Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New Member: '08 RS-60 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New Member: '08 RS-60 Spyder

Test drove and bought it a week ago in Houston, at Momentum Porsche. Was delivered to my home this past Wednesday nite around 9:30. Its been raining since it got here, waiting for the streets to dry and take it out for the first spin.

Does anyone know what the breakdown of the 1960 (800 to the US) that were built relative to the number of Tiptronic or manual transmissions were, or where that info can be found?

I find it a little odd that Porsche did not put any label or badging on the exterior to indicate the RS-60 Spyder model. Were there any options available that would have added something like that ?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a label on the driver's door jamb saying it's safe to drive in the rain.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Welcome to the RS 60 Spyder club! Just last month I bought one as well #1858 and I couldn't be happier with it. I love the specification of the car and the fact that it's go so many neat Porsche features like PASM, Sport Exhaust, sport seats and full leather to name a few.

The 800 stateside is a number that I've also used but I don't know of the exact number that ultimately made it here. I don't know what the breakdown is of Tip to 6 speed but we've had maybe a half dozen or more come in off lease and if I had to guess based on what I've seen here and in my shop I'd say there are more Tip's than manuals. I'd also say that the ratio of Carrera Red Leather to Natural Grey is about 4 to 1 in favor of the Red if not more.

If I knew who to ask for a breakdown I would gladly do it but most people look at me like I'm crazy when I start asking those questions but I too would like to know now that I own one.

Are there any modifications that you're planning? So far I've added PCM in place of the CDR-24, changed wheels for ones with a more aggressive offset, swapped out the Boxster side intakes for those from a Cayman and I've now been through 3 different shifters in an attempt to replicate the rifle bolt action and throw of the 997 GT3. After all the experimentation I think the stock shifter actually is pretty good but I've installed a GT3 shifter with steel bushings which was nice but kept the same throw and currently I have the factory short shifter which has a nice short throw but doesn't have the feel that i'm after. I'm thinking of using the stock unit now as a platform to try out some of the aftermarket shifters with supposed "zero slop" but I'm not sure I want to pull yet another shifter to experiment. The good news is that I can now pull apart the center console and replace the shifter and button it all back together within 45 minutes.

The next upgrade is to lower the car and as soon as I have the money to invest in some Bilstein Damptronics I'll be all over those and then I can drop the car and get rid of the still somewhat excessive gap between the fenders and tires.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cabriolet
there is a label on the driver's door jamb saying it's safe to drive in the rain.
+1
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Congrats guys.........but where are the pics?

Ryan - How was the PCM swap? I think we were chatting about that a while back. I just added PCM and XM, loving it!

- Ric
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts
Default RS60 and IMS failures

Just curious - with so much discussion on this site and others surrounding IMS failures up to and including 2008 model year cars, how do other RS60 owners feel? Vulnerable? Not worried? Other?

DaveGee
Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Just curious - with so much discussion on this site and others surrounding IMS failures up to and including 2008 model year cars, how do other RS60 owners feel? Vulnerable? Not worried? Other?
2006-2008 cars have updated IMS bearings. 2008 cars got 2nd updates. Extremely rare to get IMS failures in these cars. 2005 Boxsters were crapshoots; some had updated IMS bearings while others didn't.

Having said all that, last Friday night I got a 2011 Boxster Spyder - but unrelated to IMS issue.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SuncoastParts
Congrats guys.........but where are the pics?

Ryan - How was the PCM swap? I think we were chatting about that a while back. I just added PCM and XM, loving it!

- Ric
REALLY EASY!

It was basically plug and play with my BOSE car. The only holdup I had was finding a wrench to fit the small hex head screw that mounts to the passenger side of the PCM.

Once the CDR-24 was loose it just slid right out, I removed the 3 or 4 connectors and plugged in the PCM and it worked straight away.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:10 PM
cut2music
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this made for a pretty good price...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New Member: '08 RS-60 Spyder