Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Goodbye to the 991S and Hello to the Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a quick update guys after another weekend at the track, this time at Texas World Speedway in College Station. First time on this track and had an absolute blast. Not the most technical track, but very fast with some very challenging corners. Nothing like coming off the banking on the oval and into the transition at Turn 1 at 132MPH with the accelerator pinned!

I ordered the GT3 brake ducts and Pagid yellows for the front and blacks for the rear but unfortunately UPS only got them here late Friday evening which meant I didn't have time to put them on before I left. I loaded everything in and figured I'd have to find a way to get them on at the track.

I was forced to run the first session with the stock pads again and even while I was trying to feel my way around the course and slowly get up to speed, they were already getting pretty soft and fading by the end of the 20 min session. Not exactly what you want with that entrance into Turn 1.

I knew there was no way I could go back out again with them on, so I had to sacrifice the 2nd session to get the new pads fitted. With the help of some friends and the great guys from NolaSport trackside support, we had them done just in time for me to run out to the access road outside the track to bed them and barely make the grid for the third session. Unfortunately we didn't have time to get the GT3 ducts on.

The braking performance and feel were improved substantially. For me this solved 90% of the problems I had with the stock setup. There was not a hint of fade or long pedal travel for the rest of the weekend. I will definitely fit the GT3 ducts and still might go for the GT3 master cylinder, but I'm not really convinced this car needs more than the stock discs and calipers if you're running on street tires. If you switched to R-comps or Hoosiers that might be a different story.

I also had the worn out PZeros swapped for PSS's on Friday and while they were at it I had the dealer put on a slightly more aggressive "street / track" alignment. I went with 1 deg negative in the front and 2 neg in the rear. Not a major change but it helped. The PSS's have way more grip, and seem to be far, far more durable than the Pirellis. Running them at a hot pressure of about 32 seemed to be just right. Above 36/37 and they started to feel a little greasy towards the end of the session. All in all, these were a major upgrade over the OE tire. The car felt perfectly balanced (as long as you didn't push the front end too hard in the slower, constant radius stuff) and was an absolute blast to drive.

With the changes to the track pads and the upgrade to the PSS's, this is the car I ordered!

Last edited by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom; 09-27-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe no one stopped you from going to the track with stock fluid and stock brake deflectors. Its a known fact in the Spyder realm, those are must do's before going to the track.

Forget about the Fabspeed Exhaust, you will be throwing money away. Way too much drone.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 PM
TheGeezer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always good to have another 987 owner tearing up the Texas tracks I run a Cayman R setup much like yours (Michelin PSS/fluid/pad upgrade, aggressive track alignment, all else stock except the GT3 master cylinder), and would highly recommend the GT3 master cylinder upgrade. With these relatively simple mods, the car has been able to handle everything I throw at it throughout the summer both on technical tracks (Harris hill road) and long, fast tracks (COTA).

The car really is a little monster
Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Geezer, hope to see you at the track sometime. Glad to hear you are enjoying the car, too. They really are little monsters.

The problem I'm going to have with this car is leaving it alone. I guess you could call what I've done so far Stage 0. If I went any further it would probably see something like this.

Stage 1:
RSS or GT3 control arms in the front so I could get to -2deg camber
Some sort of aftermarket exhaust purely to enjoy a little more noise...the car is a little quiet for my tastes.

Stage 2:
Third radiator for extra cooling
R-comp tires
Larger discs up front to deal with high speeds / friction generated by the tires

Stage 3:
Coil Overs
Adjustable sway bars, those RSS Tuning ones look good
Monoball rear toe steer kit

Stage 4 aka "GT3 Hunter / Killer Mode":
3.8 DFI Conversion

Now that would take it from little monster territory to big monster territory.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:19 PM
markk132
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm considering a Cayman R as a DD. I was wondering what you thought of the ride height. Do you scrape a lot on driveways and such? Can you compare your experience with the Cayman R to your 991 S in that regard? Or even better, to another car you drive or have driven regularly? I'd be coming from sport sedans with sport packages, i.e. BMW 335, Infiniti G37. Thanks for any input!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:40 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I acquired a 6 MT Peridot Green CR in July 2013. I don't use it as a daily driver per se, nor is it my weekend driver (993), but I do use it frequently for intermediate trips where I am not expected to be in stop and go traffic. I took it down to Indianapolis from Chicago in September and it was a great car to drive (boring roads be that as it is). I have yet to scrape, and I've gone up and down (newer) public parking ramps that have inclines. Also, sometime I misjudge where I am relative to concrete parking stops, as I like to stop before i place the nose over them, but I've never scaped them yet either. While I am conservative in my approach angles on drive ways et al, I have yet to scrape. Personally, I would have no qualms making the CR a daily driver, but that is just me. It is a great complement to my 993 - something old(er) and something new - and I've sqwelched the bug for something truly exotic.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM
greymanR
Advanced

I do 100+ miles per day 4times a week in the CR.....perfect, i can load frunk/trunk has nice AC and sound system (not the bose), most importantly i have done 2 open tracks(de?) and car is Fast!

yes its rougher ride than 335/g37 , 19' wheels and rigid chassis will do that
Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 PM
markk132
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

i see, thanks for the responses. i'm not worried about how rough the ride is, and i am aware of the tires sizes when it comes to pot holes. i would plan to have a winter tire set up that is either 17" or 18" anyway for the winter. But really I'm more just worried with ride height and going in and out of driveways
Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 AM
greymanR
Advanced

Wink

I cross a lot of different speed bumps and it does not scrape at all....even with the GT3 Brake Air Guide Duct that is a bit lower than the standard

the only thing i miss in my is the manual...i keep reaching for the lever to shift the PDK...oh and the bucket seats...

go for it and post pics
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by markk132
i see, thanks for the responses. i'm not worried about how rough the ride is, and i am aware of the tires sizes when it comes to pot holes. i would plan to have a winter tire set up that is either 17" or 18" anyway for the winter. But really I'm more just worried with ride height and going in and out of driveways
Haven't scraped mine, but am careful to cut an angle going into and out of driveways/drainage recesses.
As an example, had a minor warranty check at the dealer, asked the mechanic to please be careful with the front,
got back, sure enough, he scraped the bottom of the splitter just behind the leading edge.
Got extremely lucky in that I had that area clear bra'd and the clear bra saved it (with replacement of the splitter clear bra).
So it is close if you're not watching what you're doing, still be careful by using angles/reducing speed if there's a question.
But it isn't as close as an Exige/GT3 etc...
Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
ajondyh
Track Day

I have suffered with long pedals

Last edited by ajondyh; 01-05-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

I agree with most of what has been posted already to your query but I'll try to add a little more.

Yes, the CR is definitely lower at the front than the 991 S (I had SPASM). If you're careful with the approach angles you should be fine.

Right now it is literally the only car I own and I have been daily driving it since I've had it. The passive Bilstein shocks along with the 19s mean that the ride will definitely be significantly more flinty compared to what you're used to in the 3 series or G cars, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Some people have more/less tolerance for this than others, so YMMV.

I can tell you after 4 mos. of owning and daily driving it that I hope I never have to sell it. If a true sports car is what you are after, buy it and you will not be disappointed.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by markk132
Going in and out of driveways is fine as long as you do it slowly and at an angle. Some slopes need more severe angle of approach than others. FYI, you WILL scrape something somewhere at some point, but it's just the black plastic piece in front of the wheels (disposable) rather than the nose. Nose will be fine if you follow the above procedure.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
I can tell you after 4 mos. of owning and daily driving it that I hope I never have to sell it. If a true sports car is what you are after, buy it and you will not be disappointed.
Very glad to hear that and that you're enjoying it!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Thanks! How can you not?

Quick Reply: It's Goodbye to the 991S and Hello to the Cayman R