Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

BRZ vs. Spyder??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, thanks again for the test drive. Now I understand all the accolades. Incredibly fun and capable car, congrats!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bensf
Joe, thanks again for the test drive. Now I understand all the accolades. Incredibly fun and capable car, congrats!
Thanks, man! Anytime.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Interesting news http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...latform-report

If this actually works out, there will finally be some worthy competition to the boxster/cayman.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by preetham
Interesting news http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...latform-report

If this actually works out, there will finally be some worthy competition to the boxster/cayman.
My opinion but that Toyota is UGLY! I can't find any part of it that I like. It's as if the design couldn't get a snow plow out of his/her mind when they designed it.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Those are concept photos from 2007. The car isn't due until 2017. Hopefully it won't look anything like the concept photos. I'm not understanding how they are going to base it on the FRS platform, but then make it a new platform? The article is confusing. I'm a bit cautious on this whole 'hybrid' powertrain thing too...
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Sry, I should have been more clear..i was referring to the possibility that the Z4 will share the gt86 platform. Always thought the Z4 never inherited the true essence of its predecessor. Gt86 platform with BMW motor and suspension tuning..could be good competition for the Cayman.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
rand007
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe

BTW, I tested out the brake master cylinder theory on my spyder just now. There definitely is some motion across the firewall when you slam on the brakes. Not as much as with the BRZ, but there is motion, nonetheless. Perhaps there is something to these master cylinder braces...
In the way back days of my Nissan 300zx TT, this was a thing lots of guys added. I installed one and it did improve the brake feel quite a bit on that car.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

My hesitation on getting a master cylinder brace is causing possible damage to the actual master cylinder as a result of using the brace... I don't think anyone makes a master cylinder brace for our boxsters/caymans.

In anycase, I switched the fluids in the BRZ to RBF600 and swapped to project mu club racer pads today in preparation for my track day at Laguna next week. The pedal is rock solid. I'm leaving it alone. I'm still bitter that the spyder's pedal doesn't feel the same...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
rmb221
5th Gear

Agree, the color is great. Looks like a fun and sporty car you can mess around in while you are saving up for the real Porsche.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, sounds as though you and I went through a "Killer EVO" $$$$$-fest.

I was at 520 on pump and almost 600 on race gas at the wheels. It was a great 1/4 miler and could scare the daylights out of passengers and Ferraris on the tollway. But it was a maintenance master and always needed something. At the track it would overheat after a few laps on a hot day.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Yup. Sometimes we need to learn the hard way. That's exactly what happened. I never knew you had an Evo!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Ortho, I think we might have been separated at birth.

I still own my Evo X MR (2008), which used to be my track car. (I think I remember seeing you on various Evo forums) It's now my DD and kid-hauler. Still love the car. I owned another Evo 9 MR in there as well, but sold it a while back.

Now I have a Boxster Spyder. Love it. Perfect complement to the Evo. And, quite a different car (better in all respects) from my previous C5 Z06.

Sometimes, though, I think about replacing the Evo with a BRZ...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

It's funny how many people who now own Porsches have owned or still own an Evo. I had to ditch the Evo because I couldn't stop it from overheating at the track, and I had modified it so much that it wasn't the best daily driver. Fuel starvation, tranny overheat, coolant overheat, and brake overheat were just too many things that I could never truly get under control. I can see how a relatively stock Evo X MR would still make a good DD/family car.

That being said, I don't miss the Evo one bit. The BRZ is fantastic.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

have you ever considered an evo 9 MR.......?

my bro just bought a tired 70,000 mile but unmodified example.... he's renewed all the suspension bits and I think he's in love with it........ doesn't even drive his leguna Seca mustang or his GTr anymore.....lol.. I can barely get him to warm the spyder up once a month.....
Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by khooni
have you ever considered an evo 9 MR.......?

my bro just bought a tired 70,000 mile but unmodified example.... he's renewed all the suspension bits and I think he's in love with it........ doesn't even drive his leguna Seca mustang or his GTr anymore.....lol.. I can barely get him to warm the spyder up once a month.....
Yep. I used to have an Evo 9 MR (in conjunction with my Evo X MR; what can I say, I had an Evo addiction for a while).

Bone stock, only one previous owner. Great car. In the end, I couldn't justify having two Evos, and I preferred the X over the IX, both on the road and on the track. Sold the 9 for more than I paid for it.

Quick Reply: BRZ vs. Spyder??