Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bassie81
Can you imagine what a spyder will do in 15-20 years from now when everyone is dying for a NA flat six Porsche special model??

993 have also depreciated, even the 4s
We can only hope the NA 981's (S and Spyder) will maintain their value - but I doubt they'll be collector cars. Take a good look at Sloan's website. The air-cooled cars are still commanding a significant premium. In addition to the "new" 993 Carrera S, he's got a 993 Carrera 4 coming in with 2600 miles, and will be asking over $100K for it. With the margins increasing on air-cooled Porsches, Sloan is taking in fewer and fewer water-cooled cars - just not worth it to him - the money is in the earlier low mileage 356's and 993's.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 PM
rsixx6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
We can only hope the NA 981's (S and Spyder) will maintain their value - but I doubt they'll be collector cars. Take a good look at Sloan's website. The air-cooled cars are still commanding a significant premium. In addition to the "new" 993 Carrera S, he's got a 993 Carrera 4 coming in with 2600 miles, and will be asking over $100K for it. With the margins increasing on air-cooled Porsches, Sloan is taking in fewer and fewer water-cooled cars - just not worth it to him - the money is in the earlier low mileage 356's and 993's.
You're seeing this through Today's Glasses and not taking into account what the market may demand in 10-20 years.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by rsixx6
You're seeing this through Today's Glasses and not taking into account what the market may demand in 10-20 years.
Probably true, since in 10-20 years Porsches will likely be 3 cylinder hybrids (if not fully electric). That's OK though, since BMWs and Audis will only have 2 cylinder engines.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have a feeling that electric cars and or some other form of power will eventually kill the gasoline engine.

As far as values go, the fact that the last generation Spyder really hasn't lost much of its value in 5 years says a great deal about its future collect ability IMHO. Take a look at valuations over the years for the 959 or even the air cooled cars. They all dipped before they shot up. We already know the 997 GT3 and RS are valued higher than their msrp, they will likely be very valuable as they are obviously the last of a breed for Porsche.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have a feeling that electric cars and or some other form of power will eventually kill the gasoline engine. As far as values go, the fact that the last generation Spyder really hasn't lost much of its value in 5 years says a great deal about its future collect ability IMHO. Take a look at valuations over the years for the 959 or even the air cooled cars. They all dipped before they shot up. We already know the 997 GT3 and RS are valued higher than their msrp, they will likely be very valuable as they are obviously the last of a breed for Porsche.
Much of collector car value depends on the numbers produced, and the exclusivity. Just look at the appreciation of 12 cyl Ferraris, e-types, and 959s. Last of breed is a factor as well.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm a Spyder buyer. I have never made money on a car, so pay no attention to me. I make my money in an entirely different way and only buy and sell cars because I like them so much. Always have, always will. Can't be helped.
The only reason I don't already have one is because 1). I am not "rich" by the standards of the truly wealthy and 2). I bought a TT and a BGTS in 2015. When I cruise the internet for 991 Spyders, my wife asks if I would trade in my TT or BGTS. The answer is neither. Both cars have their place and I'm not willing to take a huge hit on either car because I really like both of them. I did order both, after all.
I would be happy with a 987 Spyder except for 1). The top and 2). No reversing camera. My current plan is to buy a lightly used 991 Spyder in a year or so after paying off the TT. My "must haves" are a reversing camera and a sound system with GPS. I'm OK with either 18 ways or LWBs. I really like the 18 ways on my BGTS but the LWBs are very comfortable once seated and they seem to have an extra appeal to certain buyers. Personally, I know full well I'm no race driver.
My last caveat is that my two children, who both grew up with a 911 of some ilk in the garage; my daughter drives a Prius and my son (who drives an '08 A6 while making great money) dreams of a self driving car so he can read or nap while going to work. I tried hard and failed.
A lot of young people just don't care.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:14 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have a feeling that electric cars and or some other form of power will eventually kill the gasoline engine.

As far as values go, the fact that the last generation Spyder really hasn't lost much of its value in 5 years says a great deal about its future collect ability IMHO. Take a look at valuations over the years for the 959 or even the air cooled cars. They all dipped before they shot up. We already know the 997 GT3 and RS are valued higher than their msrp, they will likely be very valuable as they are obviously the last of a breed for Porsche.
I agree with your electric car perspective. Electric, self driven cars are the wave of the future.
As far as Spyder prices are concerned, I just checked the Porsche USA site, and they have several 2011s with 18K - 22K miles listed for the low $50Ks. Let's not forget that what is listed is the asking price, and not the selling price.
I suspect that most used cars sell for around 10% less than asking price, so a lot of these Spyders will probably sell for around $47 - $49K, and of course dealers know that when they set the asking price. So what was the trade-in price for these low $50K Spyders. Just a guess on my part, but I'd guess low $40Ks.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I agree with your electric car perspective. Electric, self driven cars are the wave of the future.
As far as Spyder prices are concerned, I just checked the Porsche USA site, and they have several 2011s with 18K - 22K miles listed for the low $50Ks. Let's not forget that what is listed is the asking price, and not the selling price.
I suspect that most used cars sell for around 10% less than asking price, so a lot of these Spyders will probably sell for around $47 - $49K, and of course dealers know that when they set the asking price. So what was the trade-in price for these low $50K Spyders. Just a guess on my part, but I'd guess low $40Ks.
As far as current pricing, what we know for certain is that the LWB Spyders typically sell for at least $7K higher than the equivalent Sport Seats. The manuals with LWB seem to sell at highest prices. We had a couple examples sold be members on this forum for high 50's to low 60's in the last 4 months. Warmer weather also bumps up the pricing.

But I agree with you that trade in is probably on the lower side and perhaps the market has softened with the new Spyders readily available.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:16 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what also helps with 987 resale is the fact that the 981 are 20-30% higher similarly spec'd.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just did a quick search for 987.2 MT/LWB's on Autotrader and found only one for sale at $63K. I did a similar search for PDK/LWB's and came up with 3 available with prices ranging from low 50's to mid 50's.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Another consideration is that this 981 Spyder seems to only have a one year production run as opposed to the 987 which had two years, with the second year offering PDK (right?). It does not appear this will be the case with the 981 Spyder which will always only come in Manual. How many cars nowadays only come in manual? With numbers being in the high hundreds, I don't see this 981 Spyder as a rare collectible, but I do see it as a desirable model for a couple of reasons: the last n/a Spyder, a beautiful sculptural body, and a 3.8 in mid-engine form, as well as the one year production run all lend to a strong resale value down the line. The manual transmission and top will reduce the number of potential buyers but not by much I suspect.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

As stated earlier, it all depends if the next model Spyder will be a turbo or another NA engine. Being the last NA Spyder would help the car's desirability and make it a collector's item.

There are now rumors floating around that the next 911 GTS will be a NA engine again.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ment-under-way

If this is true, I would think that the next Spyder would also be a NA engine and make the car less desirable.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by RS911
As stated earlier, it all depends if the next model Spyder will be a turbo or another NA engine. Being the last NA Spyder would help the car's desirability and make it a collector's item.

There are now rumors floating around that the next 911 GTS will be a NA engine again.

[URL]http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-mission-e-development-under-way[/URL

If this is true, I would think that the next Spyder would also be a NA engine and make the car less desirable.
You're assuming there will be a next generation Spyder, and if so, when?
Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
You're assuming there will be a next generation Spyder, and if so, when?
I would be surprised if they didn't come out with a new one on the last year of production of the 981.2 to help boost sales before the change over to the new model.

There was debate if a new Spyder would come out after the 987.2 since so many complained about the top and minimalist approach and lost sight of what the car was about. Porsche changed their approach with the new Spyder with less focus on weight reduction and more focus on performance which has worked out in their favor. The new Spyder has been well received by publications and owners alike so why wouldn't they make another?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:57 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

I know one should never assume, but others on the forums would probably agree with me that it is a fairly safe bet another Sypder will be on the horizon at the end of the next production cycle year.

What I do not believe is that the next 911 GTS will be a NA engine. This could translate to, that the next Sypder will likely not be a NA engine either. But (and this is a big but) one never knows. Personally I give it a 50/50 chance.

Quick Reply: Spyder Depreciation