Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
bjf123
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Brake Light

While out and about on Saturday, I stepped on the brakes and the warning message "check left brake light" appeared on the dash. I headed to the local Auto Zone and had my wife get out and check when we stopped in the parking lot. The left rear brake light was indeed out. I bought a set of replacement bulbs and switched both the left and right bulbs out when I got home. We checked and they both worked. However, I got in the car this morning and now have a two warning messages saying to check both the left and right brake lights. Both are working. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bjf123
While out and about on Saturday, I stepped on the brakes and the warning message "check left brake light" appeared on the dash. I headed to the local Auto Zone and had my wife get out and check when we stopped in the parking lot. The left rear brake light was indeed out. I bought a set of replacement bulbs and switched both the left and right bulbs out when I got home. We checked and they both worked. However, I got in the car this morning and now have a two warning messages saying to check both the left and right brake lights. Both are working. Any ideas?
Does the owners manual have anything on this?

It could be -- I hope not -- but it could be similar to the service engine soon light, or warning that appears when it is time to change the oil, and the brake light warning needs to be cleared at the dealership.

I would have thought the light and warning would have not come back on at the next engine start. Perhaps it takes several of these engine start events for the warning message to go away on its own?

But check the manual. it might just be a sticky warning, but it could be a real warning that something is still not right.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The check brake light warning does not have to be cleared by the dealer. I just changed my brake light bulb and the warning message went away instantly.

Are you sure you used the right bulbs? If you kept the other good bulb, try putting it back in and see if that makes a difference. Also, make sure they are tight in the socket.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
bjf123
Track Day

I got the bulbs that the computer at Auto Zone said were for the car. They were Sylvania 7528.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM
bill930p
Racer

I got the bulbs that the computer at Auto Zone said were for the car. They were Sylvania 7528.

Check it with the old bulb. It has the number stamped on it. I don't remember the number anymore, however, I do remember that when I got mine (from Advanced Autoparts) they had the wrong bulb number in their computer. After I got home and took the old one out, I realized they were different and had to go exchange for the correct ones.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
bjf123
Track Day

I'll check the old bulb when I get home tonight. It should be in the bottom of the garbage can.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
bill930p
Racer

I just found my reciept. You DO in fact have the wrong bulbs! The bulb you need is 7225.

As it turns Advanced Autoparts made the same mistake your store did. they originaly sold me bulb 7528 also. I also looked it up online and everywhere I looked also showed the wrong bulb.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
bjf123
Track Day

I called my local dealer last night and left a message about this, in case there might be some obscure reset procedure. They just called back and said the issue is the aftermarket bulbs have a higher resistance which the system interprets as a fault. Since I've only got 19K miles on the car, he said the bulbs are still covered under warranty, so I'll stop by there on Saturday to have them swapped out.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM
bill930p
Racer

I called my local dealer last night and left a message about this, in case there might be some obscure reset procedure. They just called back and said the issue is the aftermarket bulbs have a higher resistance which the system interprets as a fault. Since I've only got 19K miles on the car, he said the bulbs are still covered under warranty, so I'll stop by there on Saturday to have them swapped out.

I would definately use the OEM's if thats an option for you.

However, for others, mainly those who can't get OEM's from the dealer, the 7225 bulbs fit and work perfectly. DON"T use the ones in the autoparts store computer.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Cyborg
4th Gear

Default Pelican also has it wrong

I tried to get the correct part from Pelican, but even they screwed up and sent the 7528 lamps. I eventually found the correct part (7225) at a local auto parts store. So much for ordering from so called Porsche Experts on the internet for such simple things as lamps. I figure they just scrape the Sylvania website which is not the same as verifying a part with the manufacturer's documentation.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 AM
UFreefer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advanced auto is still selling 7528 bulbs instead of 7225 for Porsche

Couldnt figure out why the light didnt go away on my 997, glad I checked here. Off to Advanced auto to swap them out for 7225s
Old 06-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That is frustrating, after all this time you would think someone would make the effort to correct it so they don't get a bunch of returned bulbs.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:57 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MB customer service died in the nineties
Old 04-26-2018, 09:13 AM
cubbyno9
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Message wont clear

Hi all, I also got the "check the left rear brake" message. Fitted a new bulb and they are both working fine however I am still getting the error message.
Any ideas why the message is not clearing ? thanks.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, still ran into this today with my local NAPA. When I installed the bulb he got from his system I still got the error message. Then when I brought him the bad bulb he cross referenced it and got a different number. Once we used the cross referenced bulb it works great and the error message went away.

Quick Reply: Check Brake Light