Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Buying advice: 1st vs. 2nd gen spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:12 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sliollio
I sold my 987.2 Spyder (buckets/stick) within a few weeks of taking delivery of my GT4;. Easy decision (Though the GT4 is a bit more hardcore than the 981 Spyder, still comparable). In my opinion, the only things the 987 spyder has over the 981 is price, exterior looks, and driving feel, but that is not to say the current gen does not still feel amazing. If you're comparing one vs the other the decision is easy IMO; the only thing that makes your predicament tough is that you already own the 3.8L.
Is that all?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:51 PM
sliollio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Is that all?
Without going into too much detail yes buuuuut...

(Note: below are MY opinions and totally subjective)

Interior: 981 (better stereo, better pcm, better quaity, less wind noise/vibration at speed, more storage cap, more options to spec)

Exterior: 987 (more classic look, more pronounced humps on the back, however top is takes about 30sec-1min longer to operate)

Sound: 981 (3.8Land it's actually so much more than that, the exhaust note is sublime)

Modifications: 981 (engine has been intentionally choked by Porsche to make less hp, meaning roughly $10k in and you can be making about 450hp at the crank... 987 is basically maxed out, might pickup about 10-15 more hp from bolt-ons)

Steering-feel: 987 (a bit more "hardcore", however the shift feel on the GT4 is perfect! feels extremely short and mechanical, better than the 987)

Suspension: 981 (although the GT4 has a different suspension than the new spyder so can't really give my opinion)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:25 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Low mileage attractively equipped 987 Spyders are already largely depreciated and have held steady in value for some time now even as the new 981 Spyder has hit the market.

Expect more depreciation on the 981's than on the 987's.

My low mileage 2011 Spyder with buckets and manual transmission is still worth about what I paid for it. A good case can be made that excellent samples of 987's will slowly go up in value over the next few years. I won't be selling mine.

I agree with an early post that points out the 987 is the original and subsequent Spyders will be always "copies" even though they are technically improved.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:48 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

For me, at 6'3", it was the extra inch of leg room in the 981 that sealed the deal. I wouldn't buy a 987 for that reason alone; otherwise, the 987 is great car and good deal imo but so is the 981 so I'm happy.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I recently had an opportunity to spend some time behind the wheel of a stunning 981 Spyder over the weekend. For reference myself and a fellow Rennlister went for a drive up into Palomar Mountain with our cars. The drive was a bit treacherous as it was a light rain, HEAVY fog, the occasional rock in the road and slippery conditions.

So my opinion now is that the cars are miles apart in how they feel but they accomplish the same mission of providing the driver with ultimate handling and precision. Here are some of the things that stood out.

As soon as I sat in the cockpit I was greeted with the same hug from the LWB's surrounding me and holding me in place. I also noticed that I sit much lower or perhaps the cars doors come up higher than the 987. Either way it was a cool feeling, the cabin enveloping you with its comfort and beauty.

The second thing I noticed is the fit and finish, the attention to detail is far superior to the 987 and much mor luxurious. The interior is also more digital/electronic from the buttons on the center console to the dash gauges.

Once I got rolling the next immediate observation was the engine noise, yes it is sublime when you are accelerating. I did a few intentional down shifts just to hear the engine and I wished the engine was already broken in so I could hear it scream. Porsche definitely spent time tuning the exhaust and there's no doubt they are listening to their enthusiast customers. I'm not too sure on the burble that seems to happen as soon as you get off the gas, it is a bit forced for my tastes but it's not present when the sport mode is off so it can be turned off. Unfortunately only aftermarket solutions will improve the 987 sound, it's not nearly as nice even with pse.

The other observation I made once up to speed was the heat! As noted earlier, it was raining and cold (55 Degrees) out and both of us had our tops off and personally I wasn't dressed warm enough. I was cold in my Spyder and was doing everything I could to improve the heat in the cabin. I also had the windows rolled up in my car the entire time. The new Spyder has an incredible heater, I was warm immediately and was comfortable for the entire 20 minutes I drove the car and that was with the windows down. It felt like the difference between the old air cooled A/C vs the modern day A/C.

The brakes on the new Spyder are bloody fantastic. It's how every Porsche brake should feel and it still pisses me off that Porsche got it wrong on the 987's. The new brakes have a very good initial bite but not so much that you can't modulate them. In comparison the 987 brakes have very poor initial bite and need some effort to get them to bite hard.

The handling is confidence inspiring as the car reacts as you would expect and the steering is crazy fast. It's much faster than any other car I have ever driven and you can throw it through corners very easily. The chassis stiffness keeps the car totally composed and the suspension works beautifully to keep the car flat. I felt immediately comfortable driving the car and right at home. The steering doesn't offer the same feedback that you get in the 987 and it is immediately obvious even when your not pushing it. But it's not necessary either, the car provides enough information but in a more elegant "refined" way.

The shifter is amazing, short, smooth and very direct. I have to admit I loved the shift but I also really like the shifter in the 987. As I have finally gotten used to the 987 shifter and broken it in properly I find it very enjoyable to row through the gears. The 987 feels old school yet very reliable. The 981 feels very modern and perfect.

Since the new Spyder wasnt' completely broken in I can't really comment on the power but I am certain that it has incredible acceleration. The fact that it has more displacement while still managing some weight loss is amazing. I can't even imagine how fast it will be.

Overall I am totally impressed and yes I want one. But I won't sell my 987.2 to get one, I want to have them both. I really love the 987.2 Spyder and when I climbed back into the cockpit I didn't feel like it was a downgrade. They do serve somewhat different purposes. The 987.2 Spyder is raw and you compromise certain comfort to achieve a very strong connection with the chassis which inspires you to push the car harder. It is incredibly rewarding and fun to drive and it does nothing wrong. But it can be tiring to drive on the highway as you feel every expansion joint and the road noise is far more present. The chassis isn't nearly as stiff as the 981, Porsche did wonders on the 981 chassis. Things like A/C and heat don't work as well. The new Spyder would be the ultimate long distance fun run car. A car you could take up the coast of California with your wife and thoroughly enjoy without feeling exhausted when you arrive at your destination.

Yes....I definitely want one of each.

In summary, Porsche has engineered several aspects of the new Spyder to make it just as magical as the original. You really can't go wrong with either one.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marine Blue; 05-17-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Good write up. I agree with your opinion of the 981. Would love to try the 987.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Afshin has shared some great comments as a 987 Spyder owner getting to drive the 981 Spyder for the first time. As a 981 Spyder owner, let me chime in with some thoughts on my experience driving a 987 Spyder for the first time. First let me say that getting to drive a 987 Spyder was a huge deal for me because I have lusted after this car since it came to market and have forever regretted not pulling the trigger on one at my local dealer when I had the chance five or so years ago. After reading so many glowing reports I wanted to get behind the wheel so badly, but never got the chance. It was thus truly a treat to get to drive Afshin's beautiful 987 after all this time. As he said, our weather was less than ideal and when we swapped cars it was on a portion of our drive that was a bit more straight and less curvy, but the differences between the two cars were immediately felt and blatantly obvious.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
As soon as I sat in the cockpit I was greeted with the same hug from the LWB's surrounding me and holding me in place. I also noticed that I sit much lower or perhaps the cars doors come up higher than the 987.
Couldn't agree more. You sit seemingly much deeper down into the 981 than you do the 987. It's much easier, say, to rest your elbow on the top of the door sill of the 987 than the 981. Also, the LWBs in the 981 are noticeably firmer than those in the 987. The 987 seats felt damn near plush to me in comparison.

The second thing I noticed is the fit and finish, the attention to detail is far superior to the 987 and much mor luxurious. The interior is also more digital/electronic from the buttons on the center console to the dash gauges.
No doubt the 981's interior is more lush, but the simplicity of the 987's interior is, as so many have noted, one of its endearing features. There's not one thing I would change about the 987's interior.

Once I got rolling the next immediate observation was the engine noise, yes it is sublime when you are accelerating. I did a few intentional down shifts just to hear the engine and I wished the engine was already broken in so I could hear it scream. Porsche definitely spent time tuning the exhaust and there's no doubt they are listening to their enthusiast customers. I'm not too sure on the burble that seems to happen as soon as you get off the gas, it is a bit forced for my tastes but it's not present when the sport mode is off so it can be turned off. Unfortunately only aftermarket solutions will improve the 987 sound, it's not nearly as nice even with pse.
During the first leg of our drive I was in my 981 following Afshin in his 987 and I thought his car with PSE sounded fantastic from my vantage point. Afshin relies little on the brakes using engine braking instead to maximum effect, so on downshifts the exhaust note could be heard loud and clear. But during the second leg of the drive when we switched cars and I was now in the 987 following Afshin in the 981, the noises coming out of the 981 were just on another level. Being able to compare exhaust notes back to back like this was very illuminating. Notwithstanding, I think Afshin is being a little too harsh about the 987's sound! He didn't get the opportunity to drive behind me when I was in his car and if he had I think he would have been pleasantly surprised.

The other observation I made once up to speed was the heat! . . . The new Spyder has an incredible heater . . .
True, but not a big deal for me. Nothing a warmer jacket or extra layer couldn't cure!

The brakes on the new Spyder are bloody fantastic. It's how every Porsche brake should feel and it still pisses me off that Porsche got it wrong on the 987's. The new brakes have a very good initial bite but not so much that you can't modulate them. In comparison the 987 brakes have very poor initial bite and need some effort to get them to bite hard.
Yes, the brakes immediately stood out to me as one of the most dramatic differences between the two cars (that and the suspension described below). Confidence inspiring is the best way to put it. Feel, bite, and pedal travel could not be better on the 981. In comparison, the 987's brakes felt soft. I believe the brakes on the 987 are the identical brakes that came on the 987 Boxster S. Not bad by any stretch, but no where close to the 981 brakes.

The handling is confidence inspiring as the car reacts as you would expect and the steering is crazy fast. It's much faster than any other car I have ever driven and you can throw it through corners very easily.
During my stint behind the wheel of the 987 I wish there had been more hairpins, switchbacks and the like to make the steering differences more apparent. No doubt the 981 has faster steering, but I wouldn't say from my limited experience that there was anything wrong with the feel of the 987's steering.

The chassis stiffness keeps the car totally composed and the suspension works beautifully to keep the car flat.
This was the second area where the differences between the two cars was the most acute: suspension. The 981 is stiffer by a large margin and just feels more hunkered down in comparison to the 987 which felt more spongy and lush. This softness in the suspension combined with the added padding/comfort afforded by the 987's seats made the difference between how these cars ride quite stark.

The shifter is amazing, short, smooth and very direct. I have to admit I loved the shift but I also really like the shifter in the 987. As I have finally gotten used to the 987 shifter and broken it in properly I find it very enjoyable to row through the gears. The 987 feels old school yet very reliable. The 981 feels very modern and perfect.
As many have said, it's hard to find fault with the linkage in the 981. Damn near perfect is the only way to describe it. In contrast, the 987's shifter felt a bit rubbery and vague. Afhsin's car did not have the short shift kit so naturally it had longer throws.

Since the new Spyder wasnt' completely broken in I can't really comment on the power but I am certain that it has incredible acceleration. The fact that it has more displacement while still managing some weight loss is amazing. I can't even imagine how fast it will be.
Here's where we might differ a bit. Granted, my 981 is still in break-in and thus the top of the rev range is still unchartered territory, but under 5,000 rpm I didn't detect a huge difference in the power and acceleration between the two cars. I really thought it would be quite noticeable given the added displacement/hp, but it wasn't. The 987 felt just as lively, just as gutsy. For street driving, canyon roads, etc., I don't think you need any more power than what the 987 affords. Maybe on a track the differences would be more noticeable, but on the mountain roads we were on I just didn't feel that big a power difference between the two cars. It will be interesting to do this comparison again after my car is broken in and life above 5,000 can be explored. Perhaps only then can the power differences become readily discernible.

Overall I am totally impressed and yes I want one. But I won't sell my 987.2 to get one, I want to have them both. I really love the 987.2 Spyder and when I climbed back into the cockpit I didn't feel like it was a downgrade. They do serve somewhat different purposes. The 987.2 Spyder is raw and you compromise certain comfort to achieve a very strong connection with the chassis which inspires you to push the car harder. It is incredibly rewarding and fun to drive and it does nothing wrong. But it can be tiring to drive on the highway as you feel every expansion joint and the road noise is far more present. The chassis isn't nearly as stiff as the 981, Porsche did wonders on the 981 chassis. Things like A/C and heat don't work as well. The new Spyder would be the ultimate long distance fun run car. A car you could take up the coast of California with your wife and thoroughly enjoy without feeling exhausted when you arrive at your destination.
To be honest, my expectations of the 987 were so high going into this. Behind the wheel I thought I would be blown away, and I really wanted to be. Such a fan I am of the car that I was, prior to this experience, contemplating putting on RL a want-to-trade ad swaping my 981 for a 987 (plus some $$ ) But after driving these two cars back to back, the 981 simply surpasses the 987 in so many ways while, most importantly, not conceding much at all to the 987 when it comes to "purity" and an unfiltered driving experience. We've all heard and read how the 987 is a more uncompromised, focused, hardcore, pure, unfiltered car, and to some extent I agree it is -- but only in some areas and even then not by much! Yes, the cabin materials of the 981 are definitely a cut above by comparison, but in some ways it can easily be argued that the 981 is the more hardcore focused car. The seats, the brakes, the suspension are all more firm. Don't be fooled by the cabin -- the 981 is no boulevard cruiser. It has serious chops and to exploit its limits you're gonna need some serious commitment. As a close derivative of the GT4 it is much more track focused than the 987. I reject any attempt by the automotive press to paint the 981 as "softer" or less "hardcore" than the 987, interior appointments aside. To say the driving experience in the 981 is any less thrilling, viseral, or rewarding than that in the 987 is counter to my experience, particularly with the wail of the 3.8 and the killer exhaust notes under acceleration, on downshifts, on overruns - hell, just about all the time! The 987 is more minimalist, no doubt, but to say the 981 is less serious or less focused, I certainly would not.

I think I now have the 987 out of my system so-to-speak. The anticipation of driving it was greater than the realization and I think this is the case only because the 981 is just so damn good -- that's what it boils down to. On my drive home I thought about the fact that roughly $20K separates the MSRP of these two cars and really how much more that $20K buys you in the 981. It makes the 981 seem like a relative bargain IMO.

I REALLY don't want this to come off as a 981 owner naturally asseting his bias over, or worse - hating on, the 987. Some may view it as such, but I can't impress enough how big a fan of the 987 Spyder I have been (and will continue to be). The fact is five years of development has, as anyone would naturally expect, relegated the 987 behind the 981 in so many important categories. This should come as no surprise whatsoever (yet I must say I really wasn't expecting the contrasts to be so evident) and it really adds little to the conversation to say the 981 is the "better" car (whatever that means). Of course it is more advanced -- as it bloody well should be! If the 981 didn't excel in every performance area over the 987 there would be something seriously wrong with Porsche. Porsche would have blown it in a big way, but they didn't and that becomes readily obvious when you drive both of these cars back to back.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very well stated Nick and it's hard to argue your points, especially so eloquently written. The 981 is a positive progression of the 987 Spyder and Porsche paid attention to their customers when they designed it. It's hard not to love them both for different reasons.

We need to plan another one of those runs when the weather improves.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow, Excellent pair of write ups, and from differing perspectives. Thank You for your POV's and the excellent language used in the posts. This is very helpful! Cheers to you both
Old 05-18-2016, 03:59 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Awesome comparison and review comments, Afshin, Nick. Both your comments clarified a number of things for me.

I have always been a 987 Spyder fan; and, will continue to be so. Yes, the game has moved on; progress is always (well, most of the times) a good thing. The 981 had to be so good because the 987 Spyder had set the bar pretty high! Anything else would be a failure, as pointed out. I am glad you guys did this.

I wonder what would we be writing 3-4 years from now comparing 987, 981.1 and 981.2 Spyders!!! Looking forward to it!
Old 05-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
Awesome comparison and review comments, Afshin, Nick. Both your comments clarified a number of things for me.

I have always been a 987 Spyder fan; and, will continue to be so. Yes, the game has moved on; progress is always (well, most of the times) a good thing. The 981 had to be so good because the 987 Spyder had set the bar pretty high! Anything else would be a failure, as pointed out. I am glad you guys did this.a

I wonder what would we be writing 3-4 years from now comparing 987, 981.1 and 981.2 Spyders!!! Looking forward to it!
That's a really good question Henry. I know at the moment most of us are looking at the future of Porsche and wondering if they will make the move to a 4 cylinder turbo on the next Spyder or if they will retain a 3.8L NA engine. The bigger question will be if the forthcoming changes to the next Spyder will make it just as special as the models that came before it. Porsche usually improves their cars performance with each new model however we now have emissions regulations coming into play which can potentially make the future model less desirable.

Porsche isn't falable, I look at the progression of the 911 Speedster and my opinion of the 997 falls short of being better than previous models. From a performance aspect it may be better but the overall package to me wasn't better.

I'll add to my other post by saying that what I find very endearing about the 987 Spyder is its simplicity. When I get in and go for a drive I am completely focused on driving the car. I am not futzing with the stereo, adjusting the suspension etc and I am completely in tune with the car. The only button I push when I get in the car is the pse and that's about it. I rarely need to look at the rpm gauge to tell me when to shift, I gather this information naturally from the sounds emitted by the engine and the amount of power its developing. I know when I need to dial in more steering and I know when I'm near the limits as I can feel the tires starting to lose grip in small increments. It's sublime.

I know it's come up numerous times in this thread but I also love the relative simplicity of the top. While it appears complicated it really is very simple and very functional. Yes it requires more effort to install/remove but I'm not driving mine daily and I find its simplicity to be desirable. Clearly not for everyone but being an engineer I find it brilliant.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great perspectives on two phenomenal sports cars. Very enlightening. Thanks to both of you!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:52 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

............. future of Porsche and wondering if they will make the move to a 4 cylinder turbo on the next Spyder or if they will retain a 3.8L NA engine. The bigger question will be if the forthcoming changes to the next Spyder will make it just as special as the models that came before it. .....................
All good points, Afshin. Enthusiast-centric sports cars' days are numbered. One could debate, endlessly, what qualities constitute 'enthusiast-centric'. For many models, those days are behind us. Very few hold outs would succumb in near term. I happen to believe we would have at least one more iteration of Spyder that would appeal to us. Time will tell!

Sometimes I feel that I shouldn't have canceled the 987 Spyder I signed paperwork for; or, didn't sell the NA Miata. We just need to realize what we have and hang onto!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider

Sometimes I feel that I shouldn't have canceled the 987 Spyder I signed paperwork for; or, didn't sell the NA Miata. We just need to realize what we have and hang onto!
Will become more important as the world becomes electric, hybrid, turbo and automatic
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Will become more important as the world becomes electric, hybrid, turbo and automatic
Right on! We will be termed as archaic! And, I would be pleased with that characterization!

Quick Reply: Buying advice: 1st vs. 2nd gen spyder