Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman 987.2 Wheel well liner-- Half vents are dummy - Cooling impact?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:32 AM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayman 987.2 Wheel well liner-- Half vents are dummy - Cooling impact?

Hi All,

Noticed this when I was replacing my suspension

Last edited by rackhenry; 03-28-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:52 PM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe those vents are open on automatics and PDK cars. They have different part numbers than the manual transmission cars. It is probably for the air flowing through the third radiator inlet but I am just guessing. I thought I saw that written up once before but couldn't find it.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:16 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmazz
I believe those vents are open on automatics and PDK cars. They have different part numbers than the manual transmission cars. It is probably for the air flowing through the third radiator inlet but I am just guessing. I thought I saw that written up once before but couldn't find it.
My car is a six speed. Since there are different part numbers, I would assume I want to buy one with all vents open prior to installing a third rad. Not sure how less airflow is helping here. Not only that, brake cooling is probably impacted....

Last edited by rackhenry; 03-28-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:27 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Rather than buy a new PDK liner, you can remove the liner and cut the closed part off yourself.

Regarding the center radiator, most of it's exhaust is out the lower bumper cover,
which makes sense since the flat airflow under the car is a low pressure area.

Some cut rectangular holes in the cover, I prefer to backcut the trailing edge, less chance for debris to be thrown up into area and better flow.
Strongly recommend the center rad for socal 100+ temps at Willow/Buttonwillow/Chuckwalla/Autoclub/Spring Mountain etc.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A432
Rather than buy a new PDK liner, you can remove the liner and cut the closed part off yourself.

Regarding the center radiator, most of it's exhaust is out the lower bumper cover,

Some cut rectangular holes in the cover, I prefer to backcut the trailing edge, less chance for debris to be thrown up into area and better flow.
Strongly recommend the center rad for socal 100+ temps at Willow/Buttonwillow/Chuckwalla/Autoclub/Spring Mountain etc.
The third rad is on the to do list, as you noted I run all the local SoCal tracks. I will probably just cut out the vent holes as you did, much cheaper...
Old 03-18-2016, 02:44 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

That's not mine, the R already has open vents, just got the pics to help you
Old 03-18-2016, 02:45 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

That's not mine, the R already has open vents, just got the pics to help you

Pics helped a lot! thanks!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

987 cars with automatic transmissions already come with the fender liner vent slats fully open, as did most 987 Spyder and Cayman R even with manual transmissions. Base and 'S' manual transmission cars come with half the fender liner vent slats closed and those slats can be opened up by trimming the original liner. One could theoretically go even further and just cut a giant hole in the fender liner and cover it up with mesh, but most people don't go that far unless a dedicated track car.

Manual transmission liner from factory:

And after trimming the closed slats:

And here's a custom mesh job:

If these cars have one problem, it's inadequate cooling. Also, some Cayman R owners found their cars to come with the 3rd center radiator, but without the proper center vent to allow airflow... those owners had to order the center vents before seeing their coolant temps under control (3 radiators alone without proper venting on all 3 has proved inadequate). All of this comes about because having the center radiator AND adequate flow is a necessity for tracking in even moderately hot climate on 987.1, 987.2 and even the 981.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zach L
Also, some Cayman R owners found their cars to come with the 3rd center radiator, but without the proper center vent to allow airflow... those owners had to order the center vents before seeing their coolant temps under control.

Something I could have explained further back in 2016, the Porsche center rad. retrofit recommends 4 rectangular holes being cut centrally in the bottom of the bumper cover.
Imho this isn't optimum because the longitudinal opening distance allows debris to effectively be trapped in the bumper cover and require removal and cleaning (they don't show that screens could be an answer)
A better option is to back cut the trailing edge of the cover laterally.
This allows the same exhaust area while preventing debris from being trapped in the cover since everything is being blown out the back cut area.
My R now, along with the motorsports 160 Tstat, almost runs too cold for street use. For dual purpose use, recommend the center rad with a stock Tstat. (160 combo will flag an error from the ECU due to low temp on street)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
987 cars with automatic transmissions already come with the fender liner vent slats fully open, as did most 987 Spyder and Cayman R even with manual transmissions. Base and 'S' manual transmission cars come with half the fender liner vent slats closed and those slats can be opened up by trimming the original liner. One could theoretically go even further and just cut a giant hole in the fender liner and cover it up with mesh, but most people don't go that far unless a dedicated track car.

Manual transmission liner from factory:

And after trimming the closed slats:

And here's a custom mesh job:

If these cars have one problem, it's inadequate cooling. Also, some Cayman R owners found their cars to come with the 3rd center radiator, but without the proper center vent to allow airflow... those owners had to order the center vents before seeing their coolant temps under control (3 radiators alone without proper venting on all 3 has proved inadequate). All of this comes about because having the center radiator AND adequate flow is a necessity for tracking in even moderately hot climate on 987.1, 987.2 and even the 981.
Interesting. Do you know if Spyder's had the same issue of not having the proper center vent?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
Interesting. Do you know if Spyder's had the same issue of not having the proper center vent?
Not sure... only reason I know is because it's been posted by Cayman R owners.

Quick Reply: Cayman 987.2 Wheel well liner-- Half vents are dummy - Cooling impact?