Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rms ims on a tiptronic??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:58 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rms ims on a tiptronic??

I heard from a Porsche guy that due to the alignment blah blah support of the automatic transmission...

Porsches with tiptronic do not have rms or ims issues.

Is this true? Does anybody know of a tiptronic that had these issues?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
ken1.9
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before buying a preowned Boxster I talked to two Porsche service advisors from two different dealerships. They both suggested I look at models that were late 06 or newer as they had never had issues with models that new. One even suggested if I return with the serial number and he could tell me if that model had the improvements. Both also said the problem was not as common as some would lead you to believe. One mentioned that tiptronic models seemed to be a little more reliable in general and that it might have to do with them not being able to go above redline (7000 rpm) and thus if buying used they might have been treated better (I don't know if that is true as I haven't tried to go above 7K). I ended up with an 08 tiptronic and am pleased with it however I do keep it in manual mode and self shift most of the time. It tends to shift too soon for me otherwise. I think your question is a good one and I would suggest you get more opinions from Porsche service advisors and technicians.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
I heard from a Porsche guy that due to the alignment blah blah support of the automatic transmission...

Porsches with tiptronic do not have rms or ims issues.

Is this true? Does anybody know of a tiptronic that had these issues?
While I can't remember the specifics I can remember there have been a few owners of Tip equipped cars reporting their cars suffering from RMS and IMS troubles.

The problem is within the engine, not the transmission.

But there seems to be in some cases something about a manual equipped engine that makes it more prone to manifesting these problems. Flywheel imbalance or sloppy clutch work or harder driving come to mind.

But as I said above the problem is within the engine.

Short of abuse or malicious mistreatment of the engine nothing else the driver can do behind the wheel should cause the IMS bearing to fail.

Now, the RMS seal can leak if the car is not driven enough which of course arises from what the driver *doesn't* do behind the wheel.

But the RMS can leak even if the car is driven alot.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Rms ims on a tiptronic??