Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 vs 981S

Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 PM
drdog
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 981 vs 981S

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Does anyone regret getting the base 981 over the 981S? The 981 seems adequate to me, but I do love the low end torque of the 3.4 engine. Any comments will certainly help me make the decision. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 203 Posts

I like the way the S car is packaged - and the subtle trim pieces, exhaust note....just a slightly nicer all around car imho if you don't mind spending the extra dough. I think it will be easier to move in a couple of years when you go to sell it. Bought one for my wife this week - and uth be told, I find it equally fun to drive as my 997TT.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

S all the way. Yes, the base is "adequate"..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

S is cool
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I ordered an S, largely because I wanted so many options. But, I felt there is no question that the S had superior low end torque, which I wanted. Whatever the differences between the 315HP Boxster 3.4, the 325 HP Cayman 3.4 and the 350 HP 991 3.4, it seems to me there is even more power available for those who want to pursue it. If you figure about 50HP extra, more displacement plus all the other goodies for about $10K...
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you going to do with the car? For weekend cruises with the top down and some fast cornering, the base is perfect. It's exhaust note is gorgeous. If you are a torque, push you back into the seats, power kinda guy then get the S. The way I see it is in spirited driving around the backroads here, it's more fun to push a car higher into it's limits than to be forced to back off faster due to the amount of power the car has. The base can be pushed much harder without exceeding the speed limit toooo much, whereas the S or a 911 are going to by far over the speed limit much faster. You can't push them as much.

But in reality, you're talking about a 50K-80K purchase here, and it should be made with your heart not based on our opinions. Which one made you smile like hell when you got out of the car? At any point while driving the base did you think, "I wish...."
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I think it depends upon your personality. If you are the type of person who gathers a lot of information, makes a decision, and never looks back, you'll be happy with the base if that's the way you are leaning because of the reasons cited in this thread. On the other hand if you typically second guess yourself, then by all means go with the S because you will always be wondering what it would be like if you had the S. I have never met anyone who bought the S version of any Porsche who regretted their decision.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just an observation based on 986 base to Spyder. With the base you will be able to explore more of the rev range without exceeding the legal speed limits before you row all the gears. With the Spyder, exceeding the speed limit is so easy, one needs to be mindful all the time to avoid the po po reminder to slow down, I'm sure the 981S is similar.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I read the Excellence write-up on the base 981 and they LOVED it. It's a GREAT car and without the power of the S you have to work it more. You'll be shifting more to get it to go - so make sure to get a manual if you order. It's a great write up and it may change your opinion. I would call it more of a 'purist's car.

I'd actually like to drive one as I agree with terbiumactivated that with more power you run the risk of simply going way to fast before you know it. As a driver of a very fast, quite subdued sound-wise, Porsche I'd like a noisy lower-powered Porsche to see if it has the drama and experience I am looking for WITHOUT the tickets.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw in skinny tires and you'll be sideways at 25 mph... Sounds like a hoot. "More fun to drive a slow car fast..." Can't remember who said that.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I read the Excellence write-up on the base 981 and they LOVED it. It's a GREAT car and without the power of the S you have to work it more. You'll be shifting more to get it to go - so make sure to get a manual if you order. It's a great write up and it may change your opinion. I would call it more of a 'purist's car.

I'd actually like to drive one as I agree with terbiumactivated that with more power you run the risk of simply going way to fast before you know it. As a driver of a very fast, quite subdued sound-wise, Porsche I'd like a noisy lower-powered Porsche to see if it has the drama and experience I am looking for WITHOUT the tickets.
Which issue was that?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Which issue was that?
Whoopsy! My mistake - it's the February issue of Panorama - the great monthly mag published by PCA. Are you a member?

They compared the base 981 to the base Cayenne.

For the 981 "On the road, it's pure, unadulterated joy. The 2.7 liter six makes good noises and boasts 264 HP... The 2.7 recalls engines of the early 70's - with a power band that encourages you to wind it out...

Etc...

In conclusion...

"As the basis for the far more expensive models, these Porsches represent exceptional value. Built to standards that will satisfy buyers at the high end for Porsche's pricing structure' they seem like a very smart buy in the mid five figures. The fact that their chassis and other systems feel every bit as refined as those in Porsche's other offerings proves the point that you don't have to sacafice polish when choosing one of Porshce's simplest offerings.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Whoopsy! My mistake - it's the February issue of Panorama - the great monthly mag published by PCA. Are you a member?

They compared the base 981 to the base Cayenne.

For the 981 "On the road, it's pure, unadulterated joy. The 2.7 liter six makes good noises and boasts 264 HP... The 2.7 recalls engines of the early 70's - with a power band that encourages you to wind it out...

Etc...

In conclusion...

"As the basis for the far more expensive models, these Porsches represent exceptional value. Built to standards that will satisfy buyers at the high end for Porsche's pricing structure' they seem like a very smart buy in the mid five figures. The fact that their chassis and other systems feel every bit as refined as those in Porsche's other offerings proves the point that you don't have to sacafice polish when choosing one of Porshce's simplest offerings.

Not a member yet. Awesome info though, thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Ronnie981
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's simple. Go drive them both. I did. Got the
S with zero regrets. Would i have regrets with the base? No...because i would have never have considered getting the base.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Ronnie981
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Throw in skinny tires and you'll be sideways at 25 mph... Sounds like a hoot. "More fun to drive a slow car fast..." Can't remember who said that.
I disagree..I think it's more fun to drive a fast car even faster!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 vs 981S