Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unboxing a Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:24 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Unboxing a Spyder

In tech circles, people sometimes document the un-boxing of the latest and greatest device. Since my new Spyder wasn't really dealer prepped and had a lot of packaging to remove, I thought it might be interesting to document my "delivery".

I bought this Spyder off Rennlist: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/921630-2016-porsche-boxster-spyder-rhodium-silver-metallic-lwb.html
from Laurence. He had created a very cool somewhat minimal build and it took me no time to decide to buy it.

Ten days later, I met the transport. Step 1 was getting the Spyder out of the truck. The enclosed transport had come from Florida to California in about 5 days. There's a Vanquish up top, and some classic Mustangs below.

First a McLaren SLR had to come out. I think it was a 2009 - low mileage - under 1k. The door on this thing is crazy.

I took the recommendation of Mooty and had clear bra installed by Mike and Chris from SoCal. This was happening in Mooty's warehouse, which is kinda like a 911 museum. There's a lot of special cars in there. An albert blue long nose (circa '73 I think) kinda stands out! Big thanks to Mooty and his crew there.

Anyways, here's the prep for the Suntek clear bra install. Got the "Racekit" - bumper, fenders, rockers, full hood, vents, etc. Learned how easy it will be to change the side markers to a clear color. Now just have to find some.

I was really lucky to get this install scheduled right after I got the car. Car had 14 miles at this point. Install started about 10am, done by 4pm. Incredible job, I think by the installers, really custom, and really no way someone who doesn't know where to look and feel can see seams.

Got first chance to drive, and of course it starts to rain on the way home. Great thing about the clear bra, it made clean up really easy. Amazing really.

The Spyder gets home, and now there's a lot of interior tape, stickers and covers to remove. One reason I jumped at buying this car was the LWBs. Here's a sticker on the slipcover of the seats. It may be boring to some to see these stickers, but I thought it was pretty interesting how many of the part numbers started with different models - I found stickers with part numbers starting with 997, 981, 918, etc - no 356 as far as I recall . The LWBs have a lot of 918. I saved the seat slipcovers.

The Spyder is taking over a spot in the garage from a 2008 Boxster. Just gotta find some place to put it. Love having an Orange car, though.

Initial impression I had of the Spyder - it's very low, lower than I thought. The LWBs feel great, comfortable. On initial test drive, the car sounds & drives incredible. Love the sound. Steering super precise. Wife thinks car is cool, but when she gets in, she drops into the seat: "Why didn't you warn me!?"

I really like how Laurence spec'd the build. To me, the satin black wheels really work well with the interior. If I'd have gotten an allocation, I would have gone with Spyder Classic red interior and Rhodium Silver, but after 1 day, I really like this black / silver motif.

I'm not sure what the 160942 number really means, but it's all over the place.

Part number for the floor mats.

The temporary floor mat is pretty cool - custom cut - it's got "Made in Germany" & "Porsche" on it, and it's not just cardboard - it has a felt backing. But it's fairly dirty by now.

Window Sticker. Pretty frugal save for the painted key and leather fob. Those are priced crazily. Still, love it overall. Feel like it's a huge bargain, actually.

A build / shipping sticker:

There's a few sheets of return address sized labels with the VIN on them. Also has build date on one of the sheets. Color code also - seems to be S2. Very few of them were peeled off, and they were on various pieces of tape - e.g. covering the door sill panel. I'm gonna use them now as my return address labels on any US Mail I have to send out.

Black sticker panel on bottom I think was the source for most of the door sill stickers / tire / safety info. Not sure what the 136 5470 B number signifies.

This sticker came off the seatbelt receptecle. 918 part again. Some people already commented that the whole car looks like a baby 918.

And the 981 has banished the 987 to the outdoors...

Overall, not a bad day.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

look good congrats, glad all worked out.
i was out driving and riding my bicycle and got caught in rain. spend the rest of the day mopping up floor and clean the cars that got wet ;-(
Old 03-21-2016, 03:50 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are LWBs?
Old 03-21-2016, 04:17 AM
Yellowbyrd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lounge for Wife's Butt
Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default jealous

I'm a little jealous. I planned for a year to do exactly what you did. That's why the car was left in the wrapper. But I'm glad you documented it. I'll try to do the same for delivery of sister car in Zuffenhausen next month. All the best. L
Old 03-21-2016, 10:48 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, nice no frills build. Congrats!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:31 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Congrats! Looks super nice besides your Cayenne GTS. Poor little 987. Where is he going?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Christmas in March! Grats!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 PM
laranja
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Congrats! Looks super nice besides your Cayenne GTS. Poor little 987. Where is he going?
Thanks! Right now, the Orange 987 is under a louvered cover next to the garage, but I will probably find some storage until I decide what to do, or until I build my dream garage
Old 03-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Very nice. This is one of the few Porsche cars that I think looks better in Rhodium Silver than GT Silver.

Interesting you say it feels lower. Compared to my X73 Cayman S, the Spyder feels like I'm sitting slightly higher, even with the seat in the lowest position. But I have the sofas, not the LWBs.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad to see that I am not the only nut-case who must have all the stickers/papers that my Porsche shipped with (which the dealer normally just trashes when the new car is being prepped). Last year when my new Cayman was being prepped, the dealership was a 5-hour drive away so I couldn't be there. But I did ask them to save all the documentation that came with the car. And they did! What an interesting trove of original documentation for the car's archives, all of which I have preserved in clear sheet protectors.

About 6 months later, I had a new BMW that I was picking up at BMW's Performance Center in Greer, SC. I thought that BMW would honor a similar request from me to preserve all the shipping paraphernalia, but they just blew me off in a curt e-mail. I got zilch, nichts. Shame on BMW...
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
What are LWBs?
Lightweight bucket seats v 18 ways. People go gaga for the LWBs, but I like the 18 ways just fine.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:35 PM
laranja
Pro

Originally Posted by Keadog
Lightweight bucket seats v 18 ways. People go gaga for the LWBs, but I like the 18 ways just fine.
The thing I like about the LWBs is that they are different.

All the other cars I drive have sofas of one type or another. Driving an Audi after sitting in the Porsche LWBs makes the Audi seats feel like a Bentley. So I definitely like having the LWBs as a change of pace.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:39 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Ok, ok... lets not turn this into another LWB vs 18way discussion.

BTW, pretty damn cool way to get your car delivered to you! Congrats!!!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:33 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Thanks, Keadog.

Quick Reply: Unboxing a Spyder