Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Cayman GTS and GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am contemplating adding a cayman to the stable and looking for a comparison. Ive read the threads and watched some videos. But still looking for an opinion.

So coming from the 911 world most say they would not DD the gt3 although you could. Does the same hold true for the gt4, is the gts a better DD.

This car will NOT be my DD but i do plan on taking it on long roadtrips so i want it to be comfortable as quiet (road noise) as possible.

I am still undecided on manual vs pdk. Obviously pdk has to be gts. For those of you that have gone gts to gt4 do you think it is worth the premium if the primary purpose is roadtrips and some fun mountain roads. Maybe a track day or 2 but not why im buying it.

I dont really care about all out speed since i have the turbo but fun handling (not all out handling) is what im looking for hence why im looking at caymans. Does the PASM in the gts feel about the same as in the gt4 or is the gt4 stiffer in soft setting because of gt3 front end?
Old 04-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

A GTS will be a better road car in every way. Quieter inside and out, more compliant ride, better visibility, etc. For those used to a real sports car, the GT4 is fine as a DD. Would not be as fun on a long trip for most.

I think the PASM in the GT4 in normal mode is similar to the X73 suspension in the GTS. In sport mode it is more harsh.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:11 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

I drove a PDK GTS for a year before I got my GT4.

I miss the GTS in regards to daily livability. The 18 way seats, and the PASM suspension really made it the ultimate car to drive everyday.

The GT4 is a bit more hardcore in every aspect. I think ray was right about the PASM settings, where in the GT4 the PASM feels much more brutal than the GTS (felt like a placebo button to me).

The GTS has a more artificial sounding exhaust with lots of snarls and burbles in sport plus, whereas the GT4 is just simply LOUD.

You wont be disappointed with either car, but Ill just go ahead and say that if youre buying a GT4 to daily, don't be surprised if you wind up looking for a daily driver in about 2-3 months. I wound up buying an M5 as a DD, as I couldn't take to DD the GT4 anymore for various reasons. I probably sound like the OLDEST 26 year old on the planet
Old 04-30-2016, 03:18 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Yea it wont be a daily but i will use it for "daily" type duties, like occasionally going to work and roadtrips.

Great comparo on the pasm and x73 thanks. I had a c6 z06 i imagine the x73 would feel a lot like that, anybody? Or can you compare gt4, gts pasm, gts x73 to a 997tt. Ive also driven a base suspension cayman s and 997 gt3.

Great responses so far keepem comin
Old 04-30-2016, 03:26 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

I think the GT4 is closest compared to the GT3. When I had my Cayman GTS, I was constantly thinking to myself "how much more hardcore can the GT4 be" while I waited months for my car to arrive.

I was very shocked at what a massive step up the GT4 was compared to the GTS which was essentially the nicest Cayman money could get you at the time. No review or comparison had given me a clear indication.

I suggest you drive as many as you can, and just factor in that the GT4 will feel about 25-30% stiffer than a Cayman GTS, as well as the power will be more prevalent wherever you encounter a dead spot in the Cayman S or GTS's power curve.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:39 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

"Does the same hold true for the gt4, is the gts a better DD"

Definitely. I have a GT4, had a base Cayman which I just sold, and now I'm looking around for a fun daily driver. (Which will probably end being a Golf GTI but that's a different story.)

Personally I think the GT4 is a terrible daily driver. Perhaps without LWBs I'd have a different opinion but probably not: the GT4 is also loud and has a mediocre sound system. After driving about 2 hours to the track, I definitely am happy to be done...

....but then I'm on the track and the GT4 is the best thing ever. Total fun - amount multipled by driving time - is definitely more for me in the GT4 but I go to the track often.

Personally I'd probably wait and get a 718 Cayman if I wanted a sporty daily driver that would also be fun at the track. I could care less about what it sounds like and I think the new Cayman will be great.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I recently picked up a GT4, coming from a 991.1 GT3, and have no issues driving it daily. A GTS would most likely offer a softer ride on the street and save a few dollars in the process. I tried a GTS and it is a very nice car.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:55 PM
prrod
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going into my 9th porsche and daily drive a Cayman GTS.
It is a very nice daily driver. Not hard core , but sporty, at the same time comfortable,
with all the creature comforts.
I would love to have a GT4 but got late to the party and settled for a Boxster spyder,
mostly for weekend duty.
Depending where you do your daily routine, the GT4 might be too rough.
````````````````````````````
Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 80 Posts

I owned a GTS for 10 months before trading it in for a GT4.

The GTS was a fantastic street car and I loved every minute I was in it. More comfortable and easy to live with because of the Sport Plus seats, PDK, and Bose sound system. I recently took it on a 2,200 mile road trip from Southern California to Chicago and it never missed a beat.

You can see that thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ayman-gts.html

It ate up the miles on the Interstate and was a joy to drive in the mountains. I was never really wanting for performance. I had the X73 sport suspension, and PTV diff as well. You'd have to be a maniac to push harder than the limits of the GTS on public roads.

The GT4 feels like a totally different animal. Much more raw because of the LWBS and 6 spd manual. More torque and sharper turn in with the Cup 2 tires and GT3 suspension. Brakes are also noticeably better. It's a proper GT product that sets itself apart from the rest of the Cayman line.

Overall, the GTS made for a better all rounder package for the street, whereas the GT4 feels really special to drive. It really depends on your priorities. I'd say the GTS is better for 90% of the people out there, but for the 10% hardcore performance enthusiast, all the extra perks of the GT4 cannot be beat. I daily drove my GTS(weather permitting), but can't say the same for the GT4. Not saying it's not possible, just that I wouldn't do it. It crosses over the line for me, whereas the GTS was balanced right on that edge.

In the end, there is no bad choice here. Both machines are incredible and some of the best sports cars available in the world at the moment. Good luck with your decision. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 AM
rickdm
Racer

I went from a Cayman S to a GT4, which in many respects is very similar in ride and comfort to a GTS. The clutch is about 20% heavier, but not bad. The ride is a bit stiffer, but not harsh, just a little bouncier. I have the 18 ways, same as the S, and I love the seats. The biggest difference for me is the tire noise is a lot louder and the radio is not as good. However I drive this everyday in Dallas traffic and have no complaints. The ride is better than my old Mini Cooper S with the factory run-flats. Even my wife enjoys riding in it.

If you are just using it for weekends and special occasions, then you want something that feels special. The GT4 feels special.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

I'd put it this way...

If I had a choice between a GTS and a GT4, I wouldn't let daily driving be the reason I didn't get the GT4.

Is the GT4 a bad daily driver? Yes. But then, so is every sports car - it's just a matter of degrees. My daily driver is a pickup, so I can blast though speed bumps/humps/dips without bother.

But then you are not getting this car for true daily driving. If you are using it for an occasional road trip -- why not? It's perfectly fine for that. The LWBs are very comfortable and you can still have a little fun here and there on the trip. The GT4 is loud, but it's not like the GTS is quiet.

If you can get the GT4, get it.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 PM
mitch48
Advanced

I chose the GTS, partly for cost, but also b/c I'm 68 yr. old and have mostly given up track driving. Were I 20 years younger it would have been no and I believe I've made the right decision. I chose to keep PASM and not got with the X73 for the same reasons. I moved up from a 987 CS and the GTS is much more refined in every way, but stilla genuine sports car in every way. It is more compliant than the 987 and I'm pleased with it and (mostly) glad the exhaust is no louder than it is, I love the burbles and pops, even if they are somewhat artificial. You won't go wrong either way, but unless you just have to have the baddest ride available I'd recommend the GTS.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Dave C4S Cab
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi911
I am contemplating adding a cayman to the stable and looking for a comparison. Ive read the threads and watched some videos. But still looking for an opinion.

So coming from the 911 world most say they would not DD the gt3 although you could. Does the same hold true for the gt4, is the gts a better DD.

This car will NOT be my DD but i do plan on taking it on long roadtrips so i want it to be comfortable as quiet (road noise) as possible.

I am still undecided on manual vs pdk. Obviously pdk has to be gts. For those of you that have gone gts to gt4 do you think it is worth the premium if the primary purpose is roadtrips and some fun mountain roads. Maybe a track day or 2 but not why im buying it.

I dont really care about all out speed since i have the turbo but fun handling (not all out handling) is what im looking for hence why im looking at caymans. Does the PASM in the gts feel about the same as in the gt4 or is the gt4 stiffer in soft setting because of gt3 front end?
Can 16 GT4s help you to decide

Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch48
I chose the GTS, partly for cost, but also b/c I'm 68 yr. old and have mostly given up track driving.
Mitch, I just turned 69 and the GT4 is convincing me to start tracking more.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:53 PM
edwin814
Racer

I had a GTS before getting a GT4. I think for your application, GTS is a better choice.

There's no doubt that GT4 is a better car mechanically. Comfort is subjective. I drove 500 miles non stop in GT4 with LWB and it was fine for me. But no doubt GT4 is stiffer and noisier than GTS. I had Sport Suspension on the GTS. GT4 in normal PASM mode is still stiffer. GTS is still a very capable car for light track duty.

Quick Reply: Cayman GTS and GT4