Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just drove a new Boxster, now I'm depressed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Just drove a new Boxster, now I'm depressed...

...because mine feels so enemic after the new 987. I didn't have a lot of time to drive it, nor did I test its limits of handling (its 40 degrees and wet outside...not that I'd push it anyway), but in every respect the car is just nicer, tighter, more powerful, feels of better quality, looks better...*sigh*. Mine just feels like a crapwagon now.

I stopped by the dealer to get info for my brother (he wants an S), but now I'm counting the days until I can afford one (probably used). Wow these are nice cars....
Old 01-26-2005, 03:40 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm holding off for the Boxster coupe.. and no test drives to mess me up.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey KJ..I see you sold the M3. How do you like the 944 turbo? I'm also trying to wait for the Boxster S coupe.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:09 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

I'm still in the get to know stage. Got the car for $8500 which is a lot coz it had issues. Put $3400 in work by IMA (will link details if u really care to know), and still needs to upgrade the brakes and suspension. It's a nice cheap car for the track. It's old, and slow right now, but mods will change that.

I sold the M3 after 2.5 years of ownership for over $42k. Pretty good depreciation on those things. I knew I wasn't gonna drive it much during winter and it was time to make a move for the 911Turbo... so I will see in a few months when I'm ready. I wanted the cash in my bank. The past few weeks have been brutal without a replacement car.. been itching to get back into an M3 again lol... but will try to be disciplined and stay on course with the plan.. we'll see.

I see u got some new mods on ur Boxster S.. very cool. I still miss my yellow one. I regret selling it, as I am with my M3. 2 cars I regret selling over the past 20 lol.. Boxsters rock.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to drive the new Boxsters this afternoon.

Good to hear that Porsche has done a nice job with the car. Bad to hear that we now drive crapwagons! I've thought about getting a new one, but the thought of depreciation brings me back to reality. We shall see...

BTW KJM, great looking Turbo! They really make excellent track cars. A lot of our local PCA members have switched to the 951.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I too drove the new Boxster S and yet it makes previous Boxsters feel like crapwagons. Better all around, go drive one for the fun of it, even if you aren't going to buy it's worth checking out the difference. I would say that the S was on par peformance wise with my old modified S that had headers, ecu, intake and other mods/
Old 01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

KJ you change cars more then underwear...lol. 911 turbo huh, sweet. The 944 turbo is striking some interest on my part, great car for the money. I always like them when I was growing up. Hey Doug, I would think a 99' would be a huge difference in comparison to the 987, but nowhere near a crapwagon. No Porsche is a crapwagon.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:06 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Ghost Rider I too drove the new Boxster S and yet it makes previous Boxsters feel like crapwagons. Better all around, go drive one for the fun of it, even if you aren't going to buy it's worth checking out the difference. I would say that the S was on par peformance wise with my old modified S that had headers, ecu, intake and other mods

All these great comments are gonna make me go test drive the 987S. I haven't even been to the dealer to see the 987. I know if I test drive one its going to cause a dilemma...
Old 01-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from my test drive. Needless to say, I liked it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality of the 19" rims.

I'm a tall guy (6'2") and the new seating was a HUGE improvement. The cabin feels more spacious and comfortable.

The performance was also impressive. Handling is spot-on, and the car sprints to 60 faster than my 2000 Crapwag--I mean 986--S.

Overall it's a very impressive car.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:22 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

yeah I'm holding off on test driving coz I might end up buying it.. hehe. I know the 2000 and 2001 Porsche Boxster S I've driven were a freakin' blast... the coupe is going to be so much fun!

AutobahnNY, the 944turbo is a great car to mod (which i know u like) and can get insane hp.. the only problem is finding the right car without issues, and keeping up with the maintenance. Can cost a good amount of cash for a 19 year old car.

Anyway back to the topic.. Boxster S with that power upgrade is no push over.. and looks great!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The best part about being a Porsche fan is they never let us down. The new Boxsters are sweet, and I don't care what people over in the 924/944/951 forum say, our cars are nice and all but I would drop it for a Boxster in a heartbeat. Even for a 986!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
...Hey Doug, I would think a 99' would be a huge difference in comparison to the 987, but nowhere near a crapwagon. No Porsche is a crapwagon.
Oh I know, I still love my car. I think some of my opinion has to do with it being winter and we desperately want to move out west and life sucks right now and...well, you get the picture.

As good as my '99 is, the 987 is just so much better! Wonderful car all around.

Someday... *sigh*

Quick Reply: Just drove a new Boxster, now I'm depressed...