Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacer removal-countersunk screws don't want to come out

Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A few drops of Liquid Wrench on each of the machine screws might be helpful.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:57 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jdavis8361
A few drops of Liquid Wrench on each of the machine screws might be helpful.
I'm thinking the pros and cons on this. While it should help the screws to turn, it could make stripping the head easier since it is almost impossible not to get the stuff on the head....
Old 02-09-2018, 01:18 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're worried about stripping the heads (regardless of whether Liquid Wrench has been applied), a tab of screwdriver grip paste on the heads can help reduce the likelihood of that happening.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:31 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdavis8361
If you're worried about stripping the heads (regardless of whether Liquid Wrench has been applied), a tab of screwdriver grip paste on the heads can help reduce the likelihood of that happening.
Thank you! Learn new things every day! Just ordered this thing to give it a shot:

https://gitta-grip.com/
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 951 Likes on 566 Posts

Like others have said, a manual impact driver is the optimum tool (and this exact task is about all I use mine for). And heat is your friend.

Don't sweat this one. Even if you strip the Philips slots, you can drill off the screw heads (and once removing the spacers/disk) have access to get solvent on the threads and grip the screw shaft directly.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:36 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Thanks to those who pointed me to the manual impact driver, the job got done without any issue. The tool worked like a charm.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

It is a tool you will never regret having. If you're like me, the biggest issue will be remembering where you put it when the occasional need does actually come up.

Cheers!

Dave
Old 02-19-2018, 04:49 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, I had the same issue while changing my rotors. Using a ratchet for extra torque easily removed the screws without stripping.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:34 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 951 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by PCarOMFS
OP, I had the same issue while changing my rotors. Using a ratchet for extra torque easily removed the screws without stripping.
The impact wrench has more torque, plus the hammer blow forces the bit into the screw head reducing the chance for stripping.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 AM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
The impact wrench has more torque, plus the hammer blow forces the bit into the screw head reducing the chance for stripping.
Using an impact wrench to remove a rotor set screw is like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. These screws are only hand tightened and stick because they rust a bit. I loose them all the time just from driving the car as they back out. I’d be concerned using an impact wrench would snap the screw head off anyway.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCarOMFS

Using an impact wrench to remove a rotor set screw is like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly. These screws are only hand tightened and stick because they rust a bit. I loose them all the time just from driving the car as they back out. I’d be concerned using an impact wrench would snap the screw head off anyway.
You may be referring to an either pneumatic or electric impact wrench? The manual impact driver that I used for the job was nowhere near those in the torque department. I can't imagine that it can generate enough torque to snap the screw head off. Having actually done the job, I can now see that a ratchet with a screw driver bit could have done the job just as well, though.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:45 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Very easy to remove. All you need is this :
Amazon Amazon

By the way, those screws are not for retaining spacers, but rather your rotor if you do a brake job. No need to remove it if you are not touching the brake rotors. Spacers with eccentric centers will center itself when you attach it to the hub.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:03 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henryting
Very easy to remove. All you need is this :
https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...+screw+remover

By the way, those screws are not for retaining spacers, but rather your rotor if you do a brake job. No need to remove it if you are not touching the brake rotors. Spacers with eccentric centers will center itself when you attach it to the hub.
The tool you are referring to is exactly what I used. FYI, some spacers come with longer countersunk screws so that they can be fixed in the proper position using the rotor retaining screw holes. This feature can be useful with cars that use lug bolts instead of studs like Porsches. All of these have already been discussed earlier in this thread.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:46 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 344 Posts

I learned about that method from a commercial door mechanic. He called it waking up the screw.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:44 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by storii
You may be referring to an either pneumatic or electric impact wrench? The manual impact driver that I used for the job was nowhere near those in the torque department. I can't imagine that it can generate enough torque to snap the screw head off. Having actually done the job, I can now see that a ratchet with a screw driver bit could have done the job just as well, though.
Lol, I got you. I assumed we were talking about an electric impact wrench.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel spacer removal-countersunk screws don't want to come out