Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder

We have been having an interesting discussion at the gt3 forum on the talk that Andreas Preuninger, head of the
gt program at Porsche Motorports, had with us at the PCA Hospitality tent at Rennsport on Sunday Sept 27th at
1:30 PM:

You can find it at the link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

And I am about to post there the following which I found of particular interest as a former 987 Boxster Spyder owner:

Question by Rennlister SmokinGTS:
"I was really hoping that the Boxster Spyder (981) would have the suspension & performance (of the gt4)...it was
a missed opportunity of setting that car (981 Boxster Spyder) up so that we would have the suspension & horsepower
(to track the car)...
"

Response by Andreas Preuninger:
"I understand your point. You might be right. There is a lot of synergy to be found if you do it to two cars which shares
components as many as possible. The thing is we started the gt4 program a little bit ahead of the Boxster Spyder and
we in Motorsports just didn't do open cars, you know...must of you know that these cars (points to the gt4) are developed
in Porsche Motorsports department and not in the standard (series) development department...we are one/tenth (of the
size in staff
) but the way of doing things is a little bit different sometimes, and the colleagues from the standard department
they had the capacity to do this Boxster Spyder and they had the idea...and I don't think a Spyder, a Boxster Spyder, is
a Motorsport product, to be frank, and that was what we were discussing when we started...

But now that we see that most of the Boxster Spyder customers are really, exactly, asking that question, that might have
been a mistake. And I think in future model, models, models...the Spyder & the gt4 will be a bit closer together regarding,
especially, the suspension...

And if our superiors make the decision that the Motorsports department is willing...is allowed to do an open version as well,
that is good, that would be good !(makes a motion with his hand of 'victory'). And I would like that!

Just wait a little while more, I know the Spyder, the Boxster Spyder, is not a track car...the gt car (turns to the gt4) is more
of that kind of a track car, but I think we are going to change that in the future, to be frank! (Applause from the audience)

We listen, most of us listen to our customers, that is why we will be stopping (to engage) in every conversations we can"

At this point the moderator, ex-PCA president Manny Alban, adds the following caution to the audience:
"But don't put that on Facebook...or Rennlist"

Andreas, smiling, interrupts him and says:
"It will be already there...in five minutes!
"

Well, it took a bit longer than five minutes, but the news is finally posted here on Rennlist where it belongs!
I wanted to carefully transcribe the recording as best I could to accurately represent what Andreas Preuninger
told us, in his own words & unfiltered, at this public gathering during Rennsport! And by reporting the story
using his exact language & the context in which it's used, it also allows you to better understand the present
thinking re: 'open cars' like the 981 Spyder at Porsche Motorsports...& how that might change in the future!

I believe this is a very important development if it comes to be!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-01-2015, 01:44 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

Wow... That is some good info. Thanks for posting, Eduardo. Question now is when and if 981.2 or 982?
Old 10-01-2015, 02:04 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I wonder what percentage of Spyder buyers would actually track enough to justify the compromises these changes would bring on the street? Extra weight, less supple suspension, lower ground clearance, excess grip, etc. Personally I'd split the difference between the current Spyder and the GT4, not go the whole way.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:36 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I wonder what percentage of Spyder buyers would actually track enough to justify the compromises these changes would bring on the street? Extra weight, less supple suspension, lower ground clearance, excess grip, etc. Personally I'd split the difference between the current Spyder and the GT4, not go the whole way.
IMHO, a GT4 Spyder is overkill.
I'm glad the Spyder is the way it is for the 981.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:30 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great post Eduardo thanks, good points Pete, not many of the 987 Spyder owners are on the track. Most of the guys I know who waiting for their GT4's will bring them, but I'm sure there are many who won't and just have a cool car for the road. There's lots of overkill in the Porsche line-up, how many Turbos, GT3's, RS's and 918's never make it to the track ?

Donn
Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if Porsche would announce they build a GT4 Spyder tomorrow, I wouldn't switch my current Spyder order for it. I have no intention to bring that car on a track and I don't see any benefit for street purpose in a Spyder GT.

Also, I suspect that his message of "if top management allow us to work on it, we would do it" doesn't mean much as they know that they won't get this request. GT cars (other than limited production exotic supercars) are meant to be a basis for a race car platform. GT4 Cup will race next season. Porsche will never develop an open top Spyder Cup. I am not saying it wouldn't make sense, but they won't.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:59 AM
iflywoe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But now that we see that most of the Boxster Spyder customers are really, exactly, asking that question, that might have
been a mistake.

hmm maybe a better pasm set up would do that.........
it would have been nice to have the option for pasm but x73 is very predictable.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get the GT front end/badge initially as the price point was so similar to the gt4. Retrospectively, I'm glad it didnt.
I don't track and an even lower ground clearance would be an issue. So, I would not switch. The current set up is ideal for my use.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Agreed, convertibles/roadsters are not meant for the track. The Spyder has the ideal setup for its intended use IMO
Old 10-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Detlev gets promoted to a new job in Germany...

To inform the forum in case some of you missed the news yesterday, our friend Detlev von Platen (formerly CEO of PCNA) has been
promoted to head Global Sales & Marketing at PAG and will be based at headquarters in Germany. And Oliver Blume, formerly head
of Production & Logistics at Porsche, has been elevated to CEO of PAG, replacing Matthias Müller who was promoted to CEO of the
VW Group after Martin Winterkorn's resignation last week.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...laten-named-vw

Detlev was one happy camper at Rennsport this weekend. He was a dynamic CEO at PCNA and will be missed! But he is headed
for much bigger things at PAG. And it would not be surprising to me if he becomes CEO of PAG in a few years' time!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Agreed, it goes against what the car is really about. The Spyder perhaps should be a motorsports division product but with a focus on driving enjoyment and reducing weight and not getting around the track faster.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 PM
iflywoe
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with most of your comments, but if they make a gt4 spyder people will buy them!
A hard top will always be better at the track, but I will take my boxster once or twice a year!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:00 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

I also agree the Spyder should not focus on the track. My focus is not top speed. I want agility, acceleration and spirit. I think a GT4 Spyder should be designed and built for the neglected racing segment of autocross/Solo II by giving the car the proper gearing and suspension it deserves. YMMV
Old 10-01-2015, 11:36 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Listen, I'm no expert like some of the people who post here, but I do watch the market and keep an eye on things I'm interested in like Porsches and stuff. If I had to guess with the information and rumors I've seen so far, then I would say, yes, there is going to be a GT4/5 Spyder, with pdk, and they will probably be restoring the lost 10 or even 25 horses. The one thing I still feel is up in the air is turbo or NA - mainly because MPG does matter on paper for some people. Personally, I would regret not getting this GT4/5 version of the spyder and if it were to come next year at a comparable price to the current spyder, then I would be kind of pissed that I didn't wait. Again I hate (but love) how there is always something better around the corner with Porsche. I guess this is how they get all this repeat business that I see with Renn members.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 10-02-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I sort of see the skepticism for a hardcore Spyder from general public; but, not from Rennlisters. Don't people DD GT3RS? If Porsche did a market study for 987 Spyder, it wouldn't have seen the light of the day. Innovative products and services create new segments. Porsche are masters of this game; and, we all benefit from it. And, Spyder is the best platform for GT division to show off their open-top project (don't remember if Carrera GT was GT Division product; probably was since it came out of an aborted motorsports project).

I for one can't wait for the GT Spyder. It may not be for everyone; that's ok. There is a model for every taste. If launched, it is likely to be the 981.2 Spyder. They may even use GT5 moniker to further differentiate from 'Spyder' name (that is, this would be the Spyder). An open-top GT ride would be my dream car! I really hope they do it! The allocations WILL sell out.

Last edited by spyderphile; 10-02-2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Added content.

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger talks at Rennsport re: possible GT Boxster Spyder