Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Market Discussion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018 | 11:39 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche Market Discussion...

Check this our guys. Towards the end (51 min area?) both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Spyders, as well as GT4's, are discussed. Worthwhile grabbing a cub of coffee and watching if you haven't seen it.

Facebook Post

It's an excellent discussion of collectible Porsches...
Old 01-21-2018 | 03:21 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Check this our guys. Towards the end (51 min area?) both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Spyders, as well as GT4's, are discussed. Worthwhile grabbing a cub of coffee and watching if you haven't seen it.

https://www.facebook.com/porscheclub...56046484168430

It's an excellent discussion of collectible Porsches...
Always good to hear. Wish I still had my Cayman R which was $90k new, so heavily optioned which made it very unique. But my 981 Spyder is quite nicely optioned too and I bought it to be my car to keep for decades. Knowing the right Porsche cars to buy is a step in the right direction.
Old 01-21-2018 | 03:27 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for sharing. Good catch on GT4 and Spyders
Old 01-21-2018 | 06:06 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

I was on that panel and had previously been in love with the 987 Spyder and Cayman R, but had not spent significant time in a 981 generation Spyder. I was blessed that my ride for the week in Scottsdale was a 2016 981 Boxster Spyder. WHAT A CAR! I can see why this group is so smitten with it. Magnificent steering, great shift quality, enough power to be very entertaining but not over the top and the best sounding PSE I have ever heard. If you know of a great one, I am now in the market!

Nathan
Old 01-21-2018 | 07:52 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nathan1
I was on that panel and had previously been in love with the 987 Spyder and Cayman R, but had not spent significant time in a 981 generation Spyder. I was blessed that my ride for the week in Scottsdale was a 2016 981 Boxster Spyder. WHAT A CAR! I can see why this group is so smitten with it. Magnificent steering, great shift quality, enough power to be very entertaining but not over the top and the best sounding PSE I have ever heard. If you know of a great one, I am now in the market!

Nathan
Nathan, those of us who hang out here appreciate your comments on the Spyders at the event. We sort of feel like we're a small group of folks who know something the majority of the automotive world doesn't know about these special cars. It's always interesting, too, to hear comments from people getting a chance to experience a Spyder for the first time, particularly those like you who have owned "[a] few P-cars . . . "

Once the Spyder bites, it bites hard as you are perhaps learning! Good luck in your hunt should you decide to pursue ownership.
Old 01-21-2018 | 08:05 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nathan1

Nathan
They've had this car for a little while. They started out with it priced at around $110k if memory serves.

http://www.porscheaustin.com/auto/us...n-tx/22553436/
Old 01-21-2018 | 08:15 PM
guab
Pro

It's pretty insane that every time I drive the car I ask the question... would more power make this car better on the street and the answer is always NO. This car is literally perfect.. other than maybe needing to be a bit more loud, but that's probably the american muscle in me. After driving through some good roads this morning I think I understand why people want the buckets in this car though. I think I would get annoyed at getting in/out of them.
Old 01-21-2018 | 08:27 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by guab
It's pretty insane that every time I drive the car I ask the question... would more power make this car better on the street and the answer is always NO. This car is literally perfect.. other than maybe needing to be a bit more loud, but that's probably the american muscle in me. After driving through some good roads this morning I think I understand why people want the buckets in this car though. I think I would get annoyed at getting in/out of them.
I had GT2 seats in my Cayman R and normal sport seats in my '11 Spyder. Already having experienced unforgiving seats made me want the sport seats for the 981 Spyder, which is what I have. 918 seats look fantastic, but are not near as comfortable and I plan on driving my Spyder deep into my senior years.
Old 01-21-2018 | 08:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
They've had this car for a little while. They started out with it priced at around $110k if memory serves.

http://www.porscheaustin.com/auto/us...n-tx/22553436/
Geez, who knew the Spyder won all of these awards (not that I'm complaining)??

"Customer Love Index Winner" ?? Hmmm . . . how did I ever miss this prestigious accolade!

Awards

10Best Cars (2016 Model)
- Car And Driver
Best Bet: Convertibles (2016 Model)
- Cars.com
Best Bet: Sports Cars (2016 Model)
- Cars.com
Best Cars for Sun Lovers (2016 Model)
- Cars.com
Best Luxury Brand (2016 Model)
- US News
Best Retained Value: Honorable Mention (2016 Model)
- Edmunds
Brand Image Awards: Best Performance Brand - Luxury (2016 Model)
- Kelley Blue Book
Customer Love Index Winner: Luxury Brand (2016 Model)
- Strategic Vision
Initial Quality Study (IQS): Top Models (2016 Model)
- J.D. Power and Associates
Performance and Design: Highest Ranked in Compact Premium Sporty Car Segment (2016 Model)
- J.D. Power and Associates
Top Recommended Convertibles (2016 Model)
- Edmunds
Old 01-21-2018 | 08:46 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guab
It's pretty insane that every time I drive the car I ask the question... would more power make this car better on the street and the answer is always NO. This car is literally perfect..
And, in reference to a tire upgrade thread currently underway, I ask the question, would I want wider, stickier tires with more grip and the answer is always NO. Porsche under-tired this car for a reason. I wouldn't even mind a little LESS grip
Old 01-21-2018 | 11:55 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

I was at the panel discussion and I was glad to hear Nathan's and the other's comments towards the end... both my Spyder and 914 got a lot of love, well deserved of course
Old 01-22-2018 | 02:48 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
I guess my evaluation of the value of my time is different than yours. I can't possibly imagine spending an hour watching mindless video in the hopes you get your 5 minutes of fame.
Wow, that's a bit harsh. The guy posts a video of an esteemed group of folks who know a bit about Porsches and market trends thinking it may be of interest to most of us here. To save us time in case we can't watch the whole hour-plus video immediately, he identifies for us at what minute mark the discussion turns to Spyders, another nice gesture. I don't think most who watched it found it to be "mindless video" at all, nor do I think anyone was looking for their five minutes of fame (really?). The guy could have just as easily kept the video and panel discussion to himself and not shared with the rest of us. Plus, by your comments you've offended one of the panelist who took the time to post here.
Old 01-22-2018 | 08:53 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

^^^^^^ Well said I watched the entire presentation and it was very informative so I appreciate it being posted to share with the group. He could have kept it to himself, and I guess if one values their time so much why even post a reply on something that adds no value? Again it was great to lean about so many other Porsche’s and good insight. Made me think twice about selling my Spyder, and really glade I sold my RS instead ............again thanks for posting we appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2018 | 11:47 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

I think it's just amazing - the whole Porsche brand - where not only are the older AC's holding value but now some of the newer water cooled and the GT cars that are worth more than MRSP even before they get delivered. There are very very few things in this world like this. I suppose new condos here in Vancouver fit this category but you get what I mean. And nice to see the 928 and 944s getting some attention. Incredible business model of delivering one less car than the market demands.
Old 01-22-2018 | 11:55 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing me say this, but there's something very special about the boxster spyder. Both versions.

Quick Reply: Porsche Market Discussion...