Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new-to-me Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default My new-to-me Cayman R

Just bought a 2012 Cayman R with 6000 miles from a buddy of mine. Has PDK, Sport Chrono, a/c, carbon fiber Sports Buckets, 5 point seat belts. Plan to use it 75/25 street/track. Looking forward to taking to a DE day; hopefully Watkins Glen in May.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats! You know the rules, pics or it didn't happen.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Wow. Beautiful. What color blue is that.

Note: In a day of 981 GT4's and new Spyder's taking the headlines, this car still stands out. A classic and likely not to be built again. Good job on picking it up.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Stunning! Love the color.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:07 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

The color is Aqua Blue Metallic.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:20 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Beautiful car! and I am not biased of course.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:14 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
Beautiful car! and I am not biased of course.
PM sent
Old 04-04-2015, 02:21 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

To the Cayman R guys out there,

Please share any info I should know regarding the car. Looking for maintenance tips, mods to consider, brake pad & tire ideas, etc. Anything quirky about the car, or is it what you see is what you get? I do plan to take it to my dealer to check that the PDK software is up to date.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:09 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Fantastic car, congratulations!
Old 04-05-2015, 08:33 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3 front arms if you want to use semis (I have a separate set of Michelin Cup 2 tires on OZ rims), maybe other brake pads (I get Brembo, they are street legal), proper brake fluid, that's it. Many people recommend GT3 brake cylinder but I'm not sure, will take it to track first and decide then.

How have you installed the harness? Harness bar or cage? I got a Heigo cage (club sport cage / half cage only).

You have a pretty similar spec as I have, but I like your colour better. Getting a CR specced to own wishes is difficult enough, so I was happy with any colour.

Enjoy the car.

Last edited by Sven76; 04-05-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big Congrat! Stunning and unique clor combo! Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2015, 01:32 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Wow. Beautiful. What color blue is that.

Note: In a day of 981 GT4's and new Spyder's taking the headlines, this car still stands out. A classic and likely not to be built again. Good job on picking it up.
+1! Good move, this makes so much sense for so many people right now. I suspect there will be more than a few very well specced 987 CRs and Spyders on the market soon. I also look forward to seeing these special cars continuing to hold good value in the long run.

Also a good move going with blue Beautiful!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:54 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the kind words! I've been watching the used Cayman market for a while in hopes of picking up a used CS that I wouldn't mind using for street and 10-12 track days per year. I didn't want to give up my 2011 6-speed 997.2 C2S because I enjoy rowing through the gears, and didn't want to give that up. I wanted PDK for the track so that I could concentrate more on driving the correct line than on executing the perfect heel-toe downshift. Frankly I'm just not that good at doing 3 things at once (rev-matched downshift, braking, driving the best line). I think I now have the best of both worlds, and feel very fortunate to own 2 great cars. Also lucky that my buddy just happened to be moving out of the CR. He was going to trade it in to the dealer but gave me the opportunity to buy the car at the same price the dealer was going to give him (somewhere close to or at wholesale).

I'm glad that Porsche is putting more emphasis on the Cayman line. There's just not that many used Caymans out there (especially PDK) that haven't already been scooped up by the track guys. With the GT4 on the way and the fact that Porsche is upping their production by 50%, the supply of good used 987.2 and 981's will only increase.

Never driven Watkins Glen; looking forward to it in early May!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:56 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sven76
GT3 front arms if you want to use semis (I have a separate set of Michelin Cup 2 tires on OZ rims), maybe other brake pads (I get Brembo, they are street legal), proper brake fluid, that's it. Many people recommend GT3 brake cylinder but I'm not sure, will take it to track first and decide then. How have you installed the harness? Harness bar or cage? I got a Heigo cage (club sport cage / half cage only). You have a pretty similar spec as I have, but I like your colour better. Getting a CR specced to own wishes is difficult enough, so I was happy with any colour. Enjoy the car.

Thanks Sven. Belts attached to harness bar. My buddy that I bought the car from had the work done by Stable Energies.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:43 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

My CR is ABM too with 6MT. Have about 30k miles now including about 60 track days mostly at TWS and a few at MSR, NOLA and COTA. That also includes time in novice so not too hard on the car. Still it has held up really well. Only maintenance has been oil/filter changes and brake fluid flushes.....oh, lots of tires and brakes lol .Will change the plugs soon. I had an early PCM failure-replaced under warranty. Also water pump started going at about 25k mi. also replaced under warranty. Just recently the PDLS sensor in the rear failed and it was done under warranty. For mods I switched the sport seats for sport buckets (don't ask what that cost!) I got the Cantrell lowering brackets for the drivers side and got the seat lower and slightly tilted back- really like that position. I have the Hergesheimer roll bar and Schroth profi II gt3 6 pt harnesses with 2in Hans shoulder belts on the drivers side. Added the gt3 LCAs to get more camber. For track I got a set of OZ 18in wheels from tire rack and have been running Yoko AD08R and Hankook RS3s. Going to try Nitto NT01s next. On the brakes have only done hi temp fluid and Pagid yello/black pads. Have had a ton of fun with this car. And never even considered selling or trading it when I got my GT3!

Quick Reply: My new-to-me Cayman R