Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

But at least it has a black interior
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Some Unusual Exteriors & Interiors Seen At Historics in Carmel!

I have been busy for the past 10 days in Carmel which accounts for no new posting on this thread in the past week!. That is my favorite week in the calendar! This year my activities included the following:

1) Pre-Historics at Laguna Seca on Sunday!
2) Garage Style Magazine's 'Garage Tour' on Monday!
3) Carmel's 'Concours on the Avenue' on Tuesday!
Automobilia Monterey on Tuesday & Wednesday! (http://automobiliamonterey.com/)
4) Micro-Car Show in Pacific Grove on Wednesday noon!
Gordon McCall's Jet Center Party on Wednesday night!
5) Test Driving - Porsche Zentrum in Quail Lodge on Thursday!
Pebble Beach Concours Entrants Rallye - Lunch Stop in Carmel's Ocean Avenue!
6) 'Legends of the Autobahn' Concours in La Cañada Golf Club on Friday Morning!
'Concorso Italiano' near Pasadera Golf Club on Friday Afternoon!
7) Historics Racing at Laguna Seca on Saturday day!
'Carrera Panamericana Reunion' at Baja Cantina on Saturday night!
8) 'Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance' on Sunday day!
Gooding's Auction on Sunday night!

And I missed The Quail, Mecum's, RM's, Bonhams, Russo & Steele - ran out of time and money!

At both the Pre-Historics and Historics, a very unusual '09 Porsche Turbo was parked in the paddock area. It is a PTS color which the owner 'borrowed' from a Ferrari racing team he knows in Belgium. This hue is a close relative to my old '73 911's 'Signal Yellow' (although it looks almost 'orange' in photos), but more intense! The owner had the Belgians provide him the color formula and then used it to paint a sample piece which was sent to PAG. It was approved and given the 'colour code' Z10. Yellows are an extremely difficult color on any car's surface. I could tell that over time, the plastic bumpers had retain the color pretty well but the metal surfaces adjacent to it were a shade different - almost giving a translucent look. This is one of the reasons that PAG so often does not approve a customer's PTS color request. They don't want to be liable for warranty work down the road if the owner complains about fading & mis-matching panels. The interior was also 'Leather to Sample' - blue with yellow deviating stitching. As with all 'Leather to Sample' interiors, the interior's plastic pieces (speakers, defroster vents, etc) will be done in black 'soft touch' paint. The factory actually encourages you to cover all of these plastic pieces in leather to achieve a better coordinated look. This owner did not do that, but the contrast with the blue is totally acceptable!

Next photo is of a beautiful PTS 'Riviera Blue' My2006 Carrera S that was on display at 'Legends of the Autobahn' on Friday. It belongs to Rennlister 'Rolling Art' (Phil) in our forum.

Final photos are of the 'Agate Grey/Lime Gold' interior on a Boxster at the Porsche Zentrum in Quail. This is shown as available only in 'Partial Leather' on the Configurator for that model exclusively. But it's my understanding that it could be requested by special order in other models (e.g. 991) and even in a 'Full Leather' interior. As photographed at Quail, all of the Agate Grey components are in 'vinyl'. Only the 'Lime Gold' parts are real leather. 'Lime Gold' is an unusual hue and could look very interesting as an interior with other exterior colors besides 'Lime Gold' (e.g. Anthracite, Mahogany, Cognac & Agate Grey) ! This interior has been seldom ordered to date by any customer or dealer. So it was the first time I have ever seen it in person...and so perhaps by most of you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images      
Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 4

Although not yet offered on the 981, I anticipate that an option for a 'smooth-finished' leather storage compartment lid in center console with decorative stitching will be available soon.

When available, this is one option to STRONGLY consider. The reason is that the alternatives do not look as attractive.

a) Without 'full leather' interior, console lid is covered in texture vinyl.

b) 1st photo shows area as it comes with 'full leather' interior in 'Luxor Beige'. 2nd in partial leather in 'Lime Gold' (where console is covered in real leather). The console lid is covered so tightly in leather that it is often confused for a synthetic leather (e.g. vinyl) and has not stitching what-so-ever.

c) 3th & 4th photos show console in a 'full leather' interior with decorative stitching option on a 991. The stitching is really pronounced and the whole thing looks very elegant & well finished. The stitching on the lid of center console (storage) leaves no doubt the material is leather!

Unfortunately, the lid is done in texture leather on the 'Black' interior in this 991 example. I believe that it will be all done in the higher grade leather if you order this option with the natural upgraded leathers (e.g. Carrera Red). The lid on my Spyder's 'Carrera Red' looks even better (last photo, #5) due to the higher quality of the 'natural' aniline dyed leather!

This option was also not available on early orders on the 991's. I have only seen it on the 'Racing Yellow' 991 of Sascha Glaeser which he uses as a 'demonstrator'. However, it has been available to order for several months now on the PCNA configurator for the 991 and will most likely be offered on the 981 soon! At this time, this option apparently can NOT be ordered with deviating stitching on the 991. Not even the standard 'limited' colors offered for the seats, dash, door panels, etc. This restriction will change soon. Deviating stitching for all additional leather 'Porsche Exclusive' options is expected to be available later this Fall.

In the 991, the option includes the following:
Covered in smooth-finish leather in interior color with decorative stitching:
- center tunnel cover in rear
- storage compartment lid in center console

It is priced at $1,190. I expect it will be half that price on the 981 since it will not include the rear center tunnel.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images      
Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Taken off the Germany configurator, when we will see these available on the 981/911 in the US?

Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mile2424
Taken off the Germany configurator, when we will see these available on the 981/911 in the US?
As I posted today in the gt3 forum:

The 'Sport Bucket Seats' are indeed available for the 991 (and 981 too) in many markets but not yet in the US yet. These are the type that fold forward and with side airbags which first appeared in our market on the MY2008 gt2. I know someone at PAG currently working on the design of the new 918 Spyder 'sport bucket seats'. These will have the ability to be adjusted - up & down, rake angle, etc. - which the current 'sport bucket' does not. I doubt this new seat will be seen in the upcoming 991 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2, gt2 RS or Turbo S. They will want to have it exclusive for the 918 for a while before making a version for the 'lesser' models. But that is just my guess.

It would not surprise me if in a market such as Germany that PAG offers the older, simpler, lighter gt seat (no airbag, does not fold) in their upcoming 991 gt models. Since that doesn't meet DOT regulations here, we will probably not see it. Same for the 'plastic' rear windows expected in their gt versions!

The reason that the DOT approved 'Sport Bucket Seats' are not being offered here yet by PCNA in our market is a subject for debate. From personal conversations with many US dealers since they were first offered as an option in MY2009, these buckets were almost universally hated by the sales staff of these establishments! They found them a 'hard sell' and dealers universally dislike anything that makes any car not easy to push out the doors of their salesroom! The model everyone best remembered by them is the MY2009 C4S 'Launch Edition' in 'Meteor Grey'. Most of these cars came equipped with 'Sport Buckets' and many sat there well pass when MY2010 cars arrived at the P-dealers. They were forced to heavily discount them in order to move them out. It left a very bad taste in most dealer's mouths. Subsequently, PCNA mostly only offered the 'Sport Bucket Seats' on their 'sportiest' of US models - the gt's, GTS, Spyders and Cayman R's. When you study for example (as I have) the way dealers ordered their Boxster Spyders vs how customers custom-ordered theirs, you will find that the overwhelming number of Spyders with 'Sport Leather Seats' got those because that is what dealers ordered for their inventory, not the 'Sport Buckets' which the enthusiasts raved about! In general, dealers wanted to hedge their bets and go with 'comfort' above all else to make them easier to sell...or so they thought!

In my opinion, the reason PCNA has not allowed 'sport bucket seats' to be offered here yet is that their US dealer base has NOT asked for them and does NOT want them in regular production models like the 991 & 981. And not enough of you, the sport enthusiast customer, has demanded that they be offered! PCNA will allow the 'sport buckets' to be standard on the gt3's when they arrive, with 'Sport Plus' seats as an option. But unless an aggressive campaign is mounted by the rank & file enthusiast from forum sites such as this one, PCNA will limit our seat options on the regular 991/981 to please their dealer base! Remember that leasing is a big part of how cars are sold today. So dealers will have to deal with the consequences of having 'sport buckets' on a Porsche for sale for years to come ONCE the importer/distributor (PCNA) allows these bucket seats to be ordered by customers and into the pool of cars they sell, trade, re-sell, etc. It is a short sighted position...but it will not change until they are forced to do some by DEMAND from the US customers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 5

Porsche added a few weeks ago option 'XNS' to their PCNA configurator. It is called 'Steering column casing in leather', Option # XNS, for $465. I think this option is very important and I will explain to you why. Without this option, all colored interiors in your 991/981 other than 'Black' will not be as well coordinated since it will come with a dual-tone steering wheel as 'standard'. In the 991/981, the front of the steering wheel is now color coordinated to the interior color (e.g. Luxor Beige, Yachting Blue, Platinum Grey, Carrera Red) and the back of the steering wheel is done in 'black' to coordinate with the adjacent steering column casing done standard in 'Black' plastic. See the first 3 photos below to see what I am talking about!

The steering wheels in the 997/987 models were not as awkward because Porsche did not color-coordinate the front of those steering wheels! For example, in early MY2011, the standard steering wheel was painted a shade of silver and only the leather rim was colored coordinated to your interior. In late MY2011 & MY2012, the standard steering wheel now came painted in 'black' and the leather rim was still colored to your interior (see photo #4), which was an nice look!

With the new 991/981, the standard steering wheel's front is now painted to match your interior, in addition to having the leather rim in that color too! If you order Option 'XNS', Porsche provides you with a beautiful leather casing with stitching so that your steering column can color match your interior's leather color. But that is NOT ALL. It also eliminates the 'black' rear part of your steering wheel since that apparently is also coordinated to the color of your interior and the adjacent leather-covered 'steering column' (see attachment #5 from the configurator in Luxor Beige)! Photo #6 lets you contrast the previous attachment to a 'Luxor Beige' Full leather interior without this 'XNS' leather casing option so you will see in the standard black plastic!

This 'XNS' option is brand new on the 991/981 and I have not seen or yet photographed any cars done with this option. However, I did ordered 'Steering Column Casing in Leather' on my 'Carrera Red' MY2012 Spyder and that is what you will see in the last photo (#7). It is absolutely stunning!

For those ordering a 'Black' or any of the Dual-Tone/BiColor interiors, this 'XNS' option is interesting & beautiful but not necessary! But for anyone that orders the lighter/brighter color interiors like 'Luxor Beige', 'Yachting Blue' or 'Carrera Red', this option is highly recommended in order for you to achieve a blended & more color consistent look in your 991/981 interior! You will also love it simply for the great looking leather & stitching, which is very pronounced! Finally, it's also one of the least expensive 'Porsche Exclusive' leather options that Porsche offers...so take advantage of it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images        
Old 08-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Eduardo,
That is upsetting news. I've been considering a 991 to replace my M3 next year and have been waiting for those seats as an option. I can understand why cars equipped this the sport bucket seats might be a harder sell, but why couldn't one order a car with those seats? I have the sports buckets in my Spyder and really like them. Hope Porsche reconsiders the availability for the US market.

Last edited by Jon70; 08-26-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jon70
Eduardo,
That is upsetting news. I've been considering a 991 to replace my M3 next year and have been waiting for those seats as an option. I can understand why cars equipped this the sport bucket seats might be a harder sell, but why couldn't one order a car with those seats? I have the sports buckets in my Spyder and really like them. Hope Porsche reconsiders the availability for the US market.
Jon, there is a chance that if customers here in the US make a big fuss about it, PCNA will be forced to shove it down the dealer's unwilling throats. It will be easier by then since the gt3 is expected to me released in 2013 and they will have those seats available for that model. But unless the enthusiast base here in North America makes their wishes known, I don't think much will happen! I hope I am wrong!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 AM
shine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to my dealer today about ordering a PTS car. He tells me that presently he has several PTS cars in the order bank which have been on hold for up to 10 months. We is not optimistic about the PTS window opening up anytime soon.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shine
I spoke to my dealer today about ordering a PTS car. He tells me that presently he has several PTS cars in the order bank which have been on hold for up to 10 months. We is not optimistic about the PTS window opening up anytime soon.
Shine: That is not the information I have. The PTS window is currently open on MY2013 991s & 981s. Perhaps the colors selected by your dealer's customers have NOT yet been been approved by PAG! Or maybe PAG is waiting to do certain PTS orders in batches at one time (re: painting procedures). That has happened before (e.g. with '12 Spyders). But your dealer should be informed of all of that by PCNA & PAG. Did you talked with the General Manager?

PTS is offered currently in the PCNA configurator. There is a list of PTS colors already approved by PAG that I posted here on 8/07/12. That list came from PCNA directly. If any of those approved colors on that list are selected, the possibility of getting your PTS 991, 981 or Panamera ups dramatically before the real PTS deadline is announced (which I expect it to be later this Fall)!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM
shine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eduardo,

Yes, I am speaking with the general manager. He expressed greatest frustration of getting 991 in Yachting Blue. He has been told the problem is getting the bumpers painted by an outside vendor.

Joel
Old 08-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by shine
Eduardo,

Yes, I am speaking with the general manager. He expressed greatest frustration of getting 991 in Yachting Blue. He has been told the problem is getting the bumpers painted by an outside vendor.

Joel
That is certainly bad news. As all can see on the 8/07/12 PTS list I posted, 'Yachting Blue Metallic' (M5S) is on that approved list! So if they are having issues matching the bumpers with that particular color, PAG will probably not do it to avoid warranty issues down the line. Hope that is not the same for the other colors they have already 'pre-approved', e.g. Riviera Blue!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 6

There was one leather option on the 997/981 which I loved. It was called 'Defroster Trim in Leather', Option #XV1 and it cost only $535. It finished up in leather the portion of the dash normally done in plastic even on the 'Full Leather' interiors! It also provided a wonderful stitching line at the base of the windshield (which was very visible) and covered the central dash speaker with leather and stitching. It was a great deal for $535 and I ordered it on my '12 Spyder! See first attached photo shows the dash of my '12 Spyder.

In the 981, I don't see yet an option that will do what Option # XV1 did for the 987. In the 991, we get to do an option for the defroster trim & side vents in leather BUT we don't get a bargain anymore! It costs $1710. It is option # CZW. This option was a delayed availability at the start of 991 production but it's now offered on the configurator (see representation attached, #2 for the 991). It is called the 'Additional Interior Package, Dashboard in Leather'. It is described as follows in the configurator:

Covered in smooth-finish leather in interior color and partly with decorative stitching:
- dashboard end trim
- defroster trim

The only thing remotely similar to #CZW on the 981 is Option # CZV 'Air vent slats in leather' for $1,190 (see representation attached, #3 for the 981). This option is described in the configurator as:

Covered in smooth-finish leather in interior color:
- side air vent slats
- center air vent slats

However, I don't believe this option provides any stitching around the vents. As a result, it will be difficult to notice the tightly covered smooth-finished leather from the standard 'soft touch' plastic on the vents!

I still wish there would be a future 981 option similar to the old #XV1 which covers the defroster trim near the windshield and provides a visible stitching. As you can see from last photo attached, there is still a lot of plastic on a 981 'Full Leather Interior' dash (look at the defroster trim near the windshield) that could benefit from being covered in leather and with beautiful stitching! Some people think that given that the stitching on the 981 goes up & down and not sideways as in the 991, they are not hopeful Porsche will provide it. But I think differently. We had the same on the 987 and we still got option XV1!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images     
Old 08-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default New Sport Chassis coming for the 981S!

Forum member 'sfo' in England has alerted us to a recent article just published at PistonHeads in Britain. I think this is a significant development because the key to our beloved 987 Spyder is both the lighter weight and the NON-PASM based 'sport chassis'. This new 981 option might be the closest (to date) we get to make the new 981S feel & handle like the acclaimed Spyder! To my knowledge, PCNA has not yet talked about this upcoming option. But I believe you should all know about its existence and make your 981 purchase decisions accordingly!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Friday 24th August

DRIVEN: PORSCHE BOXSTER SPORTS CHASSIS
A quick blast in new hardcore chassis option for Boxster S

For all that puff about high-tech ‘chassis control systems’ presented to us last week by Porsche. it’s interesting to note that for the new Sports Chassis option coming on the Boxster it reverts to passive dampers, rather than PASM.

Faster and with more feedback on trackThe German engineering team helping us navigate the technology brought this Sports Chassis equipped Boxster S to Silverstone too, providing an interesting comparison twixt the high-tech approach with active dampers and the more traditional ‘ramp up the rates and off you go’ Sports Chassis.

As you’ll have seen from a previous blog, getting to the bottom of why passive dampers are considered better for a more focused set-up wasn’t an easy task, this being somewhat contrary to the party line that tech – with a supporting cast of acronyms behind it – is best. Indeed, in some ways this and the basic, no frills (relative) Carrera 2 were the elephants in the room, both proving in their own and very different ways how good Porsches stripped of all the electronic gubbins and tuned with good, old-fashioned engineering know-how can be.

Harder, faster ... better?
The Sports Chassis will be available from later in the year and although the hardware is apparently more straightforward than the PASM option we were told the price will be more or less comparable with the active dampers, which add £971 to the price of a Boxster S. The implication seemed to be that the Sports Chassis would only be available on the S too.

Stiffer rear axle dials out understeerYou can check the numbers in the comparison table below, which details the changes brought by the Sports Chassis over both the standard and PASM options. And, on the face of it, it’s a significantly firmer set-up, not least in rear anti-roll which is 46 per cent stiffer than standard. Even the PASM chassis is only 10 per cent stiffer and this and significantly harder rear spring rates would suggest Porsche is dialling out some of the stock setting’s understeer to create a sharper, more incisive turn-in and generally pointier character.

Strictly hardcore

And, guess what, that’s exactly what it does. True, we didn’t get a chance to try it on the road so – unfortunately - can’t comment right now on whether it’s a step too far for that default bumpy B-road. But on the smooth surfaces of Silverstone’s National loop the additional front-end is really noticeable, in both slower, tighter corners like the Luffield complex and higher-speed ones like Copse. An ambitious turn-in to either in the standard S induces obvious understeer that you just have to offset with a slower entry or sit out until you can pour in more power.

PASM is the more all-round choiceBut the Sport Chassis means the front end turns in with much more aggression and bite and you can get on the power sooner and harder. Transfer that to the road and though you’ll be trading a bit of comfort you’d have to hope that would also mean a bit more seat of the pants feel and less of the slightly inert, aloof detachment of the standard car, at least at vaguely sensible speeds. Higher limits on the track and a bit more feel and feedback on the road? Sounds like just the ticket if you want your Boxster a little sharper and akin to the Spyder/Cayman R in the previous models.
Credit to Porsche for offering us the choice though. And if you want your Boxster as an all-rounder then PASM makes a lot of sense. If, however, you want something a bit sharper and intuitive, well, you can have that instead. Horses for courses and all that.

A PASM-equipped Boxster......and one with the new Sport Suspension

PASM Sports Chassis
Front axle height -10mm -20mm
Rear axle height -10mm -20mm
Spring rate front +12% +20%
Spring rate rear +15% +25%
Anti-roll bar front +12% +22%
Anti-roll bar rear +10% +46%
Dampers PASM 'Sport Set-up' (passive)

Note: all values compared with standard, non-PASM suspension

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/roadtes...p?c=47&i=26243
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 7

A) Two Tone Interiors: Someone from 'Porsche Exclusive' mentioned to me two weeks ago (at the temporary Porsche Zentrum set up at Quail Lodge) that Porsche is about to allow an expanded selection of Bi-Color interiors on their 991 model. I sincerely hope they will allow them also for the 981 but I am not yet certain of that.

In the 991, they will allow a 'Black/Carrera Red' interior combination for which there is some demand. Currently, that is not easy to do well on the 991, other than the two standard Bi-Color offerings of 'Agate/Pebble Grey' and 'Black/Platinum Grey'. Up to now, a nightmare scenario may occur when folks order a deviating color dash and top of the door trims other than the standard Bi-Colors offerings! Take a look at the attached photo of a 991 Cabriolet with a 'Luxor Beige' interior and deviating leather dash & upper door trims in 'Black' leather. The current ordering system inexplicably allows all the soft-touch plastic parts in the interior to remain 'Luxor Beige', not 'Black' at the appropriate places in the dash (vents/speakers), rear cab shelf area and circular plug on door trim. The results is a visual mismatch of epic proportions!

I feel quite bad for the unsuspecting owner who ordered this cab with high expectations of a beautiful two-tone interior! It also shows that anyone must be careful in what you order from Porsche. PAG will build it as requested by your dealer in the computer order guides, even when it looks like a terrible thing (as in this case). There is no second guessing the customer or a friendly email to dealer asking someone to please reconsider! If that is what you order, we will build it, Jawohl! That is in part why I am doing my threads on Rennlist. So that our forum members know how important it's to pay attention to all details in your order and choose wisely from the multiple options offered by 'Porsche Exclusive'!

B) The new ordering system will soon allow the subcontractors to supply the production line with color coordinated 'soft touch' parts when a customer makes a request for a custom Bi-Color interior. In the case of the Cabriolet in the attached photo, all the areas surrounding the 'Black' leather dash will be done in soft-touch painted in 'Black'. Same for the other trim pieces in the rear of the cabin. It's really a small change in their order guides which really should have been allowed from day one so that the owner of this 'Luxor Beige' 991 cab should not have had to experienced this abomination!

C) I would still want to know how they will coordinate the Alcantara on a Cayman or 991 coupe in the case of a Bi-Color customized interior. For example, if you order a full 'Luxor Beige' interior, the headliner and A & B pillars are done in 'Luxor Beige' Alcantara. Will they changed this to 'Black' or 'Charcoal' Alcantara if you order 'Black/Luxor Beige'? Or 'Agate' Alcantara when you chose 'Agate/Luxor Beige'? I would think so.

D) The impetus for all of this change (in my opinion) comes from the complaint of many that the lighter color interiors allow the dash to reflect on the raked windshield and obstruct vision! So PAG is trying to remedy this objection by offering consumers a choice. Personally, I also think it looks quite attractive. I expect to see quite a few 'Black/Carrera Red', 'Black/Luxor Beige' and 'Agate/Luxor Beige' interiors in all models where this customized Bi-Color interiors will be offered!

E) 'Natural Brown' leather is not offered today on any 981 or 991 models. 'Natural Brown' was one of my all time favorite interiors ever offered by Porsche. So far they have not even allow that color interior to be ordered in 'Leather to Sample' on the 991! I will talk about what I know about 'Leather to Sample' in some future post. But there is a new interior combination which is 1) surprisingly attractive, 2) is part of this brown family and 3) is ALREADY offered as a Bi-Color, or Two Tone interior, on the 981! That Bi-color is 'Agate/Amber Orange'. I talked about this on an earlier post on this thread. Don't let the name turn you off. Or the un-natural representation of the color on the Configurator. Take a look at the first actual photos I have see on a 981 with this interior just posted by new owner Michael 14 in Planet 9 (photos 2, 3 & 4). It's very attractive! I also think Porsche is experimenting with it on the Boxster. If it's well received by the critics and customers, it will too be offered on the upcoming Cayman and on the 991!

Right now it's only available on the new Boxster. But it could easily be expanded to the other models! The hold up is the obvious lack of corresponding 'Amber Orange' plastic parts & the coordinated 'Alcantara' color needed for other model's interiors. These parts are not currently needed for the Boxster for obvious reasons BUT will indeed be at hand when they start ordering 'Amber Orange' coordinated plastic & alcantara parts for the upcoming Cayman model, which will likely be offered with this attractive Bi-Color interior too! The Cayman will be introduced at the LA Auto Show this fall - 2012! Otherwise, PAG has all the other 'Amber-Orange' elements ready to go - the colored carpet, the corresponding airbag covers on the sides of the 'Amber Orange' leather seats (more important that many of you think, but we will discuss this on another day!) & matching deviating stitching color thread for the 'Agate' dash & door trims! In summary, we probably will soon see this color interior added to even the 991!

This 'Amber Orange' leather color has some of the visual qualities of 'Natural Brown'. Paired with the 'Agate Grey' dash, door trim and steering wheel, this interior is simply stunning! In combination with 'Agate Grey' exterior, or the standard browns and blacks offered, it will be very attractive! It will also go well with some unique PTS exterior colors you might be able to order. Let your imagination run wild! I am still a big fan of the old 'Natural Brown' offered on the .2 997. But as Stephen Stills wrote in his 1970 hit song: "If you can't be with the one you love...love the one you're with". I think I am falling in love with 'Agate/Amber Orange'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images     

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!