Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black wheels on a Lapis Blue 987 Boxster - yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:50 AM
Sidarooni
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black wheels on a Lapis Blue 987 Boxster - yay or nay?

I always loved the look of black wheels on a black Boxster. But since I own a blue one instead, I was wondering what do you guys think of the color combo? Would it work or no?

I tried to do a google image search but didn't find anything.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:29 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a pic of your car as it is now?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Don't laugh, but I see quite a few Prius's in a lapis blue color with shiny black wheels and it looks fantastic!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:22 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a set of black wheels on my 2001 Lapis Blue Ruf Turbo and I loved the look.

But it also looks great with silver if you have grey interior.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think black wheels are an acquired taste, and I haven't yet.
Having said that, I believe they look better on darker colored cars than lighter ones.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:12 AM
LJ502
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed - it's an acquired taste. Too often, it simply looks like a black hole where the wheels & tires belong, and I can't get used to it, nor do I appreciate the look.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Here are a couple pics of my lapis blue track Boxster showing the black wheels. Even when it was a street car I had the black wheels and like it a lot.
Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Black wheels on a dark blue car is one of my favorite looks.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Visually - dark wheels extend the look of a dark car (and light wheels extend the look of a light car). If the color of the wheel does not "interrupt" the line of the car - generally it will look longer and lower.

If you put a contrasting wheel on the car - visually it "chops" the car into sections: usually rear, center and front. This can make the car appear shorter and taller.

I love the look of both - but I noticed the change in the appearance of the car based on the photos. This first became obvious with the Lambo. We ended up selling the bright wheels when we were done tracking the car. The dark were easier to maintain and even though it didn't elongate the appearance of the car - I liked the look. It seemed slightly more aggressive with dark wheels, and the red calipers really popped.

I also had a red Z06 that came with bright silver wheels and I ditched them for black. I preferred the dark wheels with red, and again - easier to live with since the brake dust was brutal.

We've not changed wheel color on the P cars so I don't have a Porsche example to offer - but I love the dark wheels on the Cayman R.

Personally I love dark wheels on dark blue cars. Maybe you can get someone to photoshop a photo of your car.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-27-2022 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting photos of the Lambo and Corvette back to back with light and dark wheels.
Everyone has an opinion of what "looks best", and for what its worth I think the Lambo looks better with the lighter wheels and the corvette is perhaps a tossup as to which looks better.
Black wheels look appropriate (to me) on a track car and come across looking pretentious sometimes on a street car.
Again that's just me, although I know I'm not alone as I've had this discussion before.

However, it is your car and you should do what pleases you, and not do it for what pleases the next guy.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:25 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Re the Lambo - I liked both but I agree the bright wheels overall looked better. We sold them because they were in worse shape than the darker set, they were older and at the time it felt like they dated the look somewhat, the dark wheels were easier to clean and looked clean when dirty.

But strictly for aesthetics I think the lighter wheels with the pearl white finish look better.

The Z06 looked better with dark wheels to me. Never liked the shiny wheels which seemed out of character.

These are all very subjective and personal opinions and I agree whole heartedly to do what pleases YOU and not worry about other opinions.

Quick Reply: Black wheels on a Lapis Blue 987 Boxster - yay or nay?