Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSKs and shift cable / syncros failure correlation

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts
Default SSKs and shift cable / syncros failure correlation

I've read a few threads on this website and P9 about shift cable and syncro failures. Two questions:

1) I don't completely understand how this works, but if the throw on a SSK is shorter, and can cause the syncros to wear out quicker due to them not being fully engaged, does that mean that the shift cables themselves are being stressed/tugged less with the SSK in? In other words, should the life of the cables be better with the SSK in, assuming a properly adjusted/aligned installation?

2) How much quicker are the syncros being worn with a SSK in?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't answer your question directly, but I've had my short shift kit (OEM) installed for about 45k miles now since the car was almost new. No noticable syncro wear. Cables just started giving me trouble as the gear shift lever is slow to return to neutral when you push towards reverse. I've got it apart right now and the SSK is operating fine (it behaved the same way with the original mechanism installed)--the cable seems to be dragging a bit.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that syncro wear issues with short shifters were due to the shortened time between shifts.

That in combination with the driver not adjusting their clutch engagement/disengagement timing for the shorter throw, will not allow the syncros to completely finish their job.

Every SSK I installed (not Porsche however), either came with new cables, or the original linkage was unaffected and reused the stock linkage.

BD
Old 12-05-2013, 01:04 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gmsracing
Can't answer your question directly, but I've had my short shift kit (OEM) installed for about 45k miles now since the car was almost new. No noticable syncro wear. Cables just started giving me trouble as the gear shift lever is slow to return to neutral when you push towards reverse. I've got it apart right now and the SSK is operating fine (it behaved the same way with the original mechanism installed)--the cable seems to be dragging a bit.
Well, I hope my cables speak to be before they go, as opposed to just failing alltogether.

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
I was under the impression that syncro wear issues with short shifters were due to the shortened time between shifts.

That in combination with the driver not adjusting their clutch engagement/disengagement timing for the shorter throw, will not allow the syncros to completely finish their job.

Every SSK I installed (not Porsche however), either came with new cables, or the original linkage was unaffected and reused the stock linkage.

BD
That makes sense about the faster shifts. I don't necessarily shift faster with the SSK (I usually shift slow anyways). It's just nice having a more precise throw. Thanks.

Quick Reply: SSKs and shift cable / syncros failure correlation