Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder market

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:47 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Might be worth monitoring the used market. Have seen a few pop up -- seems to be a trend of people buying the Spyder, then getting a GT3/GT3RS/GT4 allocation and swapping out. That said, always hard with those types of situations, where sellers struggle to come to terms with reality on pricing (materially below where they bought).
Old 05-16-2016, 08:23 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Might be worth monitoring the used market. Have seen a few pop up -- seems to be a trend of people buying the Spyder, then getting a GT3/GT3RS/GT4 allocation and swapping out. That said, always hard with those types of situations, where sellers struggle to come to terms with reality on pricing (materially below where they bought).

not sure used spyder market for nice cars w/ lwb seats is materially below where people bought. last used car I saw change hands with very few miles lwb seats and great options sold for 5k over msrp.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I think we're going to see the market tick up.

1. It's spring and people are thinking that it'd be nice to spend the summer with a topless car.
2. Production has completely ended and dealers are getting greedy - lots of the ones I've talked to now don't mind if they have a few Spyders sit around as they aren't getting any more.
3. There aren't many on the market - many that show up on dealer sites (and autotrader) are ordered cars that are being delivered.

There is still demand and the 718 coming out with the turbo 4 is going to, for some people, make the 3.8l Flat-6 that much more appealing.

I think we'll see an uptick in pricing over the summer, especially for new untitled cars with good options, and we'll see the used market tick up in response as well.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:44 PM
SIC 58
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks to all. I am closing in on one.Hopefully by this weekend it will be a done deal and in the garage!
Thanks Rob
Old 05-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC 58
Thanks to all. I am closing in on one.Hopefully by this weekend it will be a done deal and in the garage!
Thanks Rob
Good luck Rob, posts pics if you get it!
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

This has been a blast to watch... Really nice group of Spyder/Boxster enthusiasts. I hope who ever was behind the Spyder gets some credit.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC 58
Hello,
Late to the game here...Selling a nice Panamera GTS to pick up a '16 Boxter Spyder.. Any leads over the next few weeks appreciated. Silver, white, grey at top of list.. With AC a must...thanks in advance
I'm thinking of buying a used panamera gts to put work miles on it.. How is it as a daily driver?.. I can't think of any other NA v8 European sedans at the moment which is what is attracting me to it. Is that engine worth the price and fuel economy penalty vs the v6 if you're putting miles on it?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I'm looking to Purchase a second spyder, I have reached out to 4 different dealers that have one spec to my liking

Thus far only discount given would be 3% off non lwb, and they state there are only 14 new spyders left and they have 2

Having a hard time believing there are only 14 left ?????
Old 05-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

14 sounds about right based on how many were out there 6 weeks ago when I bought mine and how popular the car has become since.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also another stated they would not sell to individual registering out of state which seems odd

Similar to tonyco and pts in Newport Beach

That is new to me
Old 05-17-2016, 10:30 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm thinking of buying a used panamera gts to put work miles on it.. How is it as a daily driver?.. I can't think of any other NA v8 European sedans at the moment which is what is attracting me to it. Is that engine worth the price and fuel economy penalty vs the v6 if you're putting miles on it?
I feel the same way Alex.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
Also another stated they would not sell to individual registering out of state which seems odd

Similar to tonyco and pts in Newport Beach

That is new to me
GOSH. I don't want to say anything specific, but I've heard that from a dealer only to read later someone else "OUT OF STATE" buying from the same dealer so I guess it just depends on the person. Not cool. But congrats on your decision to buy another one!!!! Makes me feel better. LOL. I want another one too... THERE I SAID IT.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
14 sounds about right based on how many were out there 6 weeks ago when I bought mine and how popular the car has become since.
how has the spyder become more popular "in the last few weeks".. what do we know about this? no doubting, just curious if this is based on facts or just our group's quasi-incestual news/rumor/self-reinforcing machine at work.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
how has the spyder become more popular "in the last few weeks".. what do we know about this? no doubting, just curious if this is based on facts or just our group's quasi-incestual news/rumor/self-reinforcing machine at work.
I was following the market for weeks before I bought. Inventory was healthy and pretty level, not many selling. Around 65 cars for sale. Since I bought mine, buzz seems to be up everywhere, inventory is way down and more dealers are asking for a premium for the last few cars. My guess is the weather helped, but there were lots of cars to choose from 6 weeks ago. There are very few out there now. My SA told me dealers are begging to trade for any last cars available.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:57 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I was following the market for weeks before I bought. Inventory was healthy and pretty level, not many selling. Around 65 cars for sale. Since I bought mine, buzz seems to be up everywhere, inventory is way down and more dealers are asking for a premium for the last few cars. My guess is the weather helped, but there were lots of cars to choose from 6 weeks ago. There are very few out there now. My SA told me dealers are begging to trade for any last cars available.
I try so hard NOT to talk about values/investment etc.. otherwise i wouldn't drive and modify mine to my liking. But I must indulge and say that this car is AWESOME, and I do think it will hold it's value now that the 718 cars are out...

we went for quite a spirited drive this weekend through the twisties (gratuitous pics included because posts are worthless without pics IMO) and the sound of all these 3.8's revving through the turns and hills in the forest was positively captivating.

when that huge wing-like trunk comes up it's just so special, delicate and beautiful...

I think this car will become more appreciated as one of the truly special porsches in the future, and I almost understand those people (like our very own "jeanrabalais" here who buys multiple ones. I think I would drive mine with even more abandon if I had another mint one sitting in a garage.

There are very special "normal cars made occasionally which should form parts of a collection.. I'm not talking F40/F50 level uber unobtanium.. but really interesting cars like the manual V12 Vantage, the BMW z3 M coupe, a manual Ferrari 599 (good luck landing one now)... cars which the cognoscenti love.

The spyder is one of them... I LOVE this machine so much... and I only hope I can figure out a way to hold on to this one when the 991.2 GT3 manual comes along.

Quick Reply: Spyder market