Sponsored by:

Buy 981 Cayman S now or wait for 718

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Gigglinpig
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy 981 Cayman S now or wait for 718

New member here. I have been looking into buying my first Porsche. It would probably be a CPO 2014-2015. Looking at CPO Cayman S, most start in the low 60k range with 20k+ miles. That's hardly any depreciation for a 3 year old car, making it hard to justify over a new Cayman S. My question is if now is a good time to buy a CPO car, or wait till 718 Cayman is officially unveiled on April 25th? Do you guys think CPO Cayman S will fall a bit with the new release?
Thanks! and sorry if this has been asked before.

I also am #2 at the local BMW dealership for the M2. I think I am leaning more heavily towards the Cayman S. Looks more like a sports car, and not like generic BMWs.

Last edited by Gigglinpig; 03-30-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Update for M2 allocation.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure the M2 will be a blast, but nothing performs like a Porsche. I've had hundreds (OK, several) BMWs and Porsches both, and they're both great cars, but the Porsche is more involving and more fun to drive.

OK, that said, low 60s for a used Cayman sounds outrageous to me. Especially since they seem to really crater in resale value when they get a few years on them. I do suspect that prices will drop more when the new car comes out, but you may have to wait another year to see that happen.

Not many Caymans are sold AFAIK, so you probably don't have much to choose from in the used arena. That makes it tougher.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:20 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

There are tons of '15 981 BS/CS leftovers laying around. There is actually a '14 at my local dealer, I know that car can be had in the $50's. Plenty of others in the $60's. No reason to buy a car with 20k miles when you can buy a new one for the same money...
Old 03-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Gigglinpig
Track Day

Originally Posted by smohr33
There are tons of '15 981 BS/CS leftovers laying around. There is actually a '14 at my local dealer, I know that car can be had in the $50's. Plenty of others in the $60's. No reason to buy a car with 20k miles when you can buy a new one for the same money...
Can you send me some more information on this? Please!! I can't find anything on the Porsche CPO website under $59k. I can always get a PPI and have it shipped.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

You should be able to get a 4 cylinder Cayman long into the future. It'll be faster and "better", I suppose. If you want a NA 6, the supply is limited.
Personal choice.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:00 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

being a long time bimmer fan boy and now more of a pcar fanboy i would say the following

1. the best of the modern bmw's (hybrids excepted) are conventional daily-use cars with practical form factor (4 useable seats, easy ingress egress, real trunk), a sporty/slick feel, powerful motor.

2. porsche sports cars (leave aside sedans and suvs) are less compromising, real sports cars... much more visceral excitement, higher limits, higher sexiness factor, and VERY IMPORTANTLY, less mass (than bimmers)...but you can usually only take one passenger, more limited cargo -- the 991 series is blurring the lines a bit given its size and softness, but cayman/781/boxster series still preserves real sporting feel i believe... plus mid engine factor is HUGE for feeling like a real sports car imo

u decide
Old 03-30-2016, 01:03 PM
smohr33
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigglinpig
Can you send me some more information on this? Please!! I can't find anything on the Porsche CPO website under $59k. I can always get a PPI and have it shipped.
Looks like your PM isn't active, will try email.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Gigglinpig
Track Day

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
being a long time bimmer fan boy and now more of a pcar fanboy i would say the following

1. the best of the modern bmw's (hybrids excepted) are conventional daily-use cars with practical form factor (4 useable seats, easy ingress egress, real trunk), a sporty/slick feel, powerful motor.

2. porsche sports cars (leave aside sedans and suvs) are less compromising, real sports cars... much more visceral excitement, higher limits, higher sexiness factor, and VERY IMPORTANTLY, less mass (than bimmers)...but you can usually only take one passenger, more limited cargo -- the 991 series is blurring the lines a bit given its size and softness, but cayman/781/boxster series still preserves real sporting feel i believe... plus mid engine factor is HUGE for feeling like a real sports car imo

u decide
Thank you. A few months ago I started out with this mad craze to get the M2, and put a deposit down. Started researching the Cayman, and decided that it's a purer, nicer, sexier car than anything BMW. Also, I have a Subaru forester as a winter/ski/whatever else car, so backseats don't really matter to me.

Now I am trying to find a good deal on a CPO/new 981 Cayman S manual in white, yellow, silver or guards red.

Last edited by Gigglinpig; 03-30-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: CPO
Old 03-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Gigglinpig
Track Day

Originally Posted by smohr33
Looks like your PM isn't active, will try email.
Thanks, I just joined today, and have a free account. Doesn't look like it allows PMs.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

$17 bucks will get you access to the Member For Sale section. You should buy a Rennlist membership.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Gigglinpig
Track Day

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
$17 bucks will get you access to the Member For Sale section. You should buy a Rennlist membership.
Just signed up. You guys have been super helpful and awesome.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:20 PM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently drove a bolster s and it was awesome. Still if I were you I d wait and test drive the upcoming 718 Cayman and Cayman s before deciding.

The new turbo four might be something you will want and until you test drive one first you lol never know. Your so close to the release you might as well wait. Worst case scenario you will come across a flat six s for less when the more powerful and easier to tune turbo version hits the showrooms.

Prices always drop...its just a fact of life on preowned cars...

If you want the new 718 after test driving it...it'll be easier if you didn't just buy a Cayman s a few months before.

I suggest waiting till you can test drive both ..

Jmo
Old 03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
Gigglinpig
Track Day

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
I recently drove a bolster s and it was awesome. Still if I were you I d wait and test drive the upcoming 718 Cayman and Cayman s before deciding.

The new turbo four might be something you will want and until you test drive one first you lol never know. Your so close to the release you might as well wait. Worst case scenario you will come across a flat six s for less when the more powerful and easier to tune turbo version hits the showrooms.

Prices always drop...its just a fact of life on preowned cars...

If you want the new 718 after test driving it...it'll be easier if you didn't just buy a Cayman s a few months before.

I suggest waiting till you can test drive both ..

Jmo
Thank you. I might wait for the 718 to be announced on April 25 and then see if 981s prices drop a bit. Also, there is a lot of hate towards the 718, which is a slight factor in my decision to get a 981s. I also will be test driving the M2 launch car on April 16th, but probably get a refund on my deposit after that.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:46 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I sold my gem 2014 Cayman S with 4.6k miles for $60k. If you are a hunter and work at it, I bet you can find a GTS around $70k. Otherwise, sure you can buy a CS for $60k, and probably much lower miles than you expected.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

I'd vote for the 981S. Personally, I wouldn't sign up for a first-year Porsche engine, like the one in the 718.

Quick Reply: Buy 981 Cayman S now or wait for 718