Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Seat Heater Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:45 AM
sweinland
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 987.2 Seat Heater Questions

So I love my Base 2011 987.2 Boxster. It has the power adjustable seats, but the original buyer did not purchase the heated seats option. I fell in love with these on my first 2005 Boxster and want to add that feature now.

In doing my research I've heard that some cars with power seats may have had seat heaters installed, but not connected or turned on (no switch in the climate control center). So my question to the group is - how would I know if my power seats have the heater elements installed without taking the leather off the seat? I assume there's a connector that's not connected to a wiring harness somewhere if this is the case but I don't know what to look for. Leads me to question #1 for the group...
1) Does anybody here have a photo of the bottom of their heated seats on a 987.2 Boxster so that I could see what connector to look for to know if the heating elements might be in the seats already?

A corollary to that question. If I can determine that my car does have the heated seat bolsters installed - it looks like in the main console that the heated seat switches would go just above the climate control unit in the section that has the air temperature sensor, etc. Which leads to question #2 -

2) Does anybody know the part number for a 987.2 (2011 Base Boxster) console component that has the seat heater selector buttons?

Many Thanks,
Stephan
The following users liked this post:
RobbopsRobbops (12-16-2022)
Old 04-07-2018, 06:47 PM
sweinland
Rennlist Member

I'm continuing to put this project together slowly.

So for the 987.2 the model number for the center console part numbers are...
997 653 203 02 – for the basic climate control console with no seat heater buttons (the one I currently have)
997 653 211 02 – for the version with seat heating*- the one I need to install
997 653 221 02 – for the version with heating and ventilation - for the version with both seat heaters and the seat ventilation option (one I'm not interested in going that far).

I bought the climate control with seat heaters center console section (for $300). I've got the 12 way seats option but still need to know which seats I have (regular seats vs. comfort seats vs. sport seats). I think I have just regular seats. But I'm still looking for pictures of the bottom of seats and of the seat heater plugs/wiring harnesses if anybody has a picture of those. (see message above).
Old 04-17-2018, 02:11 PM
sweinland
Rennlist Member

Purchased the AC Climate control with seat heating option and installed it over the weekend in 20 minutes. It's plug and play with all other options. Lights for seat heaters turn on - but I guess my seats didn't have the heating element installed and no connection to the seat heater switch. So the lights turn on, but no heat in the seat. Curious to me that the seat heating indicator light would turn on with no connection though. I'm taking the car to the dealer on Friday for an alignment (steering wheel is 5% off center or so) and will ask for some more information from them. Still don't know if it's a matter of just getting the seat heater elements and plugging it into the under seat connectors OR if I need to run a separate connector from the seats to the AC controller in the dash. That's what I hope to figure out next.

Still looking for any pictures of undersides of 12 way power seats with heat to see what that seat heater connector looks like.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

Could be that your wiring harness to the seats doesn't have the wires and plug for the heated seats option. Just a guess. I've attached a few pics I have of what I believe are 14 way heated seats just for info. Can't really tell you what is what under there however. I have a 2014 981 with heated sport seats fyi.

The following 2 users liked this post by Viper pilot:
rdcyclist (12-17-2022), RobbopsRobbops (12-16-2022)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:58 AM
sweinland
Rennlist Member

Thank you! All pics/information welcome as I put this puzzle together!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:00 AM
sweinland
Rennlist Member

So at dealership for something else the other day was told a few things that I don't know whether to believe or not...

1) Heated seats are actually connected to the AC Controller Via the front computer/gateway. Can anybody confirm this?
2) The only way to tell if your seats have heating elements in them or not is to remove the seat and peel back the leather to look? There must be seat heat connections somewhere along with a wiring diagram in a shop manual somewhere.

The roadblocks I'm running into for this project appear to me to be based on blind leading the blind. But I love my car and working on it, so I'm not giving up.

I have a call into DC Automotive to see if they can help me put wiring and necessary resources together. I'm assembling a Manhattan Project like team to retrofit factory seat heaters into my Boxster. Need a better name for the project though. I'm open to suggestions.
Stephan
Old 05-01-2018, 11:12 PM
sweinland
Rennlist Member

Latest on this project...
Bought a durametric pro to see what would happen if I 'turned on' seat heating option in the front controller (think that's where I found that option). I turned it on and.... nothing... but it's a hot day so it took me a while to figure out that it wasn't working. Talk about a "placebo effect"....i was positive it was working but then I went for a drive and couldn't tell the difference between on and off. So it wasn't...

To recap....I bought a new AC controller from a 987.2 with seat heating option and installed it on my own (10 minute job). I looked at the wiring connections coming from the Vehicle Electrical System Controller and matched up wires with what I thought might be seat heating wires so thought..."Maybe I just need to turn it on with a durametric". So bought the durametric pro.... That's actually a cool tool. While I was at it I changed the auto lock feature and turned my side marker lights into lane change indicators.

So...as of now... no seat heat, BUT, it's looking like I need to get seat heating pads installed (or buy used 12 way seats with heaters in them) as my next step. If that doesn't work I'll need to get the heating pads and run wires from front controller to the seats. We'll see.... hold up may be finding 12 way, gray seats with heating elements in good condition for a 2011 987.2. Still having fun working it all out and am excited to be able to help others with the durametric in my local community.
The following 2 users liked this post by sweinland:
Old 05-10-2018, 12:26 AM
sweinland
Rennlist Member

So I looked at my seat connector tonight. Pictures attached here. I still have non heated seats but I'm wondering if it's just missing a spade connector in one of these pinouts to activate the heaters (if they are in the seats..still can't tell). I've gone over wiring diagrams but all they show is that there is a connection under the seat...doesn't say what goes where.

So todays question is, on the attached picture of my under seat connector... which pinouts go to the seat heaters? I have 12 way power seats without heat at the moment.. When I add heating elements I assume they'll go into this connector (let me know if I'm wrong...please).

No spade connectors anywhere on the left side of this picture.... is this where the seat heater connection would be?
The following 2 users liked this post by sweinland:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:19 PM
Djglade
8th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

More than 5 years later…did you get this working? I’m looking at a 987.2 tomorrow and non-heated seats are a deal breaker for the wife? Curious about the solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by Djglade:
Old 12-16-2022, 11:03 PM
RobbopsRobbops
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts"...I'LL FIX THIS
rdcyclist (12-17-2022)

Quick Reply: 987.2 Seat Heater Questions