Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981S: Experience with the IPD plenum

Old 04-19-2015, 05:04 AM
Slalom996T
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 981S: Experience with the IPD plenum

Hi

I'm looking for any experience regarding the IPD plenum for the 981S/PDK/325bhp application:

http://ipdplenums.com/products/plenu...cayman-s-gts-d

TIA!

/Slalom 996T
Old 04-19-2015, 10:08 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Works great. Will cause CEL, but doesn't hurt performance. Need reflash to fix it. This mod and headers are a great way to open the car up.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 PM
rjpeaks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jwade - i believe the 82mm throttlebody needs to be used?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

That's what I have with the plenum. It's a 997 gt3 TB that comes with the IPD kit.

The IPD kit places pressures outside stock parameters, hence the CEL. Need reflash to cure it.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

Originally Posted by jwade
That's what I have with the plenum. It's a 997 gt3 TB that comes with the IPD kit.

The IPD kit places pressures outside stock parameters, hence the CEL. Need reflash to cure it.
jwade, thanks for your reply!

I've looked for this cure but it is yet to be found.
Source for this? Your source?
Might IPD have this since it is their product?
With/without the aforementioned (possibly the FVD) header?

Is it only one parameter that need to be reset regarding the cpl plenum kit?

Your impressions with the cpl kit + reflah? Dynoed?

/Slalom 996T
Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 PM
rjpeaks
Advanced

http://ipdplenums.com/products/plenu...ster-s-gts-dfi

i asked - IPD (they are in Huntington Beach) about it - they said in about 20% of the cases the TB is needed.

I am going in that direction along with the FVD exhaust.

Good luck OP
Old 04-24-2015, 09:05 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slalom996T

I've looked for this cure but it is yet to be found.
Source for this? Your source?
Might IPD have this since it is their product?
With/without the aforementioned (possibly the FVD) header?

Is it only one parameter that need to be reset regarding the cpl plenum kit?

Your impressions with the cpl kit + reflah? Dynoed?

/Slalom 996T
They do not. You need reflash due to CEL being triggered because it detects higher than stock pressures in the induction system. The 981 doesn't use a traditional MAF like the old 987's / 86's...

I've heard possibility of having the Box GTS software flashed into my DME... This could be complicated because now Porsche requires VIN confirmation before this can occur.

Ever since ownership in the fall of '12, I've had a few back and forth discussions with Softronic regarding these issues and also the problems associated with breaking the encryption of the Siemans DME.

Furthermore, I also think Porsche legal has a thing to do with this... and does not want anyone to provide these software mods. And if found mods are occurring, may / will be sued for sure.

It's odd to me that the 981 / 991 series has been out for some time now and only hardware changes are made available. The final "icing on the cake" would be to have a DME reflash available to take into consideration the hardware changes.

Personally, I think there is quite a bit more power available once a software mod is made... And especially with the combination of the IPD / TB and headers such as Cargraphic or FVD.

The hardware will add power and sound from the stock configuration. You will not be disappointed.

If you only add headers w/ sport cats and a muffler, you will be ok. It's the IPD that has the propensity to set off a CEL, but it will NOT effect performance. IPD makes some great products and you can tell a difference between stock.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 AM
Slalom996T
Advanced

Originally Posted by jwade
They do not. You need reflash due to CEL being triggered because it detects higher than stock pressures in the induction system. The 981 doesn't use a traditional MAF like the old 987's / 86's...

I've heard possibility of having the Box GTS software flashed into my DME... This could be complicated because now Porsche requires VIN confirmation before this can occur.

Ever since ownership in the fall of '12, I've had a few back and forth discussions with Softronic regarding these issues and also the problems associated with breaking the encryption of the Siemans DME.

Furthermore, I also think Porsche legal has a thing to do with this... and does not want anyone to provide these software mods. And if found mods are occurring, may / will be sued for sure.

It's odd to me that the 981 / 991 series has been out for some time now and only hardware changes are made available. The final "icing on the cake" would be to have a DME reflash available to take into consideration the hardware changes.

Personally, I think there is quite a bit more power available once a software mod is made... And especially with the combination of the IPD / TB and headers such as Cargraphic or FVD.

The hardware will add power and sound from the stock configuration. You will not be disappointed.

If you only add headers w/ sport cats and a muffler, you will be ok. It's the IPD that has the propensity to set off a CEL, but it will NOT effect performance. IPD makes some great products and you can tell a difference between stock.

I understand that you`ve covered the path thoroughly I'm abut to enter...

Read through the somewhat lengthy as well as frustratting discussion "ECU tune and Rev matching"...

1) Is installation of the GTS ECU settings possible, yet?

2) Is only the WOT straight throttle angle setting possible, yet?

/Slalom 996T
Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slalom996T

I understand that you`ve covered the path thoroughly I'm abut to enter...

Read through the somewhat lengthy as well as frustratting discussion "ECU tune and Rev matching"...

1) Is installation of the GTS ECU settings possible, yet?

2) Is only the WOT straight throttle angle setting possible, yet?

/Slalom 996T
I have read through the ecu tune discussion.

1) You need a very cool dealer to do this. Personally have not tried this route and cannot verify this will work... I've heard you now have to verify VIN in order to get the GTS software.

2) I'll bet it's been done, just no reflash made available to the public yet. Sure wish someone would release.... And not some 4000 deal where I have to pull the DME and send it overseas. Not liking that at all. Want simplicity.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:27 PM
rickdm
Racer

It is so frustrating to think that probably the only difference between an S and a GTS is a software flash, and you can't get it. I guess if your corporate policy is to differentiate models through the detuning of the same engine in less expensive models then you are gong to be very protective of that software.

rickdm
Old 05-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Slalom996T
Advanced

Originally Posted by rickdm
It is so frustrating to think that probably the only difference between an S and a GTS is a software flash, and you can't get it. I guess if your corporate policy is to differentiate models through the detuning of the same engine in less expensive models then you are gong to be very protective of that software.

rickdm
Thanks for your reply rickdm!

And it might be even more frustrating knowing the throttle angel is less than fully opened @ "WOT"?

/Slalom 996T

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981S: Experience with the IPD plenum