Air Bag Switch for Passenger Seat - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Air Bag Switch for Passenger Seat

Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Air Bag Switch for Passenger Seat

I recall that there was an air bag switch for the Boxster/Cayman passenger seat [so that a car seat can be used] that was less expensive than the complex unit that is $700+. Does anyone know about one?
Thanks, Jim
Jim in St.Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
vladie22
User

my manual says that there is a switch on the right side of the dashboard. if you open the door , you should be able to see it . you stick the key in it and turn it .having said that , i went and looked and my car does not have such a switch .
vladie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
BGLeduc
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladie22
my manual says that there is a switch on the right side of the dashboard. if you open the door , you should be able to see it . you stick the key in it and turn it .having said that , i went and looked and my car does not have such a switch .
As per the manual in my '06 CS, its a dealer installed item, not standard equipment.

Brian
BGLeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
BSL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladie22
I believe that is only on the European spec cars, not US due to DOT regs.
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
911to987
New User

My '05 boxster didn't have the switch when I found the car a year ago. After watching my 7 year old son stare longingly at the passenger seat for the last 11 months, I went ahead and spent the money. Parts were about $250 and labor was about $350. I'd heard rumors about aftermarket options, but never really looked into them, as I'm pretty happy keeping my warranty intact - especially with an airbag in front of my son.

Worth every dime just for the look on his face sitting over there.

Eric
911to987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
TimeOfFlight
User

Thought this was interesting.

From the Porsche website:

"Despite the presence of a weight sensing system in the passenger seat in MY 2006 and later vehicles. it is recommended to have your authorized Porsche dealer install an airbag deactivation key-operated switch and the lower anchorages into the seat."
TimeOfFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i thought on 987's, if the passenger isn't heavy enough, passenger airbag turns itself off. that's they way it is on my RS and cayman and 987 boxster S (2006). i put my 3 year olds car seat on the passenger seat, stuff her in the seat, buckle her up and the air bag turns itself off by lighting up the AWS passenger airbag off light. am i mistaken?
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
BSL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
i thought on 987's, if the passenger isn't heavy enough, passenger airbag turns itself off. that's they way it is on my RS and cayman and 987 boxster S (2006). i put my 3 year olds car seat on the passenger seat, stuff her in the seat, buckle her up and the air bag turns itself off by lighting up the AWS passenger airbag off light. am i mistaken?
Yes, the 987 is similar to the 997 in this respect, however while the light my be lit that the airbag is deactivated, I would be worried about enough force being applied to the seat to activate the airbag. Having the key-switched installed is the best way to be sure that the bag is deactivated--better than depending on the sensors.
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
Yes, the 987 is similar to the 997 in this respect, however while the light my be lit that the airbag is deactivated, I would be worried about enough force being applied to the seat to activate the airbag. Having the key-switched installed is the best way to be sure that the bag is deactivated--better than depending on the sensors.
thanx for the explanation. i got it now.
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote