Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spyder Depreciation

Not that this should effect anyones decision about buying this great car, but what do guys guess will be the spyders depreciation curve. Will it hold up better , worse or the same as the regular boxsters and caymans??? What do you think a $70k msrp car, bought in the high 60s, would be worth in 3 years???
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...mZ260796048118

Check out that link if you want to see depreciation !
Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have only ever owned two cars that appreciated

my dealer sold the used 6-speed he had in a few days. 2K mi.

IIRC it was a $72K sticker and he was asking 66 or 68. Probably swung a bit, but not much

there is obviously something wrong with that listing too
Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM
pcw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your looking for something to appreciate, get out of the newer car market, classic's are suffering as well. IMHO the Spyder will be one of those cars that will be a special car from Porsche. When will that equal $$? Who knows. I bought my Spyder to keep so worrying about what it will be worth in a year or two wasn't on my list. Any car no matter what it is will take a hit the first couple of years. Remember it's only money and the experience of owning/driving a Spyder is definitely worth something.

pcw
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

It's tough to say if depreciation will be better or worse than the Boxster, Boxster S, Cayman or Cayman S. Technically the Spyder should have limited interest from customers due to the manual roof. But with limited production and the fact that it offers a phenominal driving experience it may actually have a higher future demand. I know this is somewhat short sighted but just focusing on the 987 forum on Rennlist I see a great deal of interest in the Spyder which means that enthusiasts are seeking more information and or looking to purchase a car.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

It doesn't really matter to me, I have no intentions of selling it anytime soon or ever. IMHO it is an ideal "toy" car.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^ Totally agree with these guys. IMO, IF the spyder appreciates, it won't be for a VERY long time. Probably decades. If you want to buy something that's done depreciating, look for older classic cars. I don't think it will depreciate as fast as a standard boxster though, but we'll see...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its hard to say what will happen with the Boxster Spyder's depreciation. I think it will be worth more than say a standard Boxster, but whether it will be a little more or a lot more no one can say.

As far as appreciation. So far Porsche does not not have much history of water cooled cars appreciating.

While the car may have limited appeal due to its manual top, its limited production may lead to there always being a higher demand for it than supply.

The one factor that will also be an issue for depreciation/appreciation is the next generation of Boxster, and how well it compares to or exceeds the current models. In addition, if they eventually build a Boxster Spyder based on the next generation Boxster that could also help or hurt values of current Spyders. Sometimes a replacement model, like a 996, turns out to be a dud and many people prefer the previous model, sometimes a replacement is a hit and overshadows its predecessor.

Its always a gamble, but if you bought a car because you really love it and it puts a big smile on your face when you drive it, then its eventual value won't matter so much in the grand scheme of things. If it continues to depreciate, well thats the cost of having that smile on your face when driving it. If it appreciates in value, then its a pleasant byproduct of all the years you enjoyed driving it.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

The short term depreciation curve (3 years) will depend entirely on the next generation car. If the new car is drop dead gorgeous, with more power and lighter weight, the 987 Spyder will not be anything special despite its low production numbers. Also there is the question whether we will see a 981 Spyder; personally I think there will be one, given the success of the current car. But, as has been mentioned in other threads, it may be watered-down to appeal to more buyers. Remember that VW has some very lofty sales goals for the Porsche.

In the short term, it also depends on the individual car. A Spyder loaded with options in the $75-80k range will suffer far greater depreciation, taken as a percentage, than a $65-70k MSRP car. Not only are the options worth less on trade in, but a loaded car will likely not appeal to the target market looking for a lightweight, basic car.

The car in the link above has 20k miles. That is a lot for a 2011 car, and the eBay bids reflect this.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The owner of that Ebay car probably enjoyed driving that car.

If someone wanted a 3rd vehicle and was only going to put 2k miles a year and keep the car for 3-4 years I am sure this car would be an interesting proposition.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by optimaxed
The owner of that Ebay car probably enjoyed driving that car.

If someone wanted a 3rd vehicle and was only going to put 2k miles a year and keep the car for 3-4 years I am sure this car would be an interesting proposition.
I actually bought that specific car with that very intention. I had it CPO inspected and the dealer said the only thing it needed to be CPO'd is a set of tires. I just received the car on Friday and for a 19k CA miles, it is in outstanding shape. It was actually the wife's car and she used it to take their son to school and back each day.....something like 45 mile round trip. It has a few items here and there that need cleaned up, but I feel like I got a great deal on an amazing car. Maybe I did......maybe I did not......either way.....I am very happy with the purchase and that is what counts!!! Now when is the next Blue Ridge Run??????
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting. Did the wife say why she didn't want the car anymore? My guess is the roof?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

No reason given, but I don't think the roof was ever on the car.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would project that the car will be worth 60% of its sticker price after 3 years.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig67`
No reason given, but I don't think the roof was ever on the car.
Well, at least once. As in the photo shoot for the Ebay listing. And from the looks of it, they didn't attached it right to the red hooks in the rear. There is some additional red 'tape' or something that can be seen in that general area. I am sure that is one of the items that needs to be cleaned up, as you have stated. But overall, it looks like a great buy to me! Good luck with it. Saludos, z356 (currently in beautiful Colorado)
Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at that price you got a great deal!

Quick Reply: Spyder Depreciation