Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All over the map: From 911, to 911 Turbo and now to Base 981 Cayman. A comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:05 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default All over the map: From 911, to 911 Turbo and now to Base 981 Cayman. A comparison.

Hello all. I've been a Rennlister since 2015 and a Porsche enthusiast since I started driving (going on 23 years now). I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this read, but I figured I'd post some of my thoughts on comparing the Cayman to the 911 and the 911 Turbo, as well as some other sports cars. I will try not to make this too long, but if anyone wants more detail feel free to post or PM me. I like discussing cars and it isn't a bother.

Background
I've been fortunate to have had the experience of driving all types of cool sports and sporty cars. I've owned an S2000 (twice, one NA and virtually stock, and one with an aftermarket turbo), a BMW 335i (tuned), a Lexus ISF (Japanese muscle car), a 2015 Mustang GT (iconic American muscle car), and of course the two other Porsches... a 997.2 C2 and then a 997.1 TT. I've owned some other cars in the mix and driven many more, so even though I haven't driven all types of cars, I've had some experience across many different types of fun vehicles. With the exception of my first S2000 and the BMW 335i, none of the cars on the list have been true daily drivers. I've taken most of the cars to the drag strip for some quartermile fun, and a couple to the auto-x, but I've never done a HPDE. All 3 Porsches that I've now owned were purchased understanding that they would not see more than perhaps 5K miles per year, so my views are not taking into account "daily drive-ability" as a factor.

2015 Cayman initial impressions
This car has the least amount of horsepower of any sports/sporty car that I've owned since my very first S2000 back in 2005. I was apprehensive at first, thinking I'd be disappointed in the lack of power, but I took seriously the recommendations from the experts that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I also went with the 6MT even though I know the PDK is faster, because I wanted the experience of rowing my own gears. So essentially, I bought the slowest possible configuration Porsche makes. In a time where even your basic Japanese family sedan has 300hp, it is very hard not to get sucked up into the horsepower wars. I had to stop for a minute and think back on my driving habits for the last 20+ years. Despite the fact that I've had cars that could run in excess of 170mph or the quartermile in under 12 seconds, 99.8% of my driving is spent on the streets, and therefore not anywhere close to those limits. Even when I'm doing a spirited drive through the countryside, I keep things reasonable... preferring to hear the engine sing in the higher RPM range even if I'm going only 40mph around a corner rather than trying some dangerous and illegal top speed run. So essentially, I've had a lot of wasted horsepower.

The 981 Base Cayman is just a delightful car. The precision on turn-in is exactly what all the reviews said it was. I've never had a car that felt so direct when making turn or taking a corner. Point and shoot. It feels like I'm driving a kart. The handling is obviously why people buy these cars. It feels light, like my S2000 did, and I like the cockpit feel of the interior. Coming from larger cars, including the two 911s, it feels like the right size. Most importantly (to me) it feels like the exact type of car I need to learn how to drive on the track.

I have another thread going that was started before the purchase of this car where I wonder whether or not I was skimping too much on the options, since this is a very low-optioned build. Surprisingly, the only option that is glaringly missing is the fact that I have the most base-model stereo unit Porsche produces. It's horrible. Of course I love listening to the engine and exhaust mostly... but sometimes when just cruising about, some tunes would be nice. Better sound comes from a set of headphones plugged into my phone than the Porsche base stereo. I didn't anticipate wanting to spend money to address that, but I may have to add an aftermarket amplifier and some better speakers after all. I also plan on adding a few other wants... like the X73 suspension, the sports steering wheel and the PSE. Those are not must haves though, just wants.

Drawbacks of the Cayman compared to the 911s
So let me be the first to admit that I'm not trying to say the Cayman is objectively better than the 911. It's different. And when price is factored in, which for most of us it must be, it may be the better value. But I would have to venture a guess that the "perfect" Porsche for me would be the 997.2 GT3, and not a base model Cayman. First, my base 997.2 911 was a great car. In many (most) ways, I liked it better than my Turbo. I prefer RWD to AWD and I preferred the obvious weight difference. The 911 felt larger and heavier than the Cayman, but only slightly so. And the 345hp mated to the PDK transmission was noticeably faster and quicker. However, I personally think the 981 is just silly fun in a way the 911 was not. It's like a toy. I feel like saying "weeeeeee!" when I'm driving it. And again, it's the car I'd rather take to a track. Plus, and this is totally subjective of course, but I think the 981 is the prettier body style. In fact, outside of the 918, I think the 981 Cayman when properly set up is the best LOOKING car that Porsche has produced in the modern era (with the 993 widebody being the best of all time, but I digress).

The lack of power is only really evident when you downshift and expect that punch of acceleration, and realize there's not a heck of a lot there. The car goes faster and makes some great sounds, but it doesn't push you back in the seats really. This car is not meant for high speed highway passing, and I'm assuming I'll also notice it on the straights of the track. Corners are way more fun though.

Speaking of highway passing... the 911 Turbo is a sledgehammer. My goodness was that car fast. And it was plush. It was a luxury sports car in every way. Despite the now-dated interior of the 997.1, it still was obviously an original $135K MSRP car. It had all the features and functions, and the acceleration was just bananas. But it also felt heavy, and I don't particularly care for the feel of an AWD sports car. Many people have said if you had to pick one car to daily drive, the 911 Turbo should be considered. I can see that. It sounds outlandish, but the car is surprisingly comfortable and could easily be taken on a nice two person weekend road trip. I guess I just didn't know it at the time I purchased it, but for a 2nd car/weekend warrior I just personally prefer something a bit more pure sports car. I know I'm not the only one to have gone from a 911 Turbo to a base Cayman, but I suspect there aren't many that have made that move. When you're talking about a 2nd car though, it doesn't seem so crazy to make the switch.

In Conclusion
If you want a pure driver's sports car, the base Cayman fits the bill perfectly. It's proof you can get the Porsche driving experience in a newer car with modern feel and tech for a reasonable price. It's a great 2nd vehicle to have and I can't wait to start tracking and autocrossing it. Essentially it is the first Porsche I've owned that I honestly feel like driving the way it was built to be driven.

And finally, a quick pic:

Additional pics with a few of my new modifications:

Last edited by vbb; 02-25-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: addt'l pics
Old 02-11-2018, 09:19 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 607 Posts

good read
small world. I also have owned a bunch of cars including 2 s2000 . 2006 stock , and 2005 with a turbo
Old 02-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Great write up! I love reading well written reviews of various cars to get others thoughts and feedback, I think it’s a great way to vicariously sample a range of cars.

On your Cayman try messing with the audio settings. I have the base stereo in my Spyder and while I know it’s not exactly the same I do find it sounds pretty good once you get the settings right. I had to use the fader to move the sound forward in the cabin and then I adjusted the bass and treble to my taste. Most don’t seem to mess with the fader but it makes a big difference. Worth a shot before you buy a new system and increase the cars weight.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Great write up! I love reading well written reviews of various cars to get others thoughts and feedback, I think it’s a great way to vicariously sample a range of cars.

On your Cayman try messing with the audio settings. I have the base stereo in my Spyder and while I know it’s not exactly the same I do find it sounds pretty good once you get the settings right. I had to use the fader to move the sound forward in the cabin and then I adjusted the bass and treble to my taste. Most don’t seem to mess with the fader but it makes a big difference. Worth a shot before you buy a new system and increase the cars weight.
Thanks. I have played with the settings (bass, mid, treble) but I haven't tried adjusting the fader. I'll do that next. The weight from an amp, wires and replacement speakers will be under 10lbs total if I do go that route though. I'd rather not spend money on the stereo unless I truly can't stand the stock tolerate, so hopefully I can get the settings right. I'll probably just deal with it.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the sound plus option in my spyder and that was awfull sounding as well.

upgrade with an pioneer app radio and Blam composet on the original amp. That made all the difference in sound qualiy wilst being pretty affordable.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:49 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Hello all. I've been a Rennlister since 2015 and a Porsche enthusiast since I started driving (going on 23 years now). I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this read, but I figured I'd post some of my thoughts on comparing the Cayman to the 911 and the 911 Turbo, as well as some other sports cars. I will try not to make this too long, but if anyone wants more detail feel free to post or PM me. I like discussing cars and it isn't a bother.

Background
I've been fortunate to have had the experience of driving all types of cool sports and sporty cars. I've owned an S2000 (twice, one NA and virtually stock, and one with an aftermarket turbo), a BMW 335i (tuned), a Lexus ISF (Japanese muscle car), a 2015 Mustang GT (iconic American muscle car), and of course the two other Porsches... a 997.2 C2 and then a 997.1 TT. I've owned some other cars in the mix and driven many more, so even though I haven't driven all types of cars, I've had some experience across many different types of fun vehicles. With the exception of my first S2000 and the BMW 335i, none of the cars on the list have been true daily drivers. I've taken most of the cars to the drag strip for some quartermile fun, and a couple to the auto-x, but I've never done a HPDE. All 3 Porsches that I've now owned were purchased understanding that they would not see more than perhaps 5K miles per year, so my views are not taking into account "daily drive-ability" as a factor.

2015 Cayman initial impressions
This car has the least amount of horsepower of any sports/sporty car that I've owned since my very first S2000 back in 2005. I was apprehensive at first, thinking I'd be disappointed in the lack of power, but I took seriously the recommendations from the experts that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I also went with the 6MT even though I know the PDK is faster, because I wanted the experience of rowing my own gears. So essentially, I bought the slowest possible configuration Porsche makes. In a time where even your basic Japanese family sedan has 300hp, it is very hard not to get sucked up into the horsepower wars. I had to stop for a minute and think back on my driving habits for the last 20+ years. Despite the fact that I've had cars that could run in excess of 170mph or the quartermile in under 12 seconds, 99.8% of my driving is spent on the streets, and therefore not anywhere close to those limits. Even when I'm doing a spirited drive through the countryside, I keep things reasonable... preferring to hear the engine sing in the higher RPM range even if I'm going only 40mph around a corner rather than trying some dangerous and illegal top speed run. So essentially, I've had a lot of wasted horsepower.

The 981 Base Cayman is just a delightful car. The precision on turn-in is exactly what all the reviews said it was. I've never had a car that felt so direct when making turn or taking a corner. Point and shoot. It feels like I'm driving a kart. The handling is obviously why people buy these cars. It feels light, like my S2000 did, and I like the cockpit feel of the interior. Coming from larger cars, including the two 911s, it feels like the right size. Most importantly (to me) it feels like the exact type of car I need to learn how to drive on the track.

I have another thread going that was started before the purchase of this car where I wonder whether or not I was skimping too much on the options, since this is a very low-optioned build. Surprisingly, the only option that is glaringly missing is the fact that I have the most base-model stereo unit Porsche produces. It's horrible. Of course I love listening to the engine and exhaust mostly... but sometimes when just cruising about, some tunes would be nice. Better sound comes from a set of headphones plugged into my phone than the Porsche base stereo. I didn't anticipate wanting to spend money to address that, but I may have to add an aftermarket amplifier and some better speakers after all. I also plan on adding a few other wants... like the X73 suspension, the sports steering wheel and the PSE. Those are not must haves though, just wants.

Drawbacks of the Cayman compared to the 911s
So let me be the first to admit that I'm not trying to say the Cayman is objectively better than the 911. It's different. And when price is factored in, which for most of us it must be, it may be the better value. But I would have to venture a guess that the "perfect" Porsche for me would be the 997.2 GT3, and not a base model Cayman. First, my base 997.2 911 was a great car. In many (most) ways, I liked it better than my Turbo. I prefer RWD to AWD and I preferred the obvious weight difference. The 911 felt larger and heavier than the Cayman, but only slightly so. And the 345hp mated to the PDK transmission was noticeably faster and quicker. However, I personally think the 981 is just silly fun in a way the 911 was not. It's like a toy. I feel like saying "weeeeeee!" when I'm driving it. And again, it's the car I'd rather take to a track. Plus, and this is totally subjective of course, but I think the 981 is the prettier body style. In fact, outside of the 918, I think the 981 Cayman when properly set up is the best LOOKING car that Porsche has produced in the modern era (with the 993 widebody being the best of all time, but I digress).

The lack of power is only really evident when you downshift and expect that punch of acceleration, and realize there's not a heck of a lot there. The car goes faster and makes some great sounds, but it doesn't push you back in the seats really. This car is not meant for high speed highway passing, and I'm assuming I'll also notice it on the straights of the track. Corners are way more fun though.

Speaking of highway passing... the 911 Turbo is a sledgehammer. My goodness was that car fast. And it was plush. It was a luxury sports car in every way. Despite the now-dated interior of the 997.1, it still was obviously an original $135K MSRP car. It had all the features and functions, and the acceleration was just bananas. But it also felt heavy, and I don't particularly care for the feel of an AWD sports car. Many people have said if you had to pick one car to daily drive, the 911 Turbo should be considered. I can see that. It sounds outlandish, but the car is surprisingly comfortable and could easily be taken on a nice two person weekend road trip. I guess I just didn't know it at the time I purchased it, but for a 2nd car/weekend warrior I just personally prefer something a bit more pure sports car. I know I'm not the only one to have gone from a 911 Turbo to a base Cayman, but I suspect there aren't many that have made that move. When you're talking about a 2nd car though, it doesn't seem so crazy to make the switch.

In Conclusion
If you want a pure driver's sports car, the base Cayman fits the bill perfectly. It's proof you can get the Porsche driving experience in a newer car with modern feel and tech for a reasonable price. It's a great 2nd vehicle to have and I can't wait to start tracking and autocrossing it. Essentially it is the first Porsche I've owned that I honestly feel like driving the way it was built to be driven.

And finally, a quick pic:
Right on, great feedback! I have never owned a 997 turbo but I have driven a few and would agree with your assessment. I have both a 2013 911S & a 2014 Cayman base, both MT, both Sport Chrono, both PSE, X51 on 911, X73 on Cayman - both are AWESOME to drive. As you stated, VERY different rides - there are things that appeal to me about both and the 911 is my favorite but I find the Cayman more "approachable" if that makes sense (maybe because of the more reasonable cost - I bought mine a few years ago when prices were still higher). I added both the X73 and PSE options to the Cayman - REALLY compliment the car. My ONE disappointment is I have the BASE sound system, I mean, not even SPP (unforgivable in a car of this generation & at this pricepoint). White is a great color for this car, isn't it? 😉 Best of luck & enjoy! -Dom

Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 AM
vbb
Pro

^Thanks, and you have excellent taste. You have the x73 suspension and the exact same wheels that I want to get as well! I like the white car/dark gray or black wheels look, but I want silver. I think it looks more classic, and the Carrera IIIs are perfect for this car. I've been search for some on sale preowned but they rarely pop up in the color I want.

Do you happen to have any more pics of your car you can post? Also, when you had the x73 installed, do you recall what the labor your shop charged was? I've heard as much as 11 hrs. Beauty of a car you have there! You even debadged the cayman from the rear, which is something I was going to do this week. You've done so many of the things I have planned.

Last edited by vbb; 02-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Here you go, I grabbed some more quick photos before my wife took it to work this morning..😁 Also, here's some feedback I provided on the x73 last month, let me know if you have any questions.

I installed the x73 suspension on a 981 base and it is fantastic!!! Both how the car sits and how it handles. We (my wife and I) do NOT find it too harsh (and our Cayman came with the factory option of 20 inch rims). On the contrary, I found the base suspension (which i believe is the same suspension as the BASE suspension on the S) too compliant when pushed. A couple of things to think about:

Clearance does change when you drop the car 20mm, but I have NOT had an issue with scraping.
We live in Florida (relatively flat roads with minimal potholes)
Keep an eye on classifieds - I found an x73 suspension that had been taken off a GTS for $450, including shipping. Needed to buy the sway bars ($250 for both from Sunset + shipping) - so less than half, all in, than from Suncoast.
Install was about 7-8 hours, and they will need to do an alignment, obviously

Best of luck! -Dom
Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM
jto24
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome write up! I sold my tuned F80 M3 DCT (500 RWHP) for the base Cayman 6mt with X73 suspension and have no regrets; it's even my daily driver It took a bit to get used to the power difference but, like you said, this thing is a blast! It's just so nimble and engaging. Do I miss huge turbo torque at times? Yes, but this is just so rewarding to drive. Plus I love how it looks parked (and when clean!!).

Old 02-12-2018, 10:41 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

After owning back to back 997 S models (.1 and .2) I drove a friend's base 987.2 Boxster and shortly thereafter sold the 997.2 S and bought my first 981 CS. Now to date I've had 5 mid engine Porsches and don't plan to return to a 911 unless it's a classic.

Also OP's story reminds me of transitioning from Japanese superbikes to Ducatis in the late 90s. The Ducati although less power than liter bikes at the time was more fun and you didn't have to go triple digits to have fun. More power doesn't mean more fun. In fact often the opposite unless fun to you is killing tires.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:56 AM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Great write up! same here, think the 981 is nice lil packaged p-car, and one of the best driver focused 6MTs you can buy with reasonable money. I didn't have the 911 Turbo, but a M4 / Turbo, and don't miss it at all. 981 is much more fun to drive and listen to.

Installed the X73, and it's been probably the best enhancement I've made to the car. write up here:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...it-981-cs.html

Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Base Cayman is, I believe, one of the best cars they make.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Base Cayman is, I believe, one of the best cars they make.
And, I think, the prettiest....biased of course.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:34 AM
vbb
Pro

Thanks everyone for the feedback and pics of your beautiful cars. It always helps to see pictures of some of the mods that I plan on doing so I can get a visual of what everything will look like. And to the guy that suggested looking on the classifieds for an X73 take off, I have been, but nothing is popping up. I'll probably end up getting it new from Suncoast or somewhere similar, and then one will pop up for sale for half the price a week later, haha.

I did get the GTS dual tail pipes on earlier this week. I think they look way better than the single oval outlet on the Base.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vbb
Thanks everyone for the feedback and pics of your beautiful cars. It always helps to see pictures of some of the mods that I plan on doing so I can get a visual of what everything will look like. And to the guy that suggested looking on the classifieds for an X73 take off, I have been, but nothing is popping up. I'll probably end up getting it new from Suncoast or somewhere similar, and then one will pop up for sale for half the price a week later, haha.

I did get the GTS dual tail pipes on earlier this week. I think they look way better than the single oval outlet on the Base.
Yeah, the classifieds route will take patience - I think it helped that I didn't know how GREAT the X73 was so I was kind of like "if it doesn't happen, oh well". Make sure you monitor P9 as well as they will have their own classifieds (that's where I found mine). I also had the oval tailpipe and bought the chrome dual tail pipes used (in EXCELLENT shape, and I am REALLY picky) for $200, including shipping to add to the Factory Sport exhaust option that I bought & installed brand new at Suncoast - highly recommend it. Good luck & enjoy! -Dom

Quick Reply: All over the map: From 911, to 911 Turbo and now to Base 981 Cayman. A comparison.