Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 5 month Wait is over!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:02 PM
FrugalB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 5 month Wait is over!!!

This is probably the most I have ever anticipated something in my life. From putting my deposit down on a waiting list in November, to ordering it in January, to Picking the car up yesterday. This is my first Porsche, and first time ordering a car. My car was the first Boxster I have ever sat in, and driven!

My initial impressions of the car is, pretty sweet. It fits just right, feels comfortable, and sounds like pure sex! My 2 ways are comfortable for me and glad I saved the money and didn't get 18's or LWB. This is a pleasure vehicle, and not a track toy. Maybe my resale (if I ever sell it) will be hindered by no LWB, but oh well!

It is very hard staying under 4k rpms. Its actually torture, and I have only driven 20 miles in it so far! I want to hear this car sing, and it seems like just when its about to break open I have to shift. Patience grasshopper, patience...

I am super glad I went Platinum Satin on the wheels over black or silver. Never been a black wheel guy, unless its on a truck (but if I would have went with black instead of white, I might have done black wheels).

Played with the top twice, and doesn't seem too bad. I missed the latch on my first time closing it, and could not get the hook to open back up until I put the top back down closed everything locked the car and came back and tried again, and the hook opened up as I was pulling to top up.

Still undecided on Paint Protection or not. I am thinking of rolling the dice and not, but will make a decision here in the next week or so.

Now all that is left is stacking some miles on it so I can get on this thing!!

FYI I was on Dionysus. Truck took 3 days to get to my dealer in PDX.

Glad the wait is over, kinda surreal. Now what am I going to do with my down time at work?? Look up potential mods????

Old 05-12-2016, 04:14 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I have to chime in that your experience with ordering your First Porsche was similar to mine: first Porsche, Long Wait (last April is when I ordered), and no experience with modern Porsche autos at all. The only other Porsche I've sat in was a 1953 which was more akin to an antique car and a 944 way back when. I agree about the 2 ways being fine especially if you are tall like me because they give you an extra inch of room. Congrats on your car it looks good with the Platinum wheels on white.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!! The car looks beautiful and I agree on the platinum wheels. Very very hard staying under 4k but man this thing is a blast.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Great Spyder! congrats on joining the club

Personally I wouldn't squander the first 2000k miles in the car at low RPMs. 2000k miles seems like one hell of a warm up lap for a modern production car. Not to mention everything I've heard and the break in procedure for the ROW seems to indicate that of primary importance is get the engine oil temp up to its optimal operating range and then drive the car enthusiastically.

Imho this is the best way I can think of to ensure a dynamic rev range has been kept during breakin. While opinions regarding breakin differ, I think all agree that varying RPMs and not lugging the engine is good.

Now with that said, I would take it easy for the first 500 miles or so but I think this 4200 rpm recommendation is ludicrous, not to mention it could lead to someone inadvertently lugging the engine or not varying RPMs sufficiently.

Ymmv. That's my thoughts on it, enjoy your new ride.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:26 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats! The wheels look great with that color. Where are the interior shots?

I'm sure it will be tough breaking this in properly.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:51 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Congratulations, FrugalB! Looks great. Agree, the satin finish on the wheels look great; shows off the styling better than black. Still gives a good contrast to white. The inside top latch and the clips on the fins get better with usage. Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats - white really pops on the 981 Spyder. With the platinum wheels and your taillights it really looks terrific. Enjoy it. You are correct - very hard to keep the revs down....
Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Beautiful! Well done, enjoy it
Old 05-14-2016, 01:21 AM
achatgrau
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! The car looks beautiful! Enjoy every moment of it.

I debated PPF for a long time (actually the thing I debated myself the most on). I am very **** and meticulous — but in the end, any chips are just patina. My old 987 had some chips in the front, but could only be seen if you really looked for it. I know that's not the choice for everyone… but I'm happy I went without.

Btw. my newly arrived Cayman GTS was also on Dionysos Leader; so hello to a fellow shipmate.

Quick Reply: The 5 month Wait is over!!!