Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder Excellence Magazine Review

Old 01-02-2016, 02:02 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts
Default 981 Spyder Excellence Magazine Review

I was at the bookstore tonight and happen to read the February Edition of Excellence Magazine which had a review for the 981 Spyder. I would have thought a Porsche enthusiast magazine would be a little more educated about the 987 II Spyder. They specifically state that the 981 Spyder windshield is the same as the standard 981 Boxster, where the 987 II Spyder the windshield was changed to be lower than the standard 981 Boxster. This is absolutely false information. I know there was a few other uneducated publications that also stated this, but I would have expected more from Excellence.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by navanoD
I was at the bookstore tonight and happen to read the February Edition of Excellence Magazine which had a review for the 981 Spyder. I would have thought a Porsche enthusiast magazine would be a little more educated about the 987 II Spyder. They specifically state that the 981 Spyder windshield is the same as the standard 981 Boxster, where the 987 II Spyder the windshield was changed to be lower than the standard 981 Boxster. This is absolutely false information. I know there was a few other uneducated publications that also stated this, but I would have expected more from Excellence.
Odd that they would get that wrong. But I have read other articles also saying the windscreen varied when we know it didn't.

How was the article overall? I assume they have the same praise for the 981 Spyder as all the other magazines.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I assume they have the same praise for the 981 Spyder as all the other magazines.
Yes, the article is overwhelmingly positive. A few quotes:

"For Porsche, the manual-gearbox-only 2016 Boxster Spyder is a step back towards its roots, both conceptually and in engineering terms. Where the 918 Spyder is the most complex car that Porsche . . .has ever built, the Boxster Spyder is the back-to-basics machine that many Porsche enthusiasts have been requesting for a very long time."

"This latest variation of the Michael Mauer-designed Boxster is downright gorgeous, and you can imagine that the car is now closer to the original design concept sketches that invariably become water downed as a care is prepared for production."

"Operating the manual roof is surprisingly easy."

"With the windows rolled down, the Cayman GT4 sounds great, but with no roof at all, the Boxster Spyder takes the same throaty soundtrack to a whole new level!"

"The gearshift quality, in terms of weight and throw, is a pinnacle achievement. Originally crafted by Andreas Preuniger's GT development team in Weissach, the linkage is totally bronze bushed, and has lamost no variation in shift quality whether the gearbox is cold or hot."

"Since the 375-hp Boxster Spyder and 385-hp Cayman GT4 share the same engine . . . it is inevitable that performance comparisons will be made between the two. The 10-hp difference is roughly within production tolerances and is certainly offset by the extra 55 lbs the GT4 has to carry. Porsche claims 4.4 and 4.5 second zero-to-62 mph sprints, 12.5 and 12.7 seconds for the standing quarter mile and top speeds of 183 mph and 180 mph respectively for the GT4 and Spyder. Such small differences are splitting hairs in real world driving."

"If you consider straight line acceleration and top speed to be largely academic, the the fact that the Boxster Spyder manages a Nurburgring Nordschleife lap time of 7 minutes and 47.0 seconds, just 7.0 seconds behind the Cayman GT4 with its motor-sport derived front end and 265-lbs of aerodynamic downforce, is the figure that impresses most."

"Conclusion: The Boxster Spyder is the roadster that many enthusiasts . . . always hoped Porsche would make. It is the best and most engaging reasonably priced sports car I have driven in a long time, and underscores the fact that simplicity and low weight are constant virtues."
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Just saw the June issue of Excellence and they have a 5-page follow-up review of the Spyder. Very favorable.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Johny0299
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just read the new one online; poorly edited article! Not only are there several stray words from where sentences were re-written, but the author appears to be under the misapprehension that the Spyder has an adjustable suspension such that ride and handling are affected by switching into and from sport and sport plus modes.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I noticed that too. Editor should have caught that.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Was mistaken thinking the adjustable transmission mounts actually do something maybe?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Excellence Magazine Review