Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guards Red Boxster - new owner.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM
RO.
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Guards Red Boxster - new owner.

I almost gave up on owning a Porsche. After many years of attending sports car races, talking to owners, reading forms and countless magazines including having a subscription to Excellence for the past 5 years. I didn’t think it was going to happen.

It was time for my once a year stop at the dealership, one afternoon I stopped at our local Porsche dealership, thinking what am I doing to myself! I told the salesman I was looking for an entry level Porsche. We walked to the trade-in lot in the back of the dealership and there was a base 09 Boxster, 33k miles with CPO. The car fit my situation perfectly and a deal was finalized, traded one red convertible (MX-5) for another.

CPO certification included a new set of Michelins, in service date was Jan 2010, factory warranty expires Jan 2014 or 50K miles, CPO tacks on an additional 2 years and 50k miles.

Major specifications:
• Guards Red
• 18” Boxster S II wheels
• PDK
• Heated and ventilated Seats
• Sound Package
• Bluetooth
• Automatic Climate control

After three months of ownership, the car continues to impress me and buying this car is one of the best decisions I have made. This form continues to fuel my passion for these cars and helped me make a good decision on the purchase of my first Porsche, thanks!
Attached Images     
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Looks good.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking example and glad to see your finally into a Porsche Any plans for modifications ?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love guards red on beige or brown. Looks gorgeous. Funny how what is entry level for Porsche, is still a phenomenal sports car. Especially once you realize that there is alot more than just 0-60 time :-)
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 570 Posts

Great ride! Congrats!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Very nice Boxster! Extended warranty is a definite bonus.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 AM
RO.
Track Day

Thanks guys! Right now I am very satisfied with the performance, sound and handling of this car, so the only mod I’m thinking about is installing clear side markers. One thing that has surprised me is the luxury aspect of the car, it’s very comfortable. The high speed acceleration is crazy; I’m not use to this type of performance (an Autocross and DE is on my list). The PDK fits my driving style, when I find a spot to use manual mode, it puts a big smile on my face!
I also got a year membership to PCA, after a tech session at the Porsche dealership, everybody got to drive a 2013 911 Carrera 4S, the launch control was awesome, talk about acceleration and grip! On race day I volunteer and help park cars at the Sebring Porscheplatz. I enjoy being around these cars.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM
RO.
Track Day

My ownership of this 2009 Boxster has come to an end after 3 and half years. Guards red is one of my favorite Porsche exterior colors, if I had ordered the car I would have chosen a black interior. I was happy with the performance and the exhaust note; it got attention and a lot of positive comments. I was very easy on the car, two or three PCA autocross’s and only hit triple digit speeds a few times on the interstate (top down and I did not lose my hat). A week in Western North Carolina was awesome, PDK in manual mode for mountain driving satisfied my sports car expectations, and I could never go without a Porsche in the garage!

As far as maintenance I did all the oil/filter changes, the $35 oil filter socket from Porsche was well worth the money. I also changed the crush washer and canister O-ring. At 60K miles I changed the brake pads and brake sensors which was easier than doing the oil changes. I loved doing the brakes and was planning to change pads and rotors at 120K miles. The other stuff (spark plugs, air filters, drive belt, PDK maintenance, etc) was done at the Porsche dealership. I averaged 26.5 miles per gallon over 85K miles. The 9A1 engine started to use oil at about 90K miles (no dripping); I would have to add a half a quart of oil between oil changes.

When the car was CPO’d new Michelins were installed, after 35K miles I put a set of Bridgestone Pole Position S04 tires on. 37K miles later I put on two new rear Pole Position S04 tires. Tire wear was not too bad, but I was easy on the car. I could put 4 Bridgestone tires on for the price of two Michelins, so I went for value.

In the middle of June with 118K miles on the car, I was on my way home from work. Cruising down the interstate at 80mph the transmission goes into “Emergence Run” mode. Stopping the car and turning it off reset the warning, the next day it happened three times and with a “Check Engine” warning. Parked the car for a couple days and got it to the dealership. The PDK control module was replaced, but did not fix the issue, next would be the PDK at $14K. I was in shock; I never thought it would happen to me. Is the PDK the next RMS issue?

I had three options – 1. Flat bed the car home and look for a used PDK, 2. Whip out the credit card. 3. Dealership just took in a 981 Agate Gray with 24K miles and was offering me a trade. I took the 2013 Agate Gray Boxster with 20” Carrera Classic wheels, and CPO’d.

I just thought Porsche’s PDK transmission could last over 200K miles, it should have, I am very disappointed in Porsche.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 PM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Where are the pics of the new car??
Old 07-24-2016, 03:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Bummer on the pdk, it is a disappointment to hear it died and Porsche wouldn't work out a deal.

Put up some pics of the new car and bigger question, did you go with pdk again or switch to manual?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing that you put 85,000 miles on a car (Porsche especially) in three years!
I went from a 987 Boxster to a 981 Boxster this year and am enjoying the car quite a bit. It's a nice update.

Any street car transmission that costs 13k should never fail. Is no one servicing/repairing these yet? Any idea what used PDKs are going for at a salvage yard? I'd be curious what failed on your transmission. I didn't get a sense that you had a major mechanical breakage. Mechanical or something as simple as a chip or solder point?

Anyway enjoy the new car! SmartTop is my favorite mod on these. Easy to install.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM
981spyder
Racer

pictures please!!!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 AM
RO.
Track Day

Blue – You know I think I would take a manual over the PDK, I think it would be less expense to maintain and I think my knees could handle it. Would a clutch or gear box repair be well below $14k, I bet it would be. For the last few years a large percentage of 911’s and Boxster/Caymans have come with a PDK. I was in a tight spot and the 981 came with the PDK, I’ll be real nervous when I get near the end of the warranty. The 09 Boxster PDK would make some clucking noise when shifting from park to drive or reverse, I thought this was the mechanical sounds that Porsche owners like to hear. The PDK in the 981 is very quiet, fast and smooth, F1 like. It will be fun.

Georound – I drove the car to the dealership and for a couple of days the PDK was normal but after a week it would not move. By that time I was long gone with the 981. Going from the 987.2 to the 981 was like night and day, I can’t believe that there was four years difference in the two cars. I did talk to an independent mechanic, but he didn’t have any options for me. The Porsche techs tried a new control module; an internal sensor is my guess.

Pictures are coming, I want to get a good picture of the interior, it has the leather package with the two-tone combination (Agate Grey and Pebble Gray). It’s kind of rare, but I like it, so I‘ll try and get a couple I-phone shots. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 PM
RO.
Track Day

This is my new to me 2013 Porsche Boxster. Purchased with 24K miles and with Porsche Approved Warranty, dealer mounted a new set of Pirelli P-Zero’s.
Options:
• PDK
• 20-inch Carrera Classic wheels
• PDLS, Bi-Xenon headlights (603)
• Power Steering Plus (658)
• Leather Package with partial leather seats Agate Grey/Pebble Grey (PV)
• Agate Grey Metallic (N0)
• Power Sport Seats (14-way) (P06)
• Infotainment Package with Bose (P91)
• Premium Package (P94)
• Multi-function Steering Wheel (844)
So far I’m real happy with the car; the sport mode is what sold me the car! Currently I have the Auto Stop Start function enabled, I’m not sure I like this option. Car sounds great too.
Pictures:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guards Red Boxster - new owner.