Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Buying advice: 1st vs. 2nd gen spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 02:31 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Buying advice: 1st vs. 2nd gen spyder

So I'm torn with this decision. Currently drive a 991.1 S with 7MT in my sig mostly for daily driving and love it. It's sporty yet refined and offers a good balance for everyday IMO. Now I'm looking for some weekend, open-road, top-down fun and have primarily narrowed it down to a Spyder. My dilemma is 1st gen or current gen model?

The 1st gen IMO is more raw (which is a positive) and there are even several reviewers that seemed to like it more than the current model. Downsides are that it's a used car so finding the right one with stick and buckets that has been treated well is a little harder but doable to find. Benefit is it's about 1/2 price compared to the new model.

The current gen is a beautiful car and I love the looks and styling. Negative is that it's more expensive but also that it bears a lot more similarity to my 911 (engine, interior, brakes, etc).

So for those that have owned or driven both models, what are your real-world impressions and which do you prefer? Again, this would be primarily for weekend, sunny-weather driving and the car would see little to no track or DE time.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:26 AM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm exactly in the same boat as you. I have a Targa GTS as a daily driver and decided to get a new Spyder as the "fun" weekend car. Like you, I will probably rarely, if ever track the car. I have not taken delivery of the Spyder yet, but did research the topic thoroughly. I think you cannot go wrong with either one, but in my opinion the 981 Spyder is better suited for our purpose. Also the 3.8 engine is one of their better ones from Porsche, not to mention we get the 991S breaks. If you can wait wait for two weeks, I will have taken delivery by then and can post a comprehensive review. Hope that helps.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:34 AM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Go drive them both, preferably back to back and find out for yourself.

Current spyder is a great car no doubt. For me personally i can't get myself past the stupid roof construction with the jarretels added for show puposes only. I really like the clean roofline of the gen 1 which blends perfectly with the rest of the car making it a stunning design altogether. Gen2 looks less integrated because of the curved roofline and side windows.

The 987 surprises me each time i look at it, top open or closed. It really looks so much better then a regular boxster, because of the different roofline, sidewindows and bulbs. The 981 has to do with the curved boxster windows and therefor misses out a bit compared to a regular boxster with the top open.

But that is just my humble opinion.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:56 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

as a 987.2 spyder owner, I think this car is the best looking and best value when compared to the 981 spyder. However, the 981 spyder has the 3.8 now and is a game changer for some. But if you already have a 991, both the 991 and 981 use the same interior so they are too similar in that respect.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Lot of opinions forthcoming on this subject for sure.

I can't compare your exact situation but I can get close having a gen-1 (987.2) Spyder and a Macan S with a somewhat similar interior to your 991.

While I like the Macan interior for it's comfort as a daily driver it's also at times too complex. In contrast, there is something so old school and simple about folding up the top and dropping into the Spyder for a good romp on the evenings and weekend. The interior is minimalist Vs. the 981, having a simple bank of gauges and buttons. The top doffing and donning is a ritual that is easy to get onto, and yes the jarretels (AKA spyder flaps) are functional as they spring the top taunt Vs. the those of the 981. This is a design throw back to the early spider cabriolet carriages that the top literally drapped down, with 6 or so securing flaps, giving the appearance of a spider.

And the engine note in the gen-1 with the PSE? Sublime. Maybe not as awesome as the gen-2 with it's 3.8 but it is still very very good. Enough power? Perfect. Not too little yet not too much that you don't have to work the gears. I believe they found the sweet spot.

The handling? Crazy good with the precursor to the X73 suspension package. I've also lowered mine with some H&R springs and added spacers (7 fore, 15 aft) and it drives so very very planted it's hard to describe.

And as noted the raked windows and the 'power domes' of the gen-1 form a beautiful visual design line as the rake back together.

I haven't driven a gen-2 yet and plan to. There are TON of positive reviews with only minor complaints on the roof, gearing etc... I expect it to live up to it's reputation. I've watched some driving videos and it looks amazing.

My conclusion? One car as a daily driver? Pick up a new 981 gen-2 Spyder. You can't go wrong. Need a weekend canyon-carving romper? Go with the MT 987.2 gen-1. And you'll have the last of the analog steering and something purported to retain it's value for years to come to boot.

Last edited by Zeus993; 03-26-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:35 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

987.2 spyder could easily be used as a daily driver. Its a very raw connected car for those used to the 981/991 and a very refined one for those who've grown up with the air-cooled 911s. The roof of the 981 spyder is an absolute turn off for me. All great cars just see whats fits for you.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My Opinion FWIW:

Engine:
The one thing that is brought up over and over are the engines and how many prefer the 981 over the 987. It's important to note that the engines are designed exactly the same, both direct injection and same technology. The only difference is the output, 3.4 vs 3.8L. After spending time on East Coast, Midwest and West Coast roads I would argue that the weight of the 987 and the engines power band provide more than enough power for carving corners and backroad use. If the primary focus were straight line or highway use then I would agree that the 987 Spyder could without question use more power as the chassis can definitely handle it. In this area the 981 definitely shines but that's not why I bought the car and to be honest driving the Spyder on highway isn't very good. It's way too loud and you feel every crack in the road which over time gets annoying. I have a nice DD for highway use that eats up the miles very comfortably. My opinion but a valid point.

Handling:
Unfortunately I haven't driven the 981 and can't offer any comparison so I'll focus on the 987 Spyder. The car literally feels like an extension of your body. Driver inputs match up exactly with what your brain would expect. Over the years I have spent tons of money on suspension and tire upgrades to obtain the "perfect handling car". No matter how much I spent there was always something the car lacked and in my mind I never hit that peak handling that I was searching for. I think a big part of what I was missing was that feedback and communication between the chassis and the driver. The ability to know what each tire is doing and what is under the tire (road surface) creates an incredible level of confidence to know when you're pushing to hard and when you have more grip available and go faster. Combining that feel with perfect weight distribution, direct steering, perfect transition and very low center of gravity makes the 987.2 Spyder the perfect handling car.

Interior:
This is a bit subject since everyone has their preference. As far as actual appearance the new Spyder interior is far more upscale and finished. It looks modern as compared to the 987 interior which is sparse. I think one of the reasons the 981 is heavier is the interior but I have to admit I love the look. It's a trade off I guess, if you want less weight and focused interior then the 987 is the obvious choice, if you want a more modern finished interior the 981 is hands down better.

Exterior:
I saw my first 981 Spyder last weekend and it looks incredible, very modern and aggressive. It also looks racy and masculine as compared to the 987 which looks classic and feminine, something that could be confused with a car designed 40 years ago and yet it's still modern looking too. Personally I think the 987 Spyder lines flow better, everything seems to look just right and very organic. The doors have a similar shape as the doors on the older air cooled 911 with the round top and flat sides and everything flows smoothly into the rear. I know this is subjective and ownership plays a role in opinion but personally I wasn't drawn in by the new Spyder's appearance. My car was parked side by side next to the new Spyder at a driving event here and no one noticed the new Spyder. Perhaps it was the white color vs shiny basalt but the lines just don't stand out as much.

Reliability:
Clear winner will be the 981 since it has a warranty and for the next 4 years you only need to pay for maintenance. The 987 will also have some bigger maintenance bills coming up including plugs, tires, gearbox, coolant and possibly water pump depending on mileage. The cost to do this work is $3500 so when you add this to the cost of the purchase price you're still way ahead with the 987 but the hassle factor definitely exists. Overall the 987.2 has proven very reliable, no major issues have been reported even on high mileage engines.

One thing I'll add is tires, if the tires are more than a few years old I would strongly recommend changing them. I changed my original tires (5 years) yesterday and it completely transformed the cars handling. It felt as new or better (I switched from Bridgestone to Michelin) and I couldn't be happier. If you're test driving a 987 Spyder and it still has original tires I would take that into consideration as it can make the chassis feel older when in reality its just the tires.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:29 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

You guys awesome with your viewpoints and perspectives. Love this forum for the real-world opinions of normal people and not professional writers. My conclusions are I can't go wrong with either car but it's clear the 987 has a small and vocal fan-base.

RS911: would love to hear your thoughts on your new ride when it comes.

Zeus: I tend to agree with you that the .2 might be a good value for years to come along with its classic looks

Marine Blue: Super comprehensive review of your car. Thank you. Noted particularly about the handling and the need to replace tires. Also good to know the car has been reliable for many years.

I've since found a great example of both cars and will proceed with testing side by side with my current ride. Will update with my impressions and final choice!
Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Can't go wrong with either car it seems, though anyone who complains about the new car's roof is just looking for something to complain about. It's ridiculously easy to put up and down.

Buy the one that you're going to most want to grab the keys to and go drive.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:07 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

All great and valid comments. 987 is clearly a classic. But, mostly because it's the original. Any sequel, however good it might be, will always be, well, not the original! Haven't driven the 987; but, read every single review and comment (from owners and others) I can find. I actually did buy a CPO from a LA dealer. Signed the paperwork, and in the process of making travel arrangements to go pick it up. Incredibly, at that very time, a friend gave me the Panorama issue that compared the Spyder and a base 981 Boxster with X73 and PTV. Boy, it was an incredible timing and a revelation!

Essentially, the 981 nudged the Spyder in every measure, tangible and intangible. The steering, according the authors, was the only area 987 shined better. But, once they started driving it, they didn't think much about the steering. After reading it, I canceled the order and got on the 981 Spyder list, even though it wasn't even a speculation at that time. I knew it was coming!

I have read many comments from 987 Spyder owners who sold their cars after driving the 981. There have been a few of those on PistonHead forum. However, I do think about picking up a 987, if I could afford. But, if I think about it objectively, the steering feel would probably be the only area it could better the 981. It would be outclassed in all other areas. As for the complex interior of the 981, I actually don't think so. The "only" button I press as soon as I start, is the Sport (don't use Sport Plus since it does rev match). I had it programmed so that the PSE comes on automatically with either Sport or Sport Plus. There is nothing else to mess with.

Since you are going to drive both, here is my prediction: you will choose 981! Let us know if I called it right! :-)
Old 03-27-2016, 12:49 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I previously had a 987.2 and currently have a 981 Spyder.

As far as looks, to each his own.

The 981 frame is much stiffer than the 987.2 frame. The 981 Spyder has bigger sway bars. The 981 Spyder has 991S brakes, the 987.2 Spyder brake feel is a weak point.

The 981 Spyder is a detuned 991S engine, you can get the HP up with minimal work. Mid range torque improvement is very noticeable. It's a 3.8...

The 981 Spyder roof, easier to get up/down, and less noise.

The interior fit/finish is better in the 981 Spyder.

Used 987.2 Spyder the way you want it, figure around $60K+. Unfortunately you cannot order a new 981 Spyder now (well maybe you might find one still changeable) but in any case you are looking at around $96K or so. So the delta is around $36k (plus taxes/license fees/insurance which can all add up).

For me, the 981 Spyder is a much better car for my primary use, which is Colorado canyons. I also think it looks a lot better, but again that is subjective.

Newer is not always better, when it comes to 911's, there is no way I would swap my 1996 C4S for a newer 911.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

I have owned almost every iteration of Boxster, (not including certain special editions) from the first pre S version to the latest Spyder. I thought the leap from the 987 to the 981 was the most transformative turning the Boxster into something very close to a modern supercar. Call it supercar light, mainly due to its relatively modest levels of HP and torque. The 987 in comparison still had many vestiges of that more raw old school roadster feel though still "modern" enough to be a perfectly good daily driver.

When the first gen Spyder came out I really wanted one. Event though it still retained the 3.4 engine, albeit modestly uprated, everything about it was perfect, it was and is the pinnacle of the 987 era Boxsters. It was also far and away the prettiest Boxster at the time, maybe one of the prettiest Porsches. And it still looks good today. The deal breaker for me was the roof. My Porsche's have never been Sunday drivers. I drive them whenever I can and I don't live in the desert. That roof on the 987 Spyder is a cumbersome abomination afaic. Something I would barely tolerate on some half backed British convertible from the 70s. On a German sports car made in the 21st century, it's lack of functionality for me to put it mildly is bewildering. As much as I wanted the car the roof was a deal breaker. If I had a garage full of wonderful cars at the time, it might've been a different story.

I think the most critical question for anyone choosing between these to cars is the intended use and what type of driving experience you are looking for. On a warm clear day, I can't imagine either car being anything but a delightful dance partner bombadeering through the canyons or carving up some back country roads. i doubt the difference in engine sizes would be a defining factor. Rather, The 987 and 981 Spyders each represents the zenith of the 987 and 981 Boxster platforms. (with the R and the GT4 being more or less their hard top equivalents) And each platform has its own set of charms; the only way to really know which will most keenly speak to you is to experience both.

Last edited by Underblu; 03-27-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:48 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the only way to get to your answer is for you to drive both consult your bank account and go from there.

I think each of us ( I, a 987 Spyder owner) and the new owners ( 981) will find ways to justify why we have what we have in the garage. I really like many thingss about the 981, the interior is way better for starters, obviously the power and some of the styling cues. I have driven one for 75 miles from OC to Pacific Palisades and had a chance to drive it in wide open mode, bumper to bumper and on the way up to my friends house...it is very nice. I just wouldn't spend my money on one....to me the 987 is better looking overall. I think its the lack of that ugly front bumper...it looks like a body kit, extended out the nose to far. The 987 is refrained, the bumps more harmonious and the fact they did make the top retract faster it is not as cool as the 987.

Someone mentioned the brakes as a weak point, odd as most reviews of the car commented about how exceptional they were in 2011. Besides for 50k price difference that is easily solved.

The 981 does have those beautiful scalloped sides though which is why the 981 is such a beautiful design.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:03 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I posted this in another thread but I have driven both versions back to back on multiple occasions now.

Objectively, the 981 is better than the 987. It's bigger, louder and faster. The driving experience is dominated by that engine or at least in comparison the 987. The car feels like a hotrod, and I mean that in a good way. The exhaust in ridiculously loud. I wasn't initially that excited about the auto rev matching but with such tall gearing, it might help with dropping into first during autocross. Interior space and quality is a huge step above the 987.

Having said all this, the 987 not lose any ground to 981 from a subjective standpoint. Its smaller size and less frantic power delivery lets you push the car harder in more situations. The interior feels rather spartan compared to the 981 (doesnt even have cup holders) but it adds to the feeling of an uncompromising sports car.

Bottom line, both cars are great. I would recommend that you test drive both.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 987.2 Spyder (buckets/stick) within a few weeks of taking delivery of my GT4;. Easy decision (Though the GT4 is a bit more hardcore than the 981 Spyder, still comparable). In my opinion, the only things the 987 spyder has over the 981 is price, exterior looks, and driving feel, but that is not to say the current gen does not still feel amazing. If you're comparing one vs the other the decision is easy IMO; the only thing that makes your predicament tough is that you already own the 3.8L.

Quick Reply: Buying advice: 1st vs. 2nd gen spyder