Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacer removal-countersunk screws don't want to come out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:24 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Wheel spacer removal-countersunk screws don't want to come out

The new-to-me 2015 981 BS came with wheel spacers (F:8mm/R:10mm). As I bought wider (by 1/2") wheels to replace the original, I was going to remove the spacers since the wheels will stick out too much otherwise. The countersunk screws keeping the spacer to the wheel hub were too tight to remove by a screw driver. I thought I could easily strip the Philips head by trying too hard. I ordered 3/8" drive screw driver bits and am waiting for them to arrive so I can use my ratchet to apply more torque. I would appreciate it if someone would show me an effective way to undo the countersunk screws without stripping the head.

On the other hand, my understanding was that the countersunk screws were there only to keep the spacers in place and it would be okay if I had to destroy them if they refused to come out. Then I saw the picture below in some other post in this forum (hope the OP wouldn't mind my posting the picture here). It doesn't seem there is a spacer in place but two countersunk screws are there. Are these screws serving some other purpose than to keep a spacer in place? Will I have to replace them if I damage them in the process of removing the spacers?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 PM
stevencr
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might try a small amount of penetrating oil or something similar being careful not to get in on the disk surface. Then use an impact driver....worked great for me. Those screws just hold the rotor in place.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:39 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevencr
You might try a small amount of penetrating oil or something similar being careful not to get in on the disk surface. Then use an impact driver....worked great for me. Those screws just hold the rotor in place.
Thanks! I only have pneumatic impact wrench and electric impact gun. Do you think I can use one of those with the screw driver bit?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Thanks! I only have pneumatic impact wrench and electric impact gun. Do you think I can use one of those with the screw driver bit?
Theoretically, but you need to be careful. It's easy to strip Phillips screws with an impact gun.

Those screws are like the ONE place I actually prefer an impact driver. Because you're hitting it sharply inwards with a hammer it's a lot more difficult to strip the heads of caliper screws using an impact driver.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:48 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

I may be off here, but that looks like the set screw for your brake rotor, not a spacer. Can you take a picture from just a bit further back?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
Theoretically, but you need to be careful. It's easy to strip Phillips screws with an impact gun.

Those screws are like the ONE place I actually prefer an impact driver. Because you're hitting it sharply inwards with a hammer it's a lot more difficult to strip the heads of caliper screws using an impact driver.
I gather you are referring to the manual impact driver. I think I will invest in one since they are not expensive. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:14 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
I gather you are referring to the manual impact driver. I think I will invest in one since they are not expensive. Thanks!
Manual impact driver would be best at jarring the shaft of the screw out but you can also just drill the heads off and use vise grips to remove the remaining post.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:41 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm with SeanR on this one. That looks like your rotor hat. The 8 and 15mm spacers are relatively thin pieces of metal. They usually aren't attached to anything as they cup the three metal lips on the hub (the rusted parts in your pic) and are sandwiched by the wheel. No screws needed.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by conceptDawg
I'm with SeanR on this one. That looks like your rotor hat. The 8 and 15mm spacers are relatively thin pieces of metal. They usually aren't attached to anything as they cup the three metal lips on the hub (the rusted parts in your pic) and are sandwiched by the wheel. No screws needed.
Presumably the OP (he says) has high jacked the picture from another thread. It doesn't show spacers. Some spacers will come with screws that attach them to the hub after the existing screws (as shown) are removed. It's a belt and suspenders solution and not necessary, IMHO.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
Presumably the OP (he says) has high jacked the picture from another thread. It doesn't show spacers. Some spacers will come with screws that attach them to the hub after the existing screws (as shown) are removed. It's a belt and suspenders solution and not necessary, IMHO.
You are right. I stole the picture from another thread because I didn't want to high jack his thread. Using countersunk screws to keep a spacer in place is not necessary but helpful on a car that uses wheel bolts like Porsche instead of studs.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual impact is a good idea.

You can also try to heat the screw a bit. There is a good amount of rust there, and some heat wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here’s another vote for an impact driver. I’ve had to use one a couple of times on brake rotor screws over the years.
Spacers are usually screwed to the rotor, and IIRC my spacers came with replacement screws that were longer in length to accommodate the spacer thickness.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:53 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Impact driver. Common issue. Folks tighten these things like they're the only thing holding a rotor on after assembly. Corrosion doesn't help.

One or two whacks and you're done.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...FY1iAQod0ikO5w

Good Luck!

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:41 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokayman
Here’s another vote for an impact driver. I’ve had to use one a couple of times on brake rotor screws over the years.
Spacers are usually screwed to the rotor, and IIRC my spacers came with replacement screws that were longer in length to accommodate the spacer thickness.
Good point. I will pick up the regular length screws from my local dealer tomorrow as I am going there for a PCA gathering. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Impact driver. Common issue. Folks tighten these things like they're the only thing holding a rotor on after assembly. Corrosion doesn't help.

One or two whacks and you're done.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...FY1iAQod0ikO5w

Good Luck!

Dave
Thanks for the link. I just ordered that one.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer removal-countersunk screws don't want to come out