 986/987. There should be some 2009+ cars out there in your price range. I'd try to find a car without too many options and mileage around 50-60k. Maintenance records are always a plus. And be sure to get an independent prepurchase inspection.

FWIW I track a 2014 base Cayman and am having a blast with it.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 PM
iudelt89
5th Gear

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can stretch to a 2009, or buy at the right price to make some oil sump upgrades before I head to the track.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:30 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The 996 is rear engine, and the Cayman is mid-engine, so they handle differently.
On a longer, faster course the 996 might have an advantage (if you go for the 996.2 with the 3.6 engine and add some decent suspension mods). The rear-engine 911s are known to dig out of corners well and put all their power down coming out of corners. They are more difficult to drive well, but reward the driver who can handle them.
On short, tight, autocross type tracks it is more likely that the Cayman will come out ahead because of the quick transitional nature of mid-engine cars. They are well balanced and known to be easier to drive to 9/10ths. They feel lighter and more agile than a 996, but they feel slightly less powerful which is mostly due to higher gearing.
If you can find a 987.2 (2009-12) Cayman S, and particularly with the PDK, I don't think a stock 996 will beat it, save a TT or GT3.
But the driving experience is different in both, and there are many die-hard 996 rear-engine fanatics for good reason. They are fun to drive.
I've owned both, and although I did not own the best 996 for sporty driving (my 996 was a cab with a tiptronic trans), I do prefer the feel, size, and modernity of my two 987s.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:57 AM
iudelt89
5th Gear

Thanks for the responses. All good things to consider. I think the new cayman spec class has me sold. Just need to hunt for the right car.

Quick Reply: Cayman S vs. 996 911