Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Coupe pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 05:17 AM
Z0650th
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 300 hp Boxster coupe at the price of a Boxster S ragtop would suit me just fine. I'll take mine in light blue
Old 09-30-2004, 10:18 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M Danger
from what ive heard is should be about the same, I called PCNA, and they guy i spoke to figured that the there should be some performance improvements over the roadster, but since its NOT a convertible the price should even out.
Said it would have about 300 hp
Sounds like this guy was smokin' something.

I see the coupe coming out with the exact 240/280 HP engines as the roadsters with *maybe* a slightly higher HP Club Sport coupe coming out later.....but even then I don't think the 300HP line will be crossed......look for like 290-295.....along with a little less weight.......just my opinion.

The performance gain for the coupe will be the stiffer structure and lower weight.......maybe a 100-200 lb savings.

As far as price goes......who knows. But with all the compitition in the sport coupe/sedan market today......they better make it good. I'd like to see the base coupe starting in the $38K range, with the S version starting in the mid 40's.......but in all honesty I think they will be slightly higher. I base my figures
on the fact that a 911 cab is about $10K more than a coupe. Given that the Boxster is a less expensive model......I look for a $4k - $5k diff between the Boxster coupe and roadster. Of course this could all be shot to hell in short order!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:50 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont believe there is supposed to be a base model, i think the coupe will only be as an S though one report said it might be called the "GTS"
Id be happy if it was 50, well id be really happy if it was 38,(yeah right)
ive already put my name down at one dealer, ill see if i can pull any teeth
Old 09-30-2004, 02:03 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

i dont believe there is supposed to be a base model, i think the coupe will only be as an S though one report said it might be called the "GTS"
Id be happy if it was 50, well id be really happy if it was 38,(yeah right)
ive already put my name down at one dealer, ill see if i can pull any teeth
Ya it will really be interesting to see how it turns out. I really don't see the $38K either.......I'm sure there's some Porsche edict that says "Nothing under $40K shall pass through these factory doors!"

I still think there will be two versions though......base and S......only makes sense to do so......but who knows. Agree on the $50K mark.......if I can get a light to medium optioned 280HP coupe for around that price I would be *very* happy. Have my name on the list also.....now the wait and nagging begin.....
Old 09-30-2004, 04:03 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Anyone ever notice how all porsche Prototypes have Euro plates with S*GO on them??? Always makes me think of the S-car-Go joke.
S*GO -plates are factory's more or less official test- & press car plates.Factory yards at Stuttgart are full of cars with those plates.

And that "S" stands for Stuttgart.

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 09-30-2004, 05:36 PM
ribbonspeakers
Intermediate

How many more inches of leg, shoulder &/or headroom might you estimate the '05 Boxster will have vs. the '04? Thanks a ton!

We sure live in a great country when our concern is roadster or coupe, don't ya think?
Jim R.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Rear end looks like a Crossfire.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:56 PM
SoonerE39
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeN
Sounds like this guy was smokin' something.

I see the coupe coming out with the exact 240/280 HP engines as the roadsters with *maybe* a slightly higher HP Club Sport coupe coming out later.....but even then I don't think the 300HP line will be crossed......look for like 290-295.....along with a little less weight.......just my opinion.

The performance gain for the coupe will be the stiffer structure and lower weight.......maybe a 100-200 lb savings.

As far as price goes......who knows. But with all the compitition in the sport coupe/sedan market today......they better make it good. I'd like to see the base coupe starting in the $38K range, with the S version starting in the mid 40's.......but in all honesty I think they will be slightly higher. I base my figures
on the fact that a 911 cab is about $10K more than a coupe. Given that the Boxster is a less expensive model......I look for a $4k - $5k diff between the Boxster coupe and roadster. Of course this could all be shot to hell in short order!
I agree, they aren't going to stuff too much power into the smaller, lighter Boxster and make it as fast as the 997 at the expense of 997 sales.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:03 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

I dont know, they did it with the 951's
With any luck porsche will realize that not everyone wants a 911.
Ill be turbocharging mine, it will be mini carrera gt when i get done.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:24 AM
saphriel
Instructor

I dont know, they did it with the 951's.
Precisely. The 951 was beating 911's on the track. Same logic would follow with the Boxster if it was given more power. In fact this was cited as the reason why the Boxster was not allowed to go racing. Here's a bit of insight from the book "Porsche Boxster"(1998) by John Lamm:

Company chairman Wendelin Wiedeking has made it quite clear that he doesn't want a competition version of the midengine sports car, saying, "Our racing activites will only be done with the 911. We race with the 911 because it is our top of the line. My intention is that the Boxster and the 911 will not race against each other. It doesn't make sense to me."
"I have to handle the brand, I have to handle the money, and it doesn't make sense to give money to people who try to beat the 911. This happened in the past in our organization with the 944 Turbo. The project leaders sought to beat the 911. You should beat your competitors, not yourself."

Whether he's reconsidered that position may determine if we'll even see a Boxster coupe (let alone a Club Sport)?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:53 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

well that may be true, but the platform alone will be enough, In a race version of the boxster a 911 motor should fit if so desired, even if you have to cut up the rear floor. And its not like owners can't strip the car of uneeded weight easily, I.E. interior, accecories etc..
If i can build a turbo kit, with some other performance tweeks, for about 10k, putting 450hp down, I think that will sell
Old 10-05-2004, 02:41 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

If the boxster was given as much power, the engine, brakes and everything else would have to be increased/upgraded. The price would be increased as well. Then you'd have a 911 priced boxster which aint gona sell.
They came out with the boxster to reach a different market.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:18 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Jumper,Boxster S suspension is fine and already has 911 brakes...
Old 10-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Moogle
Race Car

to the guy that asked about prices

the coupes should be a few thousand less than the roadsters, but they will make sure the lowest one does NOT dip under 40k USD
Old 10-06-2004, 10:51 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moogle
to the guy that asked about prices

the coupes should be a few thousand less than the roadsters, but they will make sure the lowest one does NOT dip under 40k USD
Totally agree, and also corresponds with the latest Boxster Coupe blurb from Motor Trend........both S and non-S versions will be sold and the price will be less than the roadster......but from the way it sounded......it won't be much....

So what do you guys think about the pricing?......should Porsche even think about putting something out with a less than $40K tag?? My position is that they don't.......and I am sure I might get flamed for this.......but I really don't want this car to be as common as most of the other sport coupes out there
today, and if it takes a higher price to do it......so be it. If it takes a couple of extra $K to make daddy think more about a 350z for his daughters graduation present.....then it's well worth it. OK, there I said it......should I be ashamed of myself?

Quick Reply: Boxster Coupe pics!!