Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 987 Performance Chips.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Porsche 987 Performance Chips.

Hi Folks,

Ok, I thought I would start a new post on Porsche Boxster performance chips.

My questions to you all are :-

1. Can the Porsche 987S fitted with the 280BHP engine be re-chipped?

2. What performance increase can you expect for both BHP and Torque Lb/Ft? (for example could you expect an increase of 300BHP?)

3. Please provide a website for the chip and the price.

4. Does this effect Reliability?

5. Does this invalidate the Porsche Warranty? can the chip be detected as of course I would assume Porsche will plug the car into a computer to see any changes?

6. Can you put the old chip back in to get it back to standard spec, or is the original chip somehow modified not allowing you to revert the changes?

Thank You I look forward to your reply.

Michael
Old 10-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Smile

OK, Just found this....

DNA Tuning offer the following to both 987 models :-

Porsche 987 3.2 (Boxster) - optimised electronic engine management (ECU) £799.00
DNA power increase of +10bhp, +10lbs/ft - fully switchable via SRS unit

Porsche 987 2.7 (Boxster) - optimised electronic engine management (ECU) £699.00
DNA power increase of +10bhp, +10lbs/ft - remap existing ECU chip

http://www.dnatuning.com/cms/content/view/93/129/
Old 10-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Additionally I have found another interesting thread on this site :-

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=chip
Old 10-03-2006, 02:46 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

1. Any modern Porsche can be "chipped".
2. The +10 you found is pretty standard marketing claims. I would say "up to +10". Other independent dyno graphs that I've found are more like 0 to 5HP (on 986). I've had mine chipped twice and lost power both times.
3. There are a lot. GIAC, Revo, Upsolute, etc.
4. Probably not significantly because the gains are so small.
5. Porsche can use it to invalidate your engine warranty. It's in the warranty handbook. Yes, they can tell if they really go looking for it.
6. Modern cars are not chipped, per se, but rather they are reflashed, so you can almost go back to stock.

Good luck, but my honest opinion is that your money is better spent elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
tkarwin
Intermediate

Chips help you extract the most out of the engine in different ways. They can take advantage of higher octane or other modifications that you may have made to the car.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by arenared
1. Any modern Porsche can be "chipped".
2. The +10 you found is pretty standard marketing claims. I would say "up to +10". Other independent dyno graphs that I've found are more like 0 to 5HP (on 986). I've had mine chipped twice and lost power both times.
3. There are a lot. GIAC, Revo, Upsolute, etc.
4. Probably not significantly because the gains are so small.
5. Porsche can use it to invalidate your engine warranty. It's in the warranty handbook. Yes, they can tell if they really go looking for it.
6. Modern cars are not chipped, per se, but rather they are reflashed, so you can almost go back to stock.

Good luck, but my honest opinion is that your money is better spent elsewhere.
Thank you for your advice and sharing your experience.

Michael
Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

I have found an interesting thread on a chip horror story.

If you are thinking of getting a chip from superchips you may want to read this first:-

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...55975&f=48&h=0

Regards

Michael
Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Wow. I didn't think anyone desoldered the chips anymore... unless it was an older pre-2000 Boxster. I would not consider SuperChips or PowerChip as credible.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:50 PM
dagrunner
Track Day

Chips may work well on turbocharged motors but they offer little help to a normally aspirated motor. Where the chip magic works is remapping a central processing unit to add boost to the turbo. If the motor is normally aspirated, you can bet the engineers have it pretty much optimized in terms of timing and engine management. Further, with the variable timing now offered on these high performance engines, chipping might actually screw them up.

In my opinion, one would be better off putting money into good tires and brakes.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will only believe they will make a difference if you can show an independent dyno test to prove it. I still have yet to see one.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Well to be honest, for now I am perfectly happy with the performance of the 280BHP engine and I doubt a 10bhp increase would really seam any different. I dont want to mess about with the cars engine management. My previous porsche car was a 993 and believe me the Boxster S is leagues better, because handling is so much better you can put power down where the 993 would be only dreaming, about it, anyway thats another story. For now I am just so happy with the 987S. Thank you Porsche.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Glad you're enjoying your 987S. I'd wait for the warranty to run out, then see what mods have proven credible and reliable over that time. IMHO, the 987 aftermarket is still in its infancy. When the 986 came out, there was a lot of snake oil and stuff that didn't work. With the 987 having largely the same engines as the 986, Porsche addressed some of the bottlenecks that the aftermarket had been addressing with the 986 which accounts for the majority of the HP increases. I doubt there is much left in a 987 engine to be had by mods. The numbers I've seen so far are "marketing" numbers. I seriously doubt you'd get much more than 10HP out of a 987 engine with all currently available mods. When the 997 GT3 comes out, there may be some suspension bits to be had. That might be worth keeping an eye out for...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
dagrunner
Track Day

There is no replacement for displacement.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:22 AM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that a lot of grassroots racers (NASA, PCA) use FVD, but there is little information online. I only mention it becuase it seems that every Boxster racer I talk to is using them. I have not ventured in this direction because I'm quite sure that 15-20 more horsepower is not going to make me faster around Mid-Ohio, VIR, Putnam, Autobahn, etc. The slowest part of my 987S is me. $1600 dollars will buy one set of Hoosier R6's and one set of Pagid Yellows and the seat time I gain from using them up will make me much faster that an extra 15HP at the crank. just my observation.

Quick Reply: Porsche 987 Performance Chips.