Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Units - Plug and Play?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Kirkvw72
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control Units - Plug and Play?

Hello -

I want to replace the climate control unit in my 2006 Boxster. I have the old unit out - it came out in minutes.

Is this a simple plug and play proceedure if I buy a new or used unit? If it is not, then I will look at fixing mine. My LCD is bad.

Thanks,
Kirk
Old 03-06-2011, 11:50 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to swap for an identical part# unit. Though, I do know you cannot swap a manual climate control unit with an automatic one, and expect to get an "upgrade" to automatic climate control. Some folks have tried that DIY upgrade route and failed.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
flintworks
Advanced

It is a simple plug and play. You should not have to have it coded or calibrated by the dealer.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:24 AM
SoCalCitizen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flintworks
It is a simple plug and play. You should not have to have it coded or calibrated by the dealer.
do you mean, the newer blac unit is plug and play?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:38 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I was successful in swapping out my manual heat controller in my 987.2 with the factory optional climate controller. No recoding necessary. The auto controller I bought used also has the buttons for heated seats. No errors even though I do not have heated seats......

FYI.

-Eric
2009 Cayman S
The Departed: 87 951, 89 944 S2, 90 C2
Old 06-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok, my last post was in January, and the climate controller worked great, in the cold. Now it's hot out, and the climate controller is clearly trying to cool the car down, but the controller will not cool the air. SO, back to the original manual climate controller. Everything works great......

I'm thinking the sensor for the incoming air temperature is not installed in the car with the manual controller. A quick check using Durametrics shows the temperature as -40 with the manual controller installed...... So, where is the incoming temperature sensor?

-Eric
Old 06-07-2020, 04:42 PM
kt_987
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Kessel
Ok, my last post was in January, and the climate controller worked great, in the cold. Now it's hot out, and the climate controller is clearly trying to cool the car down, but the controller will not cool the air. SO, back to the original manual climate controller. Everything works great......

I'm thinking the sensor for the incoming air temperature is not installed in the car with the manual controller. A quick check using Durametrics shows the temperature as -40 with the manual controller installed...... So, where is the incoming temperature sensor?

-Eric
Sorry to revive and old thread but has anyone else tried this conversion on a 987.2 and had it work? It seems like the heat will work but the AC has issues. I'd like to swap from manual to automatic climate control on my 2011 cayman. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Climate Control Units - Plug and Play?