Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 without PSE. Can I install myself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM
viseman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@storrii, that would be great. Here are the vids I found. While the first one is a Boxster, the exhaust note is noticeably different with PSE and no PSE. The second one really demonstrates the difference with the Cayman. The biggest improvement I can tell is a louder more angry rev-up and those awesome pops and crackles when the throttle falls down. In other news, I just received the Macan multi-function steering wheel and adapter that I'm going to install in my 981 S, hopefully this weekend. It'll give it the look of the 718 but with functionality.

1)
2)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the videos, viseman!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Strutter
1st Gear

Originally Posted by viseman
Thanks guys, I just ordered the PSE from Suncoast for $2190 after watching some before and after videos. I'm sold on the crackle. Local Porsche dealer quoted $1540 for the installation. Seems steep but this is the SF bay area so it may be the cost of living bump. Curious what you all think about that price. I want it done right and on record as being done by Porsche.
I inquired last week about the installation cost from Livermore Porsche. They quoted me $1000. I would give them a call.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:58 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

My local Porsche dealer quoted me $1,450 - 10% PCA discount for PSE installation. They also quoted $750 - 10% PCA discount for transplanting a set of tires from one set of wheels to the other (involving dismounting 8 tires, remounting and balancing 4 tires and discarding 4 tires). I thought THAT was steep!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:00 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
They also quoted $750 - 10% PCA discount for transplanting a set of tires from one set of wheels to the other (involving dismounting 8 tires, remounting and balancing 4 tires and discarding 4 tires). I thought THAT was steep!
That is completely insane. Any Tire Barn or Discount Tire will do that for $100-$120 total. That's just the dealer not wanting to do the work.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:43 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
That is completely insane. Any Tire Barn or Discount Tire will do that for $100-$120 total. That's just the dealer not wanting to do the work.
No doubt! But I don't think I will let a discount tire center touch my wheels. While I was at the PCA gathering, I got a few names from the tech chief to try.

Now back to the PSE. The parts are $2,195 + shipping from Suncoast (additional $550 if I want the chrome tips). Adding $1,305 + tax for installation, the total will be nearly $3,700 without the tips and over $4,200 with the tips. The aftermarket exhaust options started looking more appealing....
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

No doubt! But I don't think I will let a discount tire center touch my wheels. While I was at the PCA gathering, I got a few names from the tech chief to try.

Now back to the PSE. The parts are $2,195 + shipping from Suncoast (additional $550 if I want the chrome tips). Adding $1,305 + tax for installation, the total will be nearly $3,700 without the tips and over $4,200 with the tips. The aftermarket exhaust options started looking more appealing....
My install was about $900 total, and I got the chrome tips (practically new - seriously, and I am meticulous) for $225 or so. I DID buy the kit new but I think even that I was able to get closer to $2k (I think prices were just lower then. I know that on some stuff I was waiting on to buy they have gone up a couple hundred. Anyway, even the PSE goes on sale here used periodically (in various stages of "complete-ness" but you could always buy the missing parts and factor that into your offer). All in I was at about $3,100. My point is, you can get good deals on some stuff if you are patient and significantly save yourself some $$ but, IMO, PSE is worth waiting for. Good luck! - Dom
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
My install was about $900 total, and I got the chrome tips (practically new - seriously, and I am meticulous) for $225 or so. I DID buy the kit new but I think even that I was able to get closer to $2k (I think prices were just lower then. I know that on some stuff I was waiting on to buy they have gone up a couple hundred. Anyway, even the PSE goes on sale here used periodically (in various stages of "complete-ness" but you could always buy the missing parts and factor that into your offer). All in I was at about $3,100. My point is, you can get good deals on some stuff if you are patient and significantly save yourself some $$ but, IMO, PSE is worth waiting for. Good luck! - Dom
Good point! I'm in no rush by any means. I can even wait for Suncoast's Black Friday deal for that matter. I also have to shop around for the installation cost. My understanding is that it needs to be a Porsche dealer because a programming is involved. Am I right about this?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Good point! I'm in no rush by any means. I can even wait for Suncoast's Black Friday deal for that matter. I also have to shop around for the installation cost. My understanding is that it needs to be a Porsche dealer because a programming is involved. Am I right about this?
In order to use the factory switch on the console, that is correct. If using a standalone remote, such as the aftermarket units, it need not be done at a dealer or programmed.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, if you want it to work as the factory option does (with button to turn on/off, with a 'silent' mode in certain RPM ranges), it needs to be programmed by a shop that has (and knows) PIWIS. There are folks on here that choose to forgo that b/c they want it loud all the time (either by not doing the programming or 'capping off' vacuum lines - I do not know much about those options as I wanted it to work like it does from the factory). Good luck and let us know when/if you install! - Dom
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Yes, if you want it to work as the factory option does (with button to turn on/off, with a 'silent' mode in certain RPM ranges), it needs to be programmed by a shop that has (and knows) PIWIS. There are folks on here that choose to forgo that b/c they want it loud all the time (either by not doing the programming or 'capping off' vacuum lines - I do not know much about those options as I wanted it to work like it does from the factory). Good luck and let us know when/if you install! - Dom
Another popular option, which I chose, is to use a third party solenoid and remote. I have a remote that is loud or quiet, and can choose loud or quiet any time irrespective of RPM or anything else. No programming required for this option either (although you do need the parts, of course, which differ somewhat from the OEM solenoid and controller).
Old 02-21-2018, 01:47 PM
viseman
Intermediate

I received the new PSE from Suncoast and having Carlsen Porsche do the install today. Out of 4 SF bay area Porsche dealerships, I was quoted $1000 to $1800. Carlsen okayed price matching Steven's Creek Porsche at $1200 (down from $1540), which I thought was fair and their proximity was preferred. I will say though, the service manager at Steven's Creek knows his stuff vs. the other dealership service folks I spoke with and a friend of mine had recommended them highly. Perhaps next time. Crossing fingers that Carlsen does a good job. More soon!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:51 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

I received the new PSE from Suncoast and having Carlsen Porsche do the install today. Out of 4 SF bay area Porsche dealerships, I was quoted $1000 to $1800. Carlsen okayed price matching Steven's Creek Porsche at $1200 (down from $1540), which I thought was fair and their proximity was preferred. I will say though, the service manager at Steven's Creek knows his stuff vs. the other dealership service folks I spoke with and a friend of mine had recommended them highly. Perhaps next time. Crossing fingers that Carlsen does a good job. More soon!
Anxiously awaiting your review.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:04 PM
viseman
Intermediate

Hey guys and @storri, I called the dealer for an update today and they said the car is NOT pre-wired for the PSE. It was suggested on this forum that the Cayman S with Sport Chrono Package was pre-wired for the PSE button, however, that is not true, at least not in my case. The dealership has to wire it in, which is 3 hours of additional work so they'll be adding $600 to my $1200 quote for a total of $1800. Ouch. The Suncoast PSE kit does come with everything including the wiring, button and vacuum lines. They say I'll have it back next Monday. More soon.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:41 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Hey guys and @storri, I called the dealer for an update today and they said the car is NOT pre-wired for the PSE. It was suggested on this forum that the Cayman S with Sport Chrono Package was pre-wired for the PSE button, however, that is not true, at least not in my case. The dealership has to wire it in, which is 3 hours of additional work so they'll be adding $600 to my $1200 quote for a total of $1800. Ouch. The Suncoast PSE kit does come with everything including the wiring, button and vacuum lines. They say I'll have it back next Monday. More soon.
Ouch! Does that mean you got the installation quotes by telling the dealers that the car was pre-wired for PSE? It has been discussed in this thread that 981's, as well as 987.2's, were not pre-wired. The following post clearly stated that 981's were not pre-wired:

Originally Posted by Krampus
I'm just about to do this install on my Boxster 981. I can tell you for a fact that if your car was not ordered with PSE from the factory it is not pre-wired in any way. I have a 2015 PDK Sport Chrono car and nothing for the PSE was in place.

Couldn't the dealers tell you that the car shouldn't be pre-wired when they quoted the price?? It doesn't sound right to me.

I'm going back to my dealer for another PCA gathering tomorrow. I will speak to the service guy again to find out exactly what is included in the quote he gave me the other day.

Quick Reply: 981 without PSE. Can I install myself?