Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Buying advice: 1st vs. 2nd gen spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks for the write-ups, fellas. As a previous 987 Spyder owner, and currently sitting out of the 981/991 generation of Porsches, I have been curious about the new Spyder. It seems to address my criticisms and the reasons I sold the 987 - brakes, power, soulless engine sound, and to a lesser extent chassis stiffness. I still remember driving it over railroad tracks a few blocks from the showroom and being shocked at how flexy it was.

I just can't get on board with the 981 Spyder's roof, though. I get why it is what it is, but the 987's - though creaky when up - was so unique and well engineered - perfection both functionally and aesthetically with just the sunshade in place.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write ups gentlemen...
Really good to hear two owners who have been able to share cars tell it as they see it.
I have never driven a 987 Spyder, I really love the idea of owning one and having it sat in my garage alongside my 981 Spyder.

But if I can only have one I'm sure now the 981 is the perfect car for me.

I'm currently driving mine around Europe on a 9 day tour and it has been absolutely amazing !
From cruising on motorways, mountain passes, track laps and autobahn high speed runs, it's just handled everything I've asked of it.
I don't know what other car would give me more on this sort of trip.

We are all very fortunate to own these cars.

Keep smiling Spydermen
Old 05-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster7
I'm currently driving mine around Europe on a 9 day tour and it has been absolutely amazing !
From cruising on motorways, mountain passes, track laps and autobahn high speed runs, it's just handled everything I've asked of it.
I don't know what other car would give me more on this sort of trip.
Great to hear the 981 is handling everything you can throw at it. Sounds like a helluva tour with a little bit of everything thrown in. Insanely jealous! Saw your pics in the other thread - looks like a blast.

Continue to enjoy your trip and safe travels.

Quick Reply: Buying advice: 1st vs. 2nd gen spyder