Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ims cam locking tool use question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:18 PM
$pit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ims cam locking tool use question

I started to work on my car and bought the tool kit for IMS replacement from LNengineering. It comes with one lock for the three cam engine. Most info i find says on a three cam engine you should lock all the cams on both halves of the engine, 1-3 and 4-6. Should i be concerned about locking both heads cams? If not which should i lock?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Read the instructions again.

"Use appropriate long cam lock tool for 3-chain or short cam lock tool for 5-chain engine to lock cams prior to removing chain tensioners. Lock camshaft in head with tensioner accessed from underside of the engine, closest to flywheel."
Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM
$pit
Advanced

I have reread the instructions but still have a question. Some reasearch on the web says that on a 3chain engine it is not uncommon for the unlocked cams to move due to spring tensin on the cam. Looking for a general concensus from those of you who actually may have done this on a three cam engine and what you chose to do and if any cams ended up moving. I am thinking of making a tool for the other set of cams. I can get 6mm metal stock pretty easy. I am leaning as to making the second lock. But am asking for feedback from this forum as to real world experiances.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm sure someone with some real experience on this will chip in. I don't mind admitting I have none. My working on engine days are past and I don't miss them.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:38 AM
$pit
Advanced

Macster,

Thanks for your response. Written instructions are great as a guide, but when someone does the task some thing always comesup thats different. My search around the web found differing information so im hopeing to tap into the members here who completed this repair.

Quick Reply: Ims cam locking tool use question