Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 'The Top Cars of Porsche Custom'

This digital article just came out and features at least two cars owned by Rennlist members in this forum. The article is entitled 'The Top Cars of Porsche Custom' and is found on a digital magazine called 'Life and Times'. It highlights the job that Sascha Glaeser (Manager, Customer Consultation) is doing with 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States. Take a look:

http://lifeandtimes.com/the-top-cars-of-porsche-custom

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel, CA
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
This digital article just came out and features at least two cars owned by Rennlist members in this forum. The article is entitled 'The Top Cars of Porsche Custom' and is found on a digital magazine called 'Life and Times'. It highlights the job that Sascha Glaeser (Manager, Customer Consultation) is doing with 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States. Take a look:

http://lifeandtimes.com/the-top-cars-of-porsche-custom

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel, CA
I would love to have that job. I keep thinking about how I could apply my love for cars, sales experience and technical knowledge into this job and how much fun it would be. Yeah I know, I'm nuts for thinking it but I think it would be incredibly fun to work with customers and come up with interesting combinations.

Eduardo, did Sascha assist you when you ordered your Spyder?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Eduardo, did Sascha assist you when you ordered your Spyder?
Yes, he did. But not in the way most would have thought! I already knew what I wanted to do with my Spyder order...but in some cases, the order guides at PAG computers wouldn't allow it to be ordered the way I wanted it! That is where Sascha came it. He told me what they might be able to do via something called 'customization packages', with options just done for your particular car although not offered normally in series production! Sascha then acted as an intermediary between me and 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany to see what could be done and at what price they would be able to do it! I explain all of this in full detail in Post #70 in my page 5 of 'Tale of a Custom Order' (see link below) and will try to do the same on this thread before I am finished!

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...m-order-5.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Latest PTS List from PCNA Dated 8/07/12

This is the latest 'Paint to Sample' List from PCNA issued today. It is an update to the one I last posted here on my thread in late July, dated 6/04/12 (post #1). I will compare it to that one later today to see if there are any changes. But I thought I would posted right away to give everyone a head start!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images
Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Seeing that list makes me wish I could order my Spyder all over again. I really wanted Aquamarine Metallic Oh well....

Last edited by Marine Blue; 08-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Seeing that list makes me wish I could order my Spyder all over again. I really wanted Aquamarine Metallic Oh well....
Afshin, if it makes you feel better it looks like Aquamarine Blue Metallic is checked off as "Not feasible". Aquamarine is checked as "feasibility study necessary".
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default As anticipated, some new options appeared a few days ago in the PCNA Configutaror!

As foreseen in my 7/31/12 post on this thread, PCNA has added these options this week to the 981:

1) Steering column casing in leather, Option #XNS for $465 (same # & cost as for 991).

2) Rear-view mirror in leather, Option #CVW for $675 (same # & cost as for 991).
a) Must be ordered with Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor Option # P13 for $690
or pkg that has P13.

Interestingly, the 981 is not yet allowed to order this deviating stitching option as just announced for the 991 as I talked about in my 7/31/12 post:

Deviating stitching in steering wheel rim. Note: stitching available in Silver, Racing Yellow, Guards Red, Black, White, Platinum Grey, Pebble Grey, Cream, Yachting Blue, Luxor Beige, Espresso., Umber, Aqua Blue, Peridot, Amber Orange, Agate Grey, Limegold, Cognac, Carrera Red. For multifunction steering wheel (order no. 844) only available in conjunction with PDK (order no. 250)
Cost is $1,025 Option # CLU.

a) Not available on standard wheel!
b) Available only by adding 'Sport Design Wheel', Option #840 for $250',
Or Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Option #844 for $615 (but only PDK).
I predict this option will be allowed on the 981 very soon!

The other options I mentioned in my earlier post (e.g. Illuminated Sill Guards, Adaptive Cruise Control) should appear shortly! I don't expect dealers to ask PCNA to allow 'Sport Bucket Seats' in regular 981's until AFTER the gt3's are released or even further out, after next Spyder/CaymanR...but that is my personal reading of what US dealers 'want/not want', but I hope I am wrong!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default deviating stitching

What is the diff. btwn. cream & Luxor beige stitching & which would look better

with the Expresso leather interior?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TTLATION
What is the diff. btwn. cream & Luxor beige stitching & which would look better with the Expresso leather interior?
TT: I can't tell from the photo I took of the 'board' of possible deviating stitching colors! But the attached photo shows 'Sand Beige' stitching on Black, which was a Bicolor offered briefly on the .2 997! This might give you an idea of what 'Luxor Beige' might look like, but it's not 100% the same.

You can perhaps ask your 'Porsche Exclusive' consultant for Canada. Is that also the two folks that are based in Los Angeles and NYC? Or do you guys have your own serving just Canada?

I will be describing all I know about 'deviating stitching' in a future post on this thread, so keep tuned!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I skimmed the PTS list, and I noticed there are a few BMW colors. I bet if you look at it closely, there are other manufacturers as well.

However, I probably would not want to paint my Porsche with a BMW paint code or any paint that orinate from a mainstream, mass produced manufacturer. I say BMW is best, not from a standpoint of quality or ability. BMW's factories, in general, are faster to adapt with the newest cutting edge processes. In terms of water usage, waste management, regenerative resources, etc. Way more complicated than I can understand.

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufact...ss/paint-shop/

And I bet each automaker has their own set of facility management. Curing time could be different, robots are different, temperature, moisture, paint brushes, who knows? From what I know, every PTS color has to be submitted for approval. Mostly for a technical descision, not marketing or design decision. Even so, I would worry that it comes out a shade too dark, too purple or worse.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I skimmed the PTS list, and I noticed there are a few BMW colors. I bet if you look at it closely, there are other manufacturers as well.

However, I probably would not want to paint my Porsche with a BMW paint code or any paint that orinate from a mainstream, mass produced manufacturer. I say BMW is best, not from a standpoint of quality or ability. BMW's factories, in general, are faster to adapt with the newest cutting edge processes. In terms of water usage, waste management, regenerative resources, etc. Way more complicated than I can understand.

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/manufact...ss/paint-shop/

And I bet each automaker has their own set of facility management. Curing time could be different, robots are different, temperature, moisture, paint brushes, who knows? From what I know, every PTS color has to be submitted for approval. Mostly for a technical descision, not marketing or design decision. Even so, I would worry that it comes out a shade too dark, too purple or worse.
Clinton. Porsche is not deciding what colors are going to be investigated for possible PTS - individual customers do with a firm order for a $5,500 option on a 991, 981 or Panamera! If you see too many BMW or Ferrari colors on that PCNA list I posted, the reason is that there are paying customers out there somewhere in the world that liked these particular BMW or Ferrari colors and have asked Porsche to do a vehicle FOR THEM in that hue! As long as you understand that, I will sit back and hear what you have to say about BMW colors, robots, moisture and all the rest! It is all good 'stuff' & very informative!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand how they compile that list. But what I am trying to say is - I am not sure if I trust Porsche painting another manufacturer's color, especially a modern metallic. I am doubting Porsche, the same way I would doubt one bodyshop matching another bodyshop's work. If It is a color that Porsche has done it a thousand times, by all means. And I am sure historic colors are different. But modern automotive painting process/paint matching is complicated enough, we've all heard horror stories.

I am not trying to deter anyone who is thinking of PTS. My Spyder was ordered the week before PTS opened up, I could have gone that route.

I just don't want some poor schmuck who read this thread and thinking " Heck yeah, I'll match my 981 to my Phoenix Yellow BMW M3, easy enough, it's on the list, must be flawless" Some other dude in a different part of the world might have done it. But all I am saying, the result might not be the same. How would Porsche know what Phoenix Yellow suppose to look like? They are going by a programmed paint formula, probably looking at at Pantone chart or a color chip. They are not going to reel in a 2002-2003 BMW M3 for quality control or for comparison. You know what I am saying?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I understand how they compile that list. But what I am trying to say is - I am not sure if I trust Porsche painting another manufacturer's color, especially a modern metallic. I am doubting Porsche, the same way I would doubt one bodyshop matching another bodyshop's work. If It is a color that Porsche has done it a thousand times, by all means. And I am sure historic colors are different. But modern automotive painting process/paint matching is complicated enough, we've all heard horror stories.

I am not trying to deter anyone who is thinking of PTS. My Spyder was ordered the week before PTS opened up, I could have gone that route.

I just don't want some poor schmuck who read this thread and thinking " Heck yeah, I'll match my 981 to my Phoenix Yellow BMW M3, easy enough, it's on the list, must be flawless" Some other dude in a different part of the world might have done it. But all I am saying, the result might not be the same. How would Porsche know what Phoenix Yellow suppose to look like? They are going by a programmed paint formula, probably looking at at Pantone chart or a color chip. They are not going to reel in a 2002-2003 BMW M3 for quality control or for comparison. You know what I am saying?
Don't worry. There are no 'poor schmucks' on this forum...maybe a few 'rich' schmucks! PTS is only for the experienced buyer. Dealers should weed out the innocents and novices in the ordering process since they have some liabilities here due to 'consumer protection' laws in this fine country of ours!

Talking about 'schmucks, who was the 'Schlemiel' who ordered this PTS MY2009 997 4S Targa currently for sale in Autotrader?:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27162478&Log=0

He/she should be committed to perpetual purgatory by attending a 'Mary Kay' cosmetics reunion in Dallas for the next decade!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Talking about 'schmucks, who was the 'Schlemiel' who ordered this PTS MY2009 997 4S Targa currently for sale in Autotrader?:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...27162478&Log=0

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Rather, OMFG!!!!!!!!!!

He/she should be committed to perpetual purgatory by attending a 'Mary Kay' cosmetics reunion in Dallas for the next decade!

Eduardo, you always have the best pictures!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barbie?

I'm surprised that they stayed with a black interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!