Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for 981 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
As everyone says, it depends on what you value/want. Luxury or pure Porsche sport or both? I like some of each. Do the red interior with full leather, S, screw the sound and butt messaging seats. Do Manual, and PSE. Then go enjoy it.
Agreed. More pure sports :-)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
As everyone says, it depends on what you value/want. Luxury or pure Porsche sport or both? I like some of each. Do the red interior with full leather, S, screw the sound and butt messaging seats. Do Manual, and PSE. Then go enjoy it.
It's both for me. As I said I'm driving a Jeep and a Jeep is, well... a Jeep

Originally Posted by Underblu
I like your car. There are no must have options afaic. A base 981 with nothing is an amazing car.

i will say this though, out of all the options on my 981S, the one option i would check first is PASM.

If you live where roads are less than optimal PASM is great. It povides the perfect combination of enahnced handling and comfortable ride. i dont know how Porsche does it as peviously comfort always came at the expense of ultimate handling. Not so with PASM. The ride is comfortable but the feel is taught and sharp amazing.

I like the full leather. thets one option I wish I got on my 981S as the stitching on the dash especially deviated stitching gives it a real nice look.

Congrats and good luck
Yeah thanks for the advice! Since I don't live where I'll live after I buy the car I don't really know how the roads are (Seattle). But since there's a lot of people suggesting it I might check it out.
The full leather with all the options can be very pricey!!

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Here's my 2 cents CND / 1.3 cents USD. Y

Re: Basic 981 or 981 S? It's an extra chunk of $$ and I just want a basic car withi a great engine that I can keep in the higher revs without going crazy fast. Check out the Feb issue of Panorama mag.

Add:
1. PSE - sport exhaust or PASM
2. Sport Seats Plus - a must for extra bolsters on the side

Drop:
1. Power Steering Boost - WTF? Don't need it. This is a light car.

And youll have a BITCHIN' ride!

Here's my build of a basic 981 for comparison:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PEMAK2X2

My wife thinks white cars are, errr.., a bit 'fancy' if you know what I mean but I saw a 2012 TT cab in white over black, yellow PCCBs and red seat belts and it looked AWESOME.

Whoops - sub 19 inch wheels for the 18's in the build
Sweet!
When my fiancee saw the PSE she said:
Do you really need that?

But more I think about it and more

On the Sport Seats Plus I don't really like the grey color on the back but I guess I should see it in real to see how it looks.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyounet
It's both for me. As I said I'm driving a Jeep and a Jeep is, well... a Jeep

Yeah thanks for the advice! Since I don't live where I'll live after I buy the car I don't really know how the roads are (Seattle). But since there's a lot of people suggesting it I might check it out.
The full leather with all the options can be very pricey!!

Sweet!
When my fiancee saw the PSE she said:
Do you really need that?

But more I think about it and more

On the Sport Seats Plus I don't really like the grey color on the back but I guess I should see it in real to see how it looks.

Thanks everyone!
You can get the seat backs painted the outside colour or covered in leather... for a price!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I would suggest trying to sit in both the 14 and 18 way seats if you haven't. I was surprised how much better the 14 way seats fit my form. I didn't like the 18s at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

And, I forgot to mention the 14s were far superior to the manual seats to me and well worth the money, IMO.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
And, I forgot to mention the 14s were far superior to the manual seats to me and well worth the money, IMO.
Agreed 100%
Old 04-18-2013, 04:00 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Whoops - sub 19 inch wheels for the 18's in the build[/QUOTE]

I don't see the 18" cayman wheels in the configuator for the Boxster, how'd you get them on there?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Originally Posted by meteor10

I don't see the 18" cayman wheels in the configuator for the Boxster, how'd you get them on there?
They are on the configurator and have been for a couple weeks. Clear your cookies and cache and try again
Old 04-19-2013, 04:54 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
They are on the configurator and have been for a couple weeks. Clear your cookies and cache and try again
I see that they are on the Boxster build page and not on the S page where I was. Can you not run the 18" wheels on the S? Are they too small or do they look too small? I don't like the boxster 19" wheels very much and I have heard the 20's are a harsher ride.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Ahhh. My mistake. They don't show on the S b/c std wheels are the 19's. you could maybe special order them perhaps?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I think they are stock on the basic Boxster 981. I forgot to chose the 19' and that's what showed up.

Quick Reply: Advice for 981 build