Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing oil early at 2000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 03:12 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

No expert here either - internet or otherwise.

Got my oil changed at 1,000 miles. Had always heard it was good to do to remove metal shavings and such resulting from break-in. Then read about a study done of oil samples taken from engines during the first few thousand miles showing "elevated wear-in metal levels coming from the pistons and camshafts. . ." Then heard that Honda puts special oil in its cars new from the factory which contains "molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive," which seemed to add legitimacy to the notion that during break-in there is added wear and tear going on.

I know, I know -- you can't believe everything you read, reasonable minds can differ, blah, blah, blah, which leads me to error on the side of commission (i.e., getting oil changed early) rather than omission.

These cars are so expensive. If there is even a 10% chance that an early oil change will help prolong engine life and increase my car's longevity, I'm going for it.
The following users liked this post:
jesper2 (10-05-2019)
Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

^^^ Very well put Suicide Jockey.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:43 AM
jesper2
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

for the record...the question isn’t “should I spring the extra $200 for an early oil change?”; it’s “will doing so cause more harm than good?”

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
No expert here either - internet or otherwise.

Got my oil changed at 1,000 miles. Had always heard it was good to do to remove metal shavings and such resulting from break-in. Then read about a study done of oil samples taken from engines during the first few thousand miles showing "elevated wear-in metal levels coming from the pistons and camshafts. . ." Then heard that Honda puts special oil in its cars new from the factory which contains "molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive," which seemed to add legitimacy to the notion that during break-in there is added wear and tear going on.

I know, I know -- you can't believe everything you read, reasonable minds can differ, blah, blah, blah, which leads me to error on the side of commission (i.e., getting oil changed early) rather than omission.

These cars are so expensive. If there is even a 10% chance that an early oil change will help prolong engine life and increase my car's longevity, I'm going for it.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

im a DIY guy and changed the oil at 1K miles just so for my own peace of mind. Besides I was curious how much metal shavings was there from a new car by opening up the oil filter. The result, yes there were debris on the filter and that is what the filter is there for. I didn't do it to my 997 because I bought it used, but yes for other new cars I owned.

Quick Reply: changing oil early at 2000 miles