Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on new models

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thoughts on new models

Hello all, I am new to this forum but not new to Porsche. I am currently on my 3rd Cayman (2014 base/manual) after having S models before. I always only go manual. Last week my car was in the shop (cracked ignition part) and they gave me a 2017 911 (pdk) to use.

I truly can't believe that not every review has not been negative.
Compared to my 2014 Cayman, the interior looked cheap! The pseudo engine cover rattled on open and close due it's flimsy material. The dash looked kinda like a chevy or ford. I was so confused, even more so when I found the sticker in the trunk and it showed $108,000.00!

The car def has torque, but in kind of the same way a new infinity has it. Sure the 0-60 is impressive, but overall the turbo engine SUCKS in everyday driving. There is def lag. I really couldn't believe the difference. I had the car for a week. I really drove it hard and wanted to like it..I wanted to like the engine..but there was no way.

I got my Cayman back and could really appreciate what I had. The better sound, looks and the overall quality is hard to miss.

My lease ends in March and I have to figure out what to do. I might end up looking for a 911SC to keep forever. I definitely know I can't be in anything with that engine. You might be wondering why I just don't buy what I currently have. This is a good question but this being my 3rd Cayman, I kind of wanted to change things up a little, just not for the worse.

Porsche has followed the money trail, and their competition, to people who would rather have a status symbol and an impressive 0-60 time than an engaging true sports car experience. Sorry if I am being such a downer but I really needed to rant a little. Maybe it's just me. I like to drive! I don't care about 0-60 or automation or rear steering. I want to FEEL the car and the road. Anyway you get it.

Thanks for reading.

X-
Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

my thoughts: compression is not a replacement for displacement and flat sixes forever.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

but, (there is always a but)

from a technology view the new 911 is an amazing car. The only worry I have is will a 2017 911 still be cool in 2047? Will it still run?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:46 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try and pick up a lightly used Cayman GTS.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I owned a 2014 911 S (manual) that I thought was great until I had a 981 Boxster S loaner for a week. The 911 is still a great car, but the 981 platform is just so much better...
Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to the forum, iFox.

You are a driving enthusiast. It's no surprise that you don't like what you are seeing/experiencing. I can relate to it. If you thought it's bad now, wait for a few more years! Your days of buying a new Porsche that meets an enthusiast's expectations are nearly over. We have a glimmer of hope right now; but, not for long!

Besides a 911 SC, I would also look at 997.2 GTS, if you want to move away from 981.1 platform. As sliollio pointed out, Cayman GTS is an awesome choice. If you get it, keep it, for good! For open top, 981.1 Boxster (2.7 in particular, if you enjoy revving it to the redline) is unbeatable!
Old 05-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Just came back this week from driving new 911 in Black forest in Germany - and my impressions are similar.
Full leather package but the dashboard didn't make expensive impression.

Engine pools very strong. While in boost. Too bad it's awful lot time isn't in boost.

From the inside you don't hear engine at all. Even full throttle at 5,000 rpm.
On every throttle release or downshift a lot of burbles come from the exhaust. But on throttle - nothing.
Inside the tunnels there a lot of noise - so i suspect that from outside the engine sounds.
But from the driver seat - nothing.

New PASM is very good though.
Small steering wheel is also very welcome addition.
Steering feel still is not as good as mine 987.2.

We drove two 911 cabrios 2s and 4s both with PDK, PSE, pasm, sport chrono, rear steering.
maybe they had some other bits.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really not surprised. Porsche's parent company is trying to survive the diesel ECU scandal. If course the interior, the driving experience, etc, is compromised. It's all very sad.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Not sure I understand. The interior of the .2 is pretty much identical to the .1, save for a nicer screen and better steering wheel. And the .1 Carrera interior is near identical to the 981 Cayman interior. What specifically was cheaper than your Cayman S? I own both and I've driven the .2 and have no idea what you're referring to.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new models