Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Boxster Sport/power upgrades/mods? Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:08 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts
Default 2009 Boxster Sport/power upgrades/mods? Help

Okay I know it but don't say it...anyway just purchased a 2009 Boxster base with 2.9L engine 6sp transmission and a Limited Slip Diff, sport seats , 19" Sport Classic wheels, and sport steering wheel. However my daily driver is an e92 M3 and my previous personal Porsche was an '05 997 base. Wife's car is an 09 Cayenne S w/385hp and so the Boxster while my weekend/alternative car is very quick and stable with the low wt and mid engine option that I am loving. It is also easy to drive quick and at the limit as its very predictable however I do find myself missing the hp I am used to.

Okay now you can tell me I should have gotten a Boxster S or Cayman S or another 997 but a 997S this time but due to other circumstances that wasn' the best option $$ wise or to keep peace in the household (you know what I mean) and other reason. Therefore I got a different car than I am used to but with the color/combo and options I wanted to make it more sport in handling and ride. However torque, hp, exhaust sound all need to be a little more sportier.

So what is out there that can be done about this...OTHER than get one of the above cars? Any thoughts are welcome as I am always interested in the countless ways folks have found to mod their cars to make them into what they wanted them to be!
So let the suggestions rip but not rip on me!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Always a tough decision to justify bolt-on mods for performance. You never get much out of them. I think for the Boxster, you might consider header / cat - I think that's where the most restriction really is. If you match sport headers / cats with the stock muffler, I think you'd get a nice tone with some performance gain potential. Softronic software is great in that it is in the background, you can put it in / take it out yourself with a laptop, and it really does optimize engine settings for what you have (ie: 93 octane, lower restriction on the exhaust, etc.). I personally do not like anything to do with intake modifications - I've had trouble with oiled filters (as have many others).

While Softronic and exhaust mods won't turn your car into a monster, it will feel stronger and sound much more sporty.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:59 PM
scrambler
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the circumstances behind my rationale for purchasing an '09 2.9l are different than what Mdrobc1213 described, I had/have the same question about enhancing performance. After bouncing around the boards and talking with the local Porsche guru mechanic, the collective set of recommendations line up perfectly with what RonCT suggests. Softronic, headers/sport cat and don't skimp on the octane. Other suggestions include keeping weight to a minimum (e.g. drive with .5 tank of fuel) and installing the Porsche short-shift kit.

Anything more than this begins to push the limits of diminishing returns relative to the S option.

Good luck. I'm in there with you. For me, if the shove in the back after the mods doesn't feel like enough, I suppose that's a sign from Dr. Porsche looking down from above and telling me that if I want to go faster, it's time to sign up for driving school.

Good luck with your mods and enjoy the drives. You've got an amazing stable.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by scrambler
While the circumstances behind my rationale for purchasing an '09 2.9l are different than what Mdrobc1213 described, I had/have the same question about enhancing performance. After bouncing around the boards and talking with the local Porsche guru mechanic, the collective set of recommendations line up perfectly with what RonCT suggests. Softronic, headers/sport cat and don't skimp on the octane. Other suggestions include keeping weight to a minimum (e.g. drive with .5 tank of fuel) and installing the Porsche short-shift kit.

Anything more than this begins to push the limits of diminishing returns relative to the S option.

Good luck. I'm in there with you. For me, if the shove in the back after the mods doesn't feel like enough, I suppose that's a sign from Dr. Porsche looking down from above and telling me that if I want to go faster, it's time to sign up for driving school.

Good luck with your mods and enjoy the drives. You've got an amazing stable.
Thanks I guess is that my stable or RonCT's? LOL

Am quite happy with the Fabspeed exhaust and the ECU flash. That along with the LS diff and sports seats make the ride very nice. I think the next and last thing will be the sports cats and then I am done for the peformance mods likely for the car. Like you say at that point its go ahead and buy the S model! LOL Otherwise every time I drive the car I notice new things about the ride or drive that make it more enjoyable!
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Couple of further thoughts. I'd be nervous about any ecu mod that requires removal of the Ecu. Softronic is a flash from the obd port. Also, the shift in my S is so short and perfect, I'd not bother with it. Everyone I know that went shorter regretted it because it became notchy.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the money spent on mods and improve the drover? I know.. its not as glamorous.. You've bought a great car and seem to have a stable of them. Learning how to extract the most from each, as they are, could have the best return on investment! (ok.. how about a short shift kit and headers if you MUST change something on the car )
Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
Take the money spent on mods and improve the drover? I know.. its not as glamorous.. You've bought a great car and seem to have a stable of them. Learning how to extract the most from each, as they are, could have the best return on investment! (ok.. how about a short shift kit and headers if you MUST change something on the car )
Yeah I'd love to do a Porsche driving school also. Have done the BMW 1 day car control clinic, BMW performance delivery, and 1 day M school already and had a blast and learned alot more as wel..hmm that is a thoughtl! Not as sexy as sport cats though I agree!

Quick Reply: 2009 Boxster Sport/power upgrades/mods? Help