Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porschemesh for my Boxster

Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porschemesh for my Boxster

I am thinking about getting the mesh for my Boxster front grilles and have read from at least one RLer here that they may restrict airflow to the radiators enough to cause a hot running engine. Anyone else here have that experience?

My car is mainly a fun run car with a few track days a year thrown in.

I also can't decide if the black or clear coated aluminum would look better on a Meteor Grey car, any opinions?

Lastly, I have read that the folks running the Porschemesh site/business are a bit unreliable. Anyone gotten burned?

Thanks for any input.

Steve
Old 12-02-2013, 10:58 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I have mesh on my '11 987S. The car does not run any hotter -- obviously you have to remove debris from it now and then, or airflow will get impeded and you then would run hotter.

My shop got it and installed it for me -- I don't know if they used Porschemesh or some other brand.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM
OttawaMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the look...just not sure how I feel about something that uses zip ties to secure them and I wonder about any rattle sound. I'm not sure how they can be improved but I would have expected some sort of better clip system to secure them to the car.

Kinda like those home renovation shows where they paint right over the wallpaper. Looks fine on TV from a distance but don't get too close.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

@fhp911 whose mesh did you use on your car? thank you
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OttawaMan
I love the look...just not sure how I feel about something that uses zip ties to secure them and I wonder about any rattle sound. I'm not sure how they can be improved but I would have expected some sort of better clip system to secure them to the car.

Kinda like those home renovation shows where they paint right over the wallpaper. Looks fine on TV from a distance but don't get too close.
I agree about the zip ties being a bit cheesy, I saw them used on the planet 9 "how to install" page but did not detect them on the porschemesh site, gallery of customer installations.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a 2009 997 Turbo and installed the grill mesh that Rennline sells had to remove the front bumper for the install the finished look is very factory...unfortunately they did not develop a product for the Boxster as there was not enough demand...
Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have the Porschemesh version on my Spyder and haven't had any issues with running hot, rattling or other issues. They mount using a wire, not zip ties. The zip ties are there for initial installation only. If you send an email to Porschemesh they should be willing to share the installation instructions before purchase to put you at ease. They do require gluiing on the Spyder but I used double sided tape instead (didn't want something permanent) and I haven't had any issues although the original owner of Porschemesh said this wouldn't work for a DD or regular use car.

I would definitely recommend them, they have stopped many a leaf and large grasshoppers froming being inhaled into the radiator opening. They also keep the large rocks from damaging the radiator fins which is a big issue with having the radiators mounted so low.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Only1Buck wanted to know what mesh I have in my '11 Boxster S. I asked my shop: They buy aluminum mesh and fasten it to fit.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plastic gutter mesh (Frost King) with UV stable zip ties. Zero issues after 3 seasons.

Maybe ghetto, but 15 min install, and easily a "five footer" install for looks.

Can't see the black zips ties on the black trim unless your up close and really looking for them.

BD
Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have the Porschemesh version on my Spyder and haven't had any issues with running hot, rattling or other issues. They mount using a wire, not zip ties. The zip ties are there for initial installation only. If you send an email to Porschemesh they should be willing to share the installation instructions before purchase to put you at ease. They do require gluiing on the Spyder but I used double sided tape instead (didn't want something permanent) and I haven't had any issues although the original owner of Porschemesh said this wouldn't work for a DD or regular use car.

I would definitely recommend them, they have stopped many a leaf and large grasshoppers froming being inhaled into the radiator opening. They also keep the large rocks from damaging the radiator fins which is a big issue with having the radiators mounted so low.
Afshin
Where do the wires mount to?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
Afshin
Where do the wires mount to?
The kit includes small squares with hoops built into them. The wire hooks around the mesh and through the hoop on the squares. The squares are glued (or double side taped) under the black intake horizontal trim on the Spyder. The wires and squares can not be seen unless you are underneath the car or laying down in front of it. I can try to take a picture if my explanation doesn't make sense, let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porschemesh for my Boxster