Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Dead battery? Why is my spyder ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP! Dead battery? Why is my spyder ticking?

Got in for a morning drive. Tried to open rear hood. Click but wouldn't open. Same for front. Brake failure warning.

Car started clicking. Like some relay is in a loop. Getting g faster and louder.

Ignition key out. Can't get it to stop with key in or out.

Is there a way to get frunk open when battery not working so I can disconnect the battery.

Help!
Old 05-15-2016, 01:23 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Hi Marc the Spyder is at the other garage but I believe the easiest solution would be to supply power through the cigarette lighter. Do you have a battery maintainer? The better ones by CTEK have a supply mode as well which means you would not have to wait to get the battery charged up.

If you do not have a battery maintainer or cannot get access to one look here. Orchard supply usually has them in stock.

http://ctek.com/int/en/storelocator

Second option would be powering the red bar in the fuse box + ground to the door hinge : for the purpose of popping the hood only? (not to jump the engine). You will need a 12V supply for this. You will need to try this with either the FOB or console latch...not sure which way works.

Third option (and the worse to do by far) is to get access to the emergency hood release.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...fuse-jump.html

Last edited by il pirata; 05-15-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:33 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks ilpirata.

I was able to get the frunk open with the emergency switch in the fusebox and get the battery jumped. Search YouTube for open boxster frunk without power.

The battery was dead as a door nail after only about 10 days of inactivity. I think I've left idle like this at least once before and had no problem starting up.

I usually leave the car in the garage with top down. Noticed I was getting a lot of dust, so pulled the top up but DID NOT LATCH IT DOWN.

Don't know if you need to hook and latch the top securely in order to close the electrical circuit. I wonder if this might have drained the battery down to zero.

Anyway now I'm getting error message that something is wrong w the assisting steering. Still seems to steer normally so not sure what the problem is.

Took the spyder out for a 30 min drive. Seems to be charged up now.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to leave the car locked when not in use as this reduces the battery draw by putting the car "to sleep". I keep mine on a CTEK trickle charger.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The error messages usually go away after a couple of drives. I would think the battery should be under warranty, I would get in touch with the dealer and have them check it.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Did you find out what the issue is? I've left my car parked for 3-8 weeks with out any problems yet.Please report back if it continues to be an issue. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob VN
You might want to leave the car locked when not in use as this reduces the battery draw by putting the car "to sleep". I keep mine on a CTEK trickle charger.
Rob, when you charge the Spyder, do you lock the doors or not? If you charge directly from the battery using a CTEK charger, wouldn't matter. But if you charge through the cigarette lighter or 12V input, I've heard those inputs will no longer be active after some period of time. How is your trickle charger hooked up??
Old 05-16-2016, 11:14 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Rob, when you charge the Spyder, do you lock the doors or not? If you charge directly from the battery using a CTEK charger, wouldn't matter. But if you charge through the cigarette lighter or 12V input, I've heard those inputs will no longer be active after some period of time. How is your trickle charger hooked up??
I charge through the cigarette lighter and have no issues.

Quick Reply: HELP! Dead battery? Why is my spyder ticking?