Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSG for Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:05 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DSG for Coupe?

I recently read somewhere (Dec Top Gear?) that the Boxster Coupe is rumored to be the first Porsche to get the DSG transmission. Am wondering if there is any truth to this. I guess it really doesn't matter because it seems inevitable anyway. Personally I don't like BMW's SMG II on the M3 but am curious to see what the auto clutch will be like on the P cars and how the P enthusiasts will take to it since Porsche is the last three-pedal stronghold. BMW's M cars will soon be stickless. Damn shame.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the coupe didn't showup at the Detroit auto show as Panorama magazine had said it would, so who knows...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Could someone explain to me what a DSG transmission is?

Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:12 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I asked the PCNA rep at the L.A. show and they said the Coupe is just a rumor. PAG has not confirmed that it will be built.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh please, they are already building it, PCNA is stone walling, every time i talk to the dealer they say that their reps wont say jack squat. I hope it does have that tranny, the SMG is awsome,
Old 01-13-2005, 03:28 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Well I know someone at PCNA that has driven the Boxster Coupe, so while the "official" position might be silence, there are at least semi-production versions running around so I would assume it gets the green light. My source tells me that Porsche AG backed off with bringing out the coupe this Spring because they felt that it was too close to the intro of the convertible and didn't want to take sales away from the convertible by announcing too soon. Just look at the reaction here on Rennlist to the spy photos and articles, everyone is wetting their pants over it, I'm sure Porsche has seen this and therefore wants to give the Boxster convertible more of a chance to succeed on its own before introducing the coupe. There are also those buys who can't wait and will ****** up a convertible before summer as opposed to waiting until fall/winter for the coupe.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:10 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah and there are those such as my self who dont care one bit about the convertable and might just buy something else instead.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:01 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M Danger
yeah and there are those such as my self who dont care one bit about the convertable and might just buy something else instead.
You got that right! Take sales away from the convertible??? Who cares, the coupe looks to be more expensive anyway......for a car that should cost the same or less than the drop top. I'm pretty sick and tired of Porsche only offering a roadster as their entry level car.......stupid. I'd be willing to bet that if the Boxster would have been offered as a coupe back in '97 it would have equaled or outsold the convertible.

Looking at the pricing (at least for the UK) the C7S model with the 3.4 engine will *start* around $65K here.......sorry I think this is a complete rip-off, especially with all the competition around the $50k range......M3, Corvette, and others. I know the car will be great, but it will pretty much get it's *** kicked right from the start........all for a $15k premium.

Personally I have narrowed down my next car purchase to be either the C7x Coupe, the last year of the great E46 M3, or wait a year or two for the E90 M3.......with a rumored 380 - 400 V8. As time goes by I'm really starting to lean to the last two choices.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Valmet Automotive in Finland has already announced that it will be building the Boxster coupe. It's just a matter of time before Porsche makes it public.

Can't wait for the first Excellence article when someone stuffs the 3.8L into the Boxster coupe.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Could someone explain to me what a DSG transmission is?
Thanks!!
http://forums.yellowworld.org/archiv...hp/t-3224.html
Old 01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks!

For those that don't want to go over here is the information:

The all-new DSG transmission is a race bred system that has now been developed for street applications. Used back in the 1980's in Audi's Sport Quattro S1 racers, this tranmission utilizes two multi-plate clutches that can simulaneously have two gears selected, one engaged the other waiting. When a gear shift is made via paddles located behind the steering wheel, both clutches are opened, gears change and clutches close in a fraction of second under full load with virtually seamless power maintained. In a down shift situation DSG will even blip the throttle to match revs. DSG can also be utilized just like a regular automatic transmission with both a conservative "D" position and an aggressive "S" sport position.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:59 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the convertible only option opinion. I'm actually steering away from the 987 because it's only available as a convertible. I like having the option of a coupe like in the 944 series. I bought a coupe instead of a convertible. I'm probably going to get an STi because it's not a convertible.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Keep in mind that a 987 convertible is a whole lot stiffer than a 944 coupe and is significantly improved in terms of handling, etc. vs. a 944. I can understand not wanting a convertible or trying to choose between the two, but if you want a coupe why not wait for the Boxster GTS? The STi will leave you torque starved...
Old 02-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
but if you want a coupe why not wait for the Boxster GTS?

Old 02-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Carlos,

Where do I send my check? If Porsche were to build that I'd be lining up to get one...

Quick Reply: DSG for Coupe?