Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Coupe and possible Clubsport

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster Coupe and possible Clubsport

As reported by Autoweek:
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101347

"The coupe version of Porsche’s entry-level Boxster roadster is set for launch next year as the Boxster GTS, but the German automaker is already considering a lightweight Clubsport version of the fixed-roof sports car. Tentatively planned for 2006, the stripped two-door Boxster GTS Clubsport (sans air conditioning, audio system and sound deadening) may serve as the basis for an extension of Porsche’s motorsport activities, say sources in Zuffenhausen.

Other changes include a more free-flowing exhaust to sharpen throttle response, a higher redline, and a lower final-drive ratio for improved off-the-line acceleration. Suspension changes have already netted lateral acceleration figures of up to 1.2 g, says our Porsche source."
Old 12-02-2004, 03:14 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the "entry-level" phrase.........as all of the Porsche senior PR people (and even the President) have forcefully stated that the new Coupe will be priced above the Boxster S......mainly it's a new line based on the Boxster chassis. I'm on the list for one, but if the pricing is that high, I'll be off the list in a hurry as I don't think the price will be justified......just more pork in Porsches pocket.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:39 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

I don't see how they can justify pricing it above the Boxster S. That puts it dangerously close to the 997. The whole reason I would buy a Boxster Coupe is because of the massive price differential between it and the 997. If it gets within $10k of the 997, there is no point to the Boxster Coupe, and it won't sell.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't disagree with your statements, but it seems Porsche is trying to avoid a repeat of the mid-80s, when the 944 Turbo outperformed the comparably priced 911.

I'd love to see an "entry level" priced Boxster Club Sport coupe. But Porsche are the masters of reducing content and increasing price (see, generally, the 996 GT2).
Old 12-06-2004, 09:57 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nickdtm
I don't see how they can justify pricing it above the Boxster S. That puts it dangerously close to the 997. The whole reason I would buy a Boxster Coupe is because of the massive price differential between it and the 997. If it gets within $10k of the 997, there is no point to the Boxster Coupe, and it won't sell.
I tend to agree, but I also tend to agree that many buyers of Porsches today are the "me just gotta have" type, less of the pure performance hawks of yesterday. So who knows, a $60k Boxster Coupe may sell well......but I won't be one of the buyers as it simply won't be worth it to me, and will definitely not be a "good buy" in the performance car world........lots of depreciation, horsepower already behind most others, way too expensive options, tons of maintenance issues still cropping up.

Said it before, say it again........give me a Boxster S coupe with a few nice options for $50K - $54K and I'll be very happy.......anything else is just another Porsche money grabbing joke on the public.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:06 PM
NTI 911E
Old School
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeN
Said it before, say it again........give me a Boxster S coupe with a few nice options for $50K - $54K and I'll be very happy.......anything else is just another Porsche money grabbing joke on the public.
I'd pay $50k for even a standard Boxster coupe (with some options). Now that it has 240hp, that's sufficient for me (same power as my current car). However if the final price was over $55k, it would not be worth it for me for either the Boxster or the S. I would just bite the bullet and go for a base 997. Now clearly that makes me a customer Porsche would love, but it seems to negate the point of the developing costs and time put into a separate model range if no one buys it because it's so close to the 997 in price.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm visiting from the 997 forum... I've been planning to go 997 once my M3 business lease is up and a few things are turning me off to the 997. What was once a raw sports car is now a luxury cruiser (I'm over simplifying). I complained to my dealer about all the buttons, the computer screen, the dash wart, the trick suspension, the standard sunroof, etc. He summed it up - the 997 is now built for doctors and lawyers who want an automatic transmission, luxurious interior, and GPS navigation... The alternative for them is an "old person's" Benz... I asked my dealer about the 997s with sport suspension (Euro option to delete PASM), no sunroof, etc. - wasn't happy with the answer.

So where is the Porsche for the old fashioned enthusiast? I think it might be the new Boxster Coupe. How great would that be - a 300 HP light weight track monster that will be happy on the street every day too...
Old 12-07-2004, 10:15 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT
So where is the Porsche for the old fashioned enthusiast? I think it might be the new Boxster Coupe. How great would that be - a 300 HP light weight track monster that will be happy on the street every day too...
First.....there's no doubt a Club Sport Boxster Coupe would be an awesome car, but no one has even mentioned 300HP (don't think it will hit this mark anyway) and for that matter whether it will even be sold in the states......most say it won't, but you never know.

Second....how much would you be willing to pay for lets say a 280-290 HP Club Sport??.......$55k?? $60K?? Porsche has pretty much stated that the new Coupe will be priced above the new Boxster S.......and a club sport package has always cost more from Porsche.......so that pretty much puts it in the $60k range.

Coming from an M3 with 333HP, with at least better straight line performance and a slightly lower price tag......would you be happy with the whole package?
Really curious.

BTW......the M3 (E46 or next gen) is my alternative in case the new Coupe does not work out for me.......how has yours treated you??
Old 12-07-2004, 11:03 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I read a release about the Club Sport and it showed 2 engines for the Coupe (230 and 280 hp) and then 300 for the Club Sport. Of course now I can't find the link.

My M3 has treated me pretty well. It's happy on the street as well as the track. Handling is great, power is just fine. It's a bit heavy and muted - they took the "raw" qualities of the E36 M3 right out of it to make it a "quasi-luxury-cruiser". So many non-enthusiasts are loading them up with sunroofs, GPS, power everything... I'm generalizing - putting people into two camps - the "raw" and the "refined".

There is no way I'd consider the E90 M3. The only thing I'd probably long for is the reported 400 hp V8. Other than that, expect SMG only (per BMW), i-drive (maybe only with GPS - so maybe there's hope), over assisted suspension, steering, and even headlights (adaptive), and finally the unatractive exterior.

That's why I'm converting to Porsche when my business lease ends. So, I've been set on a 997 - but I wanted the S engine, no PASM, no sunroof, manual controls inside (instead of a computer screen), etc. Guess what - doesn't exist. So, I'm now wondering if the Boxster Coupe might bring back a "raw" fun-to-drive coupe that is comfortable on the street and a blast on the track.

In the end, perhaps a 993 Turbo is where I should be looking to find what I'm looking for...
Old 12-07-2004, 11:24 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonCT
I read a release about the Club Sport and it showed 2 engines for the Coupe (230 and 280 hp) and then 300 for the Club Sport. Of course now I can't find the link.

My M3 has treated me pretty well. It's happy on the street as well as the track. Handling is great, power is just fine. It's a bit heavy and muted - they took the "raw" qualities of the E36 M3 right out of it to make it a "quasi-luxury-cruiser". So many non-enthusiasts are loading them up with sunroofs, GPS, power everything... I'm generalizing - putting people into two camps - the "raw" and the "refined".

There is no way I'd consider the E90 M3. The only thing I'd probably long for is the reported 400 hp V8. Other than that, expect SMG only (per BMW), i-drive (maybe only with GPS - so maybe there's hope), over assisted suspension, steering, and even headlights (adaptive), and finally the unatractive exterior.

That's why I'm converting to Porsche when my business lease ends. So, I've been set on a 997 - but I wanted the S engine, no PASM, no sunroof, manual controls inside (instead of a computer screen), etc. Guess what - doesn't exist. So, I'm now wondering if the Boxster Coupe might bring back a "raw" fun-to-drive coupe that is comfortable on the street and a blast on the track.

In the end, perhaps a 993 Turbo is where I should be looking to find what I'm looking for...
Hey Ron, thanks for the M3 info......I'm pretty much on board with your E90 comments......I actually don't mind the exterior of the new 3, its the interior that bugs me the most......looks like something out of a '73 Buick. I love the present version......exterior and interior seem perfect to me.

Most of the Club Sport articles I have seen say it will have a revised exhaust and of course less weight, but no real engine mods.......the exhaust may get the 280hp engine up to 290 or so.......but who knows.......Porsche really *needs* to put 300 in it to at least justify some of the price.

I agree with your comments of the 997, it's a great car but Porsche needs to build a car for the purist again......or at least one that can be de-optioned to our satisfaction. Porsche has really missed out by not having built a lower range lean coupe all these years.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:53 PM
uncle buck
Instructor

Fixed roofs are far less expensive to manufacture and Porsche has traditionally charged about $9-10K for the privilege of dropping the top. If the cost of a Boxster coupe is going to be the same or higher than the standard roadster, there should be a serious hardware upgrade.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:19 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeN
and a club sport package has always cost more from Porsche
The 964 RS America (not labeled a "Club Sport" of course, but similar notion) was priced less than the C2 of the day (~$5k). Unfortunately most folks optioned back in the sunroof, radio, and ac...
Old 12-21-2004, 05:03 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

RonCT: Have you looked into a 997 GT3? From what I understand it will be the "raw" version of the 997 (like the 996 GT3 is to the 996). Although I am unsure of the pricing. Sounds like it might be exactly what you are looking for. A friend of mine is already on the list, so I suspect it will not be the same 4 year delay (to the US) as the 996 GT3.

One thing to think about is that the 987 is going to be 997 with 2 seats and a mid-engine. I.e. I don't think it's going to be any less luxo-cruiser than the 997. I would not expect the Coupe version to vary from that model greatly. So you may be putting your hopes in the wrong model. Of course if we do see a CS version then I would expect it to follow in the pattern which the GT3 has taken in relation to the 996/997.

Disclaimer: This is all speculation. I have no direct knowledge of the inner workings at PAG. So I could be totally off-base.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously, by the time the boxster coupe club sport comes out, I'm either getting that or the 997 GT3. From the sound of this board, it seems like they'll be the same price. Either one seems like a kickass car.

Quick Reply: Boxster Coupe and possible Clubsport