Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My V1 hardwire install in my Spyder

Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My V1 hardwire install in my Spyder

I installed my Valentine 1 2 days ago and thought it might be useful for some of you to see how I did it.

1) Remove the sun visors on both side. You have to remove 2 big torx screws and 1 small torx screw on each side. This will allow you to shake loose the top cladding. Inside of this is where the telephone power cord will go. I positioned the V1 so that I could decide where I wanted the cord to go. Then Remove the 2 home link buttons and center reading lights. It’s relatively easy to do since there’s a little notch where you insert a tiny screw driver but be very careful. Both of mine opened up in many pieces and I had to put them back all together. Not difficult but took a few minutes to figure out where the “rubbery contact bit” went as the parts are not fully symmetrical. You also need to remove the connectors from the light and home link buttons. It should look like this when they are out (see attached pictures)

and the top cladding can move relatively freely and should look like this (see attached pictures)

I then removed the plastic cover on the driver side using a piece of plastic about the size of a credit card in order not to scratch anything (see attached pictures)

From there I routed the telephone cord from the detector itself to across the windshield, down the left side A pillar, to the side opening.

Now I need to power the V1 with a switched power (i.e. I wanted the unit off on it’s own when the ignition was switched off). I used the old trial and error method and found a 7.5A fuse that was switched power. I considered using the power from the reading light and skip all the cladding removal etc. but the wires were so thin that I just decided that I needed to do it right and get to a fuse.

To get to the fuse, you just need to remove 3 phillips screws. Ideally, you want to install your power wire behind the box. I was lazy and compromised… I wrapped my power wire around the fuse and used a common ground near the fuse box. Pictures tell the story better (see attached pictures)

Put everything back together and you have a very clean install with no traces of wires anywhere…
Attached Images       
Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Jean Marc! For this install and the harness. I receive my car in July, and you're doing everything I need to do. Perfect!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My V1 hardwire install in my Spyder