Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK vs 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:20 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PDK vs 6 speed

Had a chance to drive 2014 Cayman S PDK and 6 speed the other day. PDK is really tripped and love the down shift blip. PDK manual stick function was a bit strange for me coming from GT3 Cup sequential where you pull back to up shift and forward to down shift and PDK is just the opposite. 6 speed is very smooth shifting ...maybe a bit too smooth and numb. I am really impressed with the car and if Porsche add another 50 Hp/torque no one in there right mind will buy a 911.

I love manual and it makes you feel connected with the car but you can't beat the efficiency of PDK especially for track duty. What are your experience with PDK and manual?

btw, these new interior are just fantastic!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i like my PDK but i wish for 150 fts. torque increase.these motors aint no stump pullers at ANY RPM
Old 11-08-2013, 05:19 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
i like my PDK but i wish for 150 fts. torque increase.these motors aint no stump pullers at ANY RPM
lol

Agree! I blip the gears down and stump on the gas and the car did not pull away with authority. That said I am biased since I drive a 600+ hp/torque Z06
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

alas my i got rid of my 07 z 06...i bought the porsche to slow down. i ssssooo miss the animal power of the chevy but NJ is so much safer with me in the slower car.i put 50k felony fun miles on the z...why i am still alive or not in jail...dunno
Old 11-08-2013, 06:51 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
alas my i got rid of my 07 z 06...i bought the porsche to slow down. i ssssooo miss the animal power of the chevy but NJ is so much safer with me in the slower car.i put 50k felony fun miles on the z...why i am still alive or not in jail...dunno
yeah, these Z06 have crazy power and it's best to use it on the track instead of street. Slow is a good thing on the street. I drive like grandpa on street but once I get to the track .... watch out!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Mike,

The paddles, levers, and their configuration don't really matter since the most efficient way to utilize PDK at the track is to leave it in sport + auto. It does everything for you perfectly already. Using the paddles or lever is superfluous.

When I had a dual clutch, I used manual mode on the street because the auto algorithm cannot account for all the randomness in a street driving environment. However, at the track the only time auto mode screws up is if you screw up entering a corner.

Remember my Evo? Full auto:
Old 11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Mike,

The paddles, levers, and their configuration don't really matter since the most efficient way to utilize PDK at the track is to leave it in sport + auto. It does everything for you perfectly already. Using the paddles or lever is superfluous.

When I had a dual clutch, I used manual mode on the street because the auto algorithm cannot account for all the randomness in a street driving environment. However, at the track the only time auto mode screws up is if you screw up entering a corner.
Damn! I can't bare the thought of leaving it all to computer to shift gears. I like to sweat a bit and work the muscle to get max fun

Last edited by mikymu; 11-09-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hate to break it to you, Mike, but pulling the paddles and lever isn't going to give you much of workout either. If you want to sweat, stick with a manual. ;-)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:40 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Hate to break it to you, Mike, but pulling the paddles and lever isn't going to give you much of workout either. If you want to sweat, stick with a manual. ;-)
yeah, manual may not be as fast as PDK but it's a lot more involve and fun
Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike,

Just drop a LS3 in the new Cayman.

That will help cure the torque issue for you.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:32 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, the new PDK-s fixes the stick to proper format - pull back shift up, push forward down shift. Only available in the GT3, but I'm sure that will change.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:36 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430
Mike,

Just drop a LS3 in the new Cayman.

That will help cure the torque issue for you.
lol

these new Cayman engine sound just like GT3 with distinct metallic rattle but once you step on the gas you know it ain't no GT3

Some how older Boxster Spyder feel more lively. I have a feeling that newer Boxster/Cayman isolate the driver more from engine/tranny vibration and noise which makes it feel slow but in fact it's a faster car. Solid engine mounts and stiff shift linkage can help ...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:42 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
FWIW, the new PDK-s fixes the stick to proper format - pull back shift up, push forward down shift. Only available in the GT3, but I'm sure that will change.
only in GT3? It was odd to pull the PDK back to down shift and forward to up shift. I guess it all depend on what you are used to. I was thinking maybe I can turn the PDK stick 180 degree to solve the problem much like how people rotate the RPM gauge in their old Porsche to easily ID redline

Old 11-09-2013, 04:00 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

here you go, found the PDK gear lever pic as follow

Boxster/cayman - pull back to down shift and forward to up shift. See the + sign on the top and the - sign on the bottom

vs 991 GT3 PDK-s where + is on the bottom and - on top. This is bad. Porsche should make these PDK gear lever uniform so people don't get confuse or worst cause a wreck if they are not used to the direction of gear selection.

Love the way Porsch describe the 991 GT3 PDK

" Manual operation of the 911 GT3-specific gear selector is based on the established motorsport principle: back to shift up, forward to shift down."

so GT3 get the proper motorsport PDK and everyone else get the "who cares" PDK?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, it's pretty sad that Porsche follows the conventions of minivans and SUVs with the standard PDK. I never understood that. My Evo's SST/DCT tranny had it right. Pull down for upshift, push forward for downshift.

Quick Reply: PDK vs 6 speed