Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

BRZ vs. Spyder??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Love the Titanium exhaust, that should have been standard on the Spyder and CR's. Still bothers me that Porsche didn't do it.

The engine, I bet it's a jewel! I really never felt like the Spyder was underpowered but I must admit that more torque down low would be nice.

So khooni you never followed up on the aligment of your Spyder, was it off or not? Also did changing the alignment change the steering feel?
Afshin,

I haven't been able to get it aligned yet but will do so before the track season kicks off late Feb. As you know, I have been complaining of weightier controls on the spyder compared to the CR. Let's see if an alignment check addresses that issue for me and I will duly report back.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Congratulations, khoon, and welcome to RS ownership!

Was it the brake pedal that decided it for you?

Thanks.

I still think that for a road car that is predominantly driven at 7/10s, the CR is perfect and better than the RS. At least in the US, you don't get gawked at or worse, being associated with having a penile issue. The steering/standard brakes/suspension/power is perfect for our roads and is IMO the true definition of a sports car. I just wished that I wasn't in that much of a hurry to sell and could properly introduce one of my friends to such a wonderful car. It was not meant to be. In summary, as a daily road car, the deal would never have got done.

However, i use my cars mainly on track and getting there. I don't have the space nor inclination to trailer cars so my road mileage is predominantly limited to getting to the track. That eliminates much of the "big wing"/"small ****" issue. I would have preferred a smaller wing if downforce wasn't compromised. AS it is, that bloody wing is monstrous in person. As a race/track car, I'm afraid the brakes of the CR fall short (I admit defeat), as the pedal travel gets longer, confidence drops and whilst heel toe is not an issue at any point for me on the CR, what was it's greatest asset becomes a bit of a liability. The PPCBs in my spyder doesn't have that problem and I'm happy enough with it. Fact is on PS2s, I think the PCCBs are just fine for what it is. I will prolly upgrade to MPSS when the N version is announced and who knows how long that's gonna take.

Coupled with the fact that it now financially makes sense, me being 40 and the last of the mezgers (plus a big punt that GT3/RSs will no longer be manual), I went for the RS. There is also a nagging feeling that the price discrepancy between the new Gt3 will be quite wrong way for me. As it is, many minted owners of RSs have been unsuccessfully trying to offload their RSs in preparation for the new Gt3 at high prices and are now throwing in the towel because they fear that once the car is announced there will be a big drop in RS prices or big supply. Hence it is possible to secure a nice, low mileage, original paint example (with all the lovely patina of some road chips in the front bumper) for very reasonable money compared with 3 months ago. As it is, a blue car is rare, and most have gone with grey black and white. Grey black is IMO a particular soft paint and prone to lots of chips while white is... I have got a white one already.....

In a way it is trying to justify the purchase that it is a sound investment, but there is no arguing that I have just spent another wad of my hard earned on my dream car. This is becoming a serious problem as my wife will attest.

In the coming months, I 'll post about how I get on with the car but not before the spyder goes for an alignment.... oh and the harnesses get installed next week for the RS

Lastly but not least, sorry Joe for hijacking your thread but I didn't want to start a new post and only wanted to share this with a few like-minded folks whom I know will be reading your posts... Apologies.

Nick

Last edited by khooni; 01-27-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typos..and a few errors
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"At least in the UK, you don't get gawked at or worse, being associated with having a penile issue". I don't let this tired old accusation bother me one bit. Anyone who owns a **** will tell you the size is not nearly as important as the appointment book. A big **** that sits idle is like a ten year old Porsche with five hundred miles on it, what's the point of ownership?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
"At least in the UK, you don't get gawked at or worse, being associated with having a penile issue". I don't let this tired old accusation bother me one bit. Anyone who owns a **** will tell you the size is not nearly as important as the appointment book. A big **** that sits idle is like a ten year old Porsche with five hundred miles on it, what's the point of ownership?
sorry i meant, at least in the US.. in the UK, you definitely get associated with having manhood issues
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by khooni
sorry i meant, at least in the US.. in the UK, you definitely get associated with having manhood issues
No doubt but why give it any thought? I have divorced acquaintances who are jealous that I have the money to own a Porsche, again that isn't my problem. I didn't tell you to marry a bank account draining witch, you made that decision without me, too bad so sad. Furthermore, I began working at age 7, people will forever jump to wrong conclusions, especially in the internet age, have to keep them all at arms length, to thy own self be true, ya know....
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thread jack away, I'm cool with it. Congrats again! I hope to have the same combo someday.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thread jack away, I'm cool with it. Congrats again! I hope to have the same combo someday.

Sorry, the content veered off topic, frankly though it's not a big effing deal is it?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
frankly though it's not a big effing deal is it?
Uhhh.. no, it's not a big 'effing deal'. It's fine. I just said it was in cool in my post that you quoted.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

khooni forgets that there were a fair few smiles, waves and friendly gestures during the 160 miles drive back to London. in fact, many more than negatives gestures, looks etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sfo
khooni forgets that there were a fair few smiles, waves and friendly gestures during the 160 miles drive back to London. in fact, many more than negatives gestures, looks etc.
Yikes. I didn't realize it was worse in Europe than the US....
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sfo
TBH, it was a case of focusing on the negatives.. I do admit there were instances of thumbs up too. There was a particular case of a ford focus with a full load of passengers and the driver was pretending to be racing me.... did give SFO and I a few chuckles.

took the spyder for a quick drive today. It's like an old friend... so accessible, so giving. It'll be a while before I bond in the same way with the GT3.

A funny thing happened when I went to my local car wash today. My usual guy asked if I bought a big wing........... and I said yes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok. now the impt bits. my drive home mainly consisted of highways. Weighting/feel on the steering wheel is par with the CR. I mean get this.... the CR has as good steering as the RS.
come back and tell us when you have driven the RS on roads other than highways how the steering compares with the R ..

your view on RS steering is thus far based on very limited exposure to its talents.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't worry, khooni, you definitely hear it over here too (US).
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

Great thread Joe. Thanks for posting up. I'm seriously considering the same car after my current DD heads back to it's maker. My only concern is whether I can be happy giving up a bit of luxury for a lot more connectedness and fun. Current mission is finding one to rent for an extended test drive.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Chris. I live local to you, so feel free to come over and take the car for a spin yourself. I personally think it has more than enough amenities to make it a great DD. Heated and comfortable seats, great navi and sound system, Bluetooth and USB audio, dual zone auto climate control, keyless start/entry, home link, etc. The only negatives for me are the power and lack of room in the back. It's tight back there, but I have managed to squeeze my family of 4 in the car, and nobody complained. I've gotten used to the lack of torque, and it's really not an issue for me, particularly as a DD. That being said, I am also going to try the car out at the track. We could always meet up at a track event too. I'll be at Laguna Seca on March 2nd with the BRZ.

Last edited by orthojoe; 01-29-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: BRZ vs. Spyder??